IGNORED

QLD COVID-19 support thread

Babetty

I am very supportive of the measures the Qld Govt is putting in to prevent a big outbreak.

But... My dad is terminally ill in hospital 1.5 aways away from me and going downhill fast. :( I won't be able to visit him now. His hospital (in Toowoomba) is doing a "no visitors" rule anyway from 6pm tonight, despite not being in the greater brisbane area.

I am sad that his last year of life has been spent with travel restrictions and now that he is quite sick and about to die (he has mesothelioma) and no-one can visit him. :( He can't hear well, so phone calls not great and he is useless with technology.

So that's all crap.

Check with the ward Jerry, you should be able to see him on compassionate grounds I think.

So sorry you are in this position.

According to the Health Minister, as of Friday night, none of the 79 contacts have returned a positive Covid result.

We know it’s early days and they could still be in the incubation phase but fingers crossed their subsequent results will also be negative.

ClaudiaCosette

Nice day for it. Summer rain is my favourite weather :green_heart:

It is completely perfect. I realised that today was the day DH was going to take all the kids to MIL's and I would've had the house to myself ALL DAY. On this day of pyjama weather. It would have been bliss. Oh well.

Well I've just done my weekly grocery shop (Saturday is my day, wasn't going to race in like a crazy person yesterday). All was pretty calm and quiet, everyone in masks, got everything I needed.

Product limit only tripped me up once - I could only buy 1 tin of black beans instead of 2, as I was also buying a tin of tomato's, so I'll just have to tweak that recipe a bit.

I'd rather us do a 3 day lockdown now and be able to start school on time in 19 days' time. I don't want to do school at home if it can be avoided.

This needed more than a like. So true!!! DS is starting at a new school this year (high school) and doesn't know anyone, so I'd hate for him to be plunged into remote learning from the start!

Well I've just done my weekly grocery shop (Saturday is my day, wasn't going to race in like a crazy person yesterday). All was pretty calm and quiet, everyone in masks, got everything I needed.

Product limit only tripped me up once - I could only buy 1 tin of black beans instead of 2, as I was also buying a tin of tomato's, so I'll just have to tweak that recipe a bit.

Yeah, I really love how individual meat products are listed and people can have 2 of each - so 2 sausages, 2 mince, 2 lots of burgers but the cheap veggo products are all lumped into the one category - canned vegetables -which for some reason includes legumes!!! So we can't buy enough to make a whole meal :roll: Just means vegetarians have to shop at both supermarkets instead of one to be able to make a single meal so more potential covid exposure. Also, for some reason lockdowns cause all the people who also buy several different kinds of meat to suddenly take up legumes as a protein source. Can a meat eater answer me that? Why do lockdowns cause you to crave legumes?

ClaudiaCosette

I'd rather us do a 3 day lockdown now and be able to start school on time in 19 days' time. I don't want to do school at home if it can be avoided.

This needed more than a like. So true!!! DS is starting at a new school this year (high school) and doesn't know anyone, so I'd hate for him to be plunged into remote learning from the start!

I really can't face the thought of school at home again. It would be a little easier now because my kids are better at reading (and everything, really) now so hopefully wouldn't need as much help, and my little ones are not quite as needy as they in March/April. But still.

We have a few days on the coast booked for a week and a half. It's past the point where I could cancel and get our deposit back, so I'm just sitting on it at the moment. It's not a huge loss if we can't go (tbh I'm kind of stressing about it so I wouldn't mind too much ...) but the kids would be disappointed.

The tinned food should be two of each type: in Vic I could get 2 x tomatoes, 2 x chick peas and 2 x corn. Ridiculous to do it any other way. This was Coles.

Yeah, I really love how individual meat products are listed and people can have 2 of each - so 2 sausages, 2 mince, 2 lots of burgers but the cheap veggo products are all lumped into the one category - canned vegetables -which for some reason includes legumes!!! So we can't buy enough to make a whole meal :roll: Just means vegetarians have to shop at both supermarkets instead of one to be able to make a single meal so more potential covid exposure. Also, for some reason lockdowns cause all the people who also buy several different kinds of meat to suddenly take up legumes as a protein source. Can a meat eater answer me that? Why do lockdowns cause you to crave legumes?

Unfortunately I think lots of people buy it because of it's shelf life. A pantry filler that makes them think they will be well prepared should they run out of foods they usually eat. However it winds up eventually being thrown out because it's not something they eat and they never actually run out of food.

#notallbeanbuyers

Also, for some reason lockdowns cause all the people who also buy several different kinds of meat to suddenly take up legumes as a protein source. Can a meat eater answer me that? Why do lockdowns cause you to crave legumes?

I suspect that lockdown makes people think more of soups and stews and being frugal - legumes are a reliable pantry staple.

As a meat eater, I'd buy black beans or kidney beans for various meals I make in a normal week anyway, but I can see it's a huge inconvenience for those that have legumes as a key part of their diet.

I still wonder why they have to give notice of restrictions...

Agreed.

But then they make them retrospective. Like some states are making it a need to iso if you were in Brisbane between today and the 2nd.

Yes, seems many are dashing out of Brisbane. Let's hope it is just people who were holidaying here and leaving tomorrow normally.

Doubt it. Hope it doesn't spread beyond Brisbane.

Or the usual Friday afternoon commute - it's generally fairly bad on a Friday afternoon is my understanding anyway. I bet there were a few people who had booked weekends at the coasts who are dashing to get out of Brissie before 6pm.

I ended up being one of the people at the shops this morning. I was planning to go anyway to do the weekly shop as I have today off and figured I could get it out of the way so we could do fun things as a family on the weekend (ha ha ha). Announcement was 8am, DH rang me at 8:25 to tell me (I was dropping DS2 off at daycare). I figured it was early enough that the shops wouldn't be crazy. I got to the shop around 8:35/8:40 and the carpark wasn't packed and there weren't too many people as I walked in, so I kept going. The supermarket was definitely busier than usual but it was only as I got deeper in that I realised how busy it actually was. By that stage I was committed. I joined the queue for the checkout at 9:05 and got through the checkout around 9:50. A lot of the delay was due to most of the checkouts not being open. I'm sure they were frantically ringing all off-duty staff to see who could come in - this demand was entirely unanticipated.

By the time I left, they had stopped people coming in because the shop was too busy. Ironically, most people were in the queue by then, so those who were coming in would have been able to get their groceries quickly even if they then had to wait ages to check out. The queue to access the store was through the whole centre and close to the carpark.

It will be interesting to see if there's another rush tomorrow, or if most people hit the shops today. If I'd been at work today as I usually would be, or if I hadn't heard the announcement til later, I think I would have just waited it out and eaten whatever we have on hand. Even if lockdown is extended, we can still go shopping.

Very few people were wearing masks. I had one, but there were fewer than 1 in 10, maybe 1 in 20, who did. I know it's not mandatory yet, but surely the more contagious strain of the virus potentially being out in the community would be enough to make people do the right thing.

What’s the point of dashing out if you have to iso anyway?

The tinned food should be two of each type: in Vic I could get 2 x tomatoes, 2 x chick peas and 2 x corn. Ridiculous to do it any other way. This was Coles.

Not here sadly. Two cans or jars containing anything non meat is it.

I wish we could educate the carnivorous world who make these decisions on what is vegetables and what is actually protein. i.e. meat.

Perhaps I could print off a lot of labels and whack 'ém on cans. From now on I'm calling chickpeas "canned sausages", black beans are "canned mince", and lentils are "canned burgers". Then we too can get 2 of each cheap protein. - plus 2 canned veggies, same as everyone else.

Yes, seems many are dashing out of Brisbane. Let's hope it is just people who were holidaying here and leaving tomorrow normally.

Or the usual Friday afternoon commute - it's generally fairly bad on a Friday afternoon is my understanding anyway. I bet there were a few people who had booked weekends at the coasts who are dashing to get out of Brissie before 6pm.

What’s the point of dashing out if you have to iso anyway?

I'd forgotten you have to iso if you've been in Brisbane, and not just if you're in Brisbane at lockdown time.

The retrospective Iso seems to be a new things governments are adopting - fingers crossed it stops the mass evac of lockdown areas.

magic_marker

Sorry to hear your news [mention]Jerry[/mention]

From a Victorian.

And it's perfectly within normal for cottom PJ pants.

acidulous osprey

Have you found the new Afghani supermarket in Logan Central? The Woolies end of things it's a couple of shops past Liquorland. It's utterly fabulous and has lots of legumes and lots of other lovely things.

Because they are cheap, filling and nutritious.

Are there any limits on dried legumes?

Lentils in particular are quite quick to cook.

Kerilyntaryn21

Yes I remember about the 2 can thing from March, we'e vegetarian and couldn't have corn and beans

Edited by Kerilyntaryn21

We're all on holidays and a bit lazy, so didn't bother grocery shopping at the beginning of the week. Yesterday we ran out of milk, bread, toilet paper, and icecream, so we'd planned to do a big shop, as we'd essentially cleaned out the cupboard and freezer. Spent about an hour in line at Aldi.

Today has been quite nice - the weather is unusually cool, so we did a few cleaning jobs, I had a huge wardrobe cleanout, sorted shoes, jewellery, pjs etc. Finished a board game, played Nintendo.

DH is due to go back to work on Monday (he still can), DD1 has a big role in a play this week, the first rehearsal was supposed to be on Monday, but now will be on Zoom, and there'll be another hour of rehearsals each day for the rest of the week. DD2 and I still on holidays for another week, the I return to work, and she'll go to vacation care for a week, if all goes back to normal.

Princess Peach

Sigh, apparently the roads out of Brisbane are gridlocked.

The traffic heading north was insane.

I went to a funeral yesterday, so drove up from the Gold Coast to just south of Caboolture for the funeral, I left here at 8am, the traffic up was fine, but heading home just after 3pm, the traffic northbound was bumper to bumper from there, plus as far north as you could see on the overpass all the way down further south than Movie World.

But I do feel it crazy that the Gold Coast isn’t included in the lockdown. More people move south than would be heading to the north side of town.

ETA - and yes I am quarantining at home for the next 3 days. It’s a good thing I read the media daily otherwise I wouldn’t have had a clue about needing to do that.

Advertisement