IGNORED

QLD COVID-19 support thread

Babetty

VictorineTheCatLover

Well DH and I cleaned out the pantry and got rid of some food that was well past expiry, cat caught the mouse that came out, I made some bread, I've done two loads in the dishwasher of containers that came out of said pantry, I've watched the last episode of Star Trek Discovery and about to watch some more House of Cards. Might get some more crochet done later too lol

Oh and I told off some wanker on Facebook who is complaining about having to wear a mask when out in their car. Fucking well stay at home then you knob!

Princess Peach

Meanwhile is it just me that is irrationally annoyed at the media saying Moreton, when it’s actually Moreton Bay council.

Well I've just done my weekly grocery shop (Saturday is my day, wasn't going to race in like a crazy person yesterday). All was pretty calm and quiet, everyone in masks, got everything I needed.

Product limit only tripped me up once - I could only buy 1 tin of black beans instead of 2, as I was also buying a tin of tomato's, so I'll just have to tweak that recipe a bit.

Yeah, I really love how individual meat products are listed and people can have 2 of each - so 2 sausages, 2 mince, 2 lots of burgers but the cheap veggo products are all lumped into the one category - canned vegetables -which for some reason includes legumes!!! So we can't buy enough to make a whole meal :roll: Just means vegetarians have to shop at both supermarkets instead of one to be able to make a single meal so more potential covid exposure. Also, for some reason lockdowns cause all the people who also buy several different kinds of meat to suddenly take up legumes as a protein source. Can a meat eater answer me that? Why do lockdowns cause you to crave legumes?

I can assure you lockdowns are not going to cause many meat eaters to crave legumes!? That would be weird.

Much more likely that people who eat legumes but haven't prepared for this moment by buying a supply of dried legumes in the past are panic buying canned legumes now.

Fun fact - dried legumes can last at least 2 years if stored in a cool, dry place. Maybe buy yourself a bag for next time?

Meanwhile is it just me that is irrationally annoyed at the media saying Moreton, when it’s actually Moreton Bay council.

Actually it's Moreton Bay Regional Council ;)

Hope everyone is having a good day 1 of lockdown. I got the Christmas tree packed away, did some long overdue weeding in the front yard and supervised DD rollerblading out in our cul de sac. Actually nice to have a quiet day at home - usually we only have that when I'm too tired to actually do anything!

Or the usual Friday afternoon commute - it's generally fairly bad on a Friday afternoon is my understanding anyway. I bet there were a few people who had booked weekends at the coasts who are dashing to get out of Brissie before 6pm.

What’s the point of dashing out if you have to iso anyway?

I'd forgotten you have to iso if you've been in Brisbane, and not just if you're in Brisbane at lockdown time.

I feel that Morrison has muddied the waters to try and be seen to be proactive. He didn’t get involved and declare Vic or NSW a national hotspot. He left it to the states which actually control their border restrictions.

Greater Brisbane’s short, sharp lockdown is so the contact tracers have a chance to catch up since the initial case had 79 close contacts and this is a period of lots of travelling and mingling. The initial Covid tests of those close contacts have not produced a positive yet. It may still happen which is why they and their contacts should be isolating.

For others who have been in Greater Brisbane since Jan 2, but are currently outside that zone, you don’t have to fully isolate but should abide by Greater Brisbane’s lockdown rules. Those rules still allow for ‘essential’ shopping, exercise, care giving etc.

So, those who were leaving Brisbane may already had plans to be out of Brisbane on a Friday afternoon. Very normal Brisbane behaviour. They don’t have to isolate BUT have been asked to follow the lockdown rules until Monday 6pm.

It isn’t mandatory which I thought was strange considering how connected both the Sunshine and Gold Coasts are to Brisbane. I thought politics and economics were at play because this is one of the prime business times for those areas and locking them down would not be popular.

10YearsLater

Not in Brisbane but work there and chose this week to start travelling on the trains and get COVID symptoms. Thankfully my COVID test just returned negative but still hanging out at home until Monday night as is the directive.

Thankful it’s not COVID and we didn’t need toilet paper OR food but not happy I feel so unwell this ‘long’ weekend.

Locking down as we were in Brisbane for some of the days the cleaner was in the community. It's weird to be locked down amidst an otherwise normal area with everyone else going about business as normal.

DH and his entire workplace was due to return to work Monday his manager messaged tonight that current plan is to work from home Monday with a call tomorrow to discuss as 95% of his work requires him to be in the office, warehouse or onsite doing installations at mostly medical facilities.

Sancti-claws

See, you learn something every day.

I am not in the SE corner but I deal with some government departments and they have South East, South West and Moreton region offices that I have to deal with. There you go.

Sancti-claws

I noticed on the list this morning from the hotel cleaner -

Train from Altandi Station to Roma Street at 7:00am Saturday, January 2

Train from Central Station to Altandi Station at 4:00pm Saturday, January 2

Woolworths at Calamvale Central Shopping Centre between 11:00am and midday, Sunday January 3

Coles at Sunnybank Hills between 7:30am ad 8:00am Tuesday, January 5

Newsagency at Sunnybank Hills, corner of Compton Road, between 8:00am and 8:15am Tuesday, January 5

Really quite an exemplary worker - not hitting peak hour and very few shoppers would have been around except for the Calamvale trip - obviously not like our friends last year who were very busy out and about.

ClaudiaCosette

I went out for exercise for the first time with a mask (I've only worn them before when it was mandated for healthcare facilities a little while back). I totally support mask-wearing, but it's not exactly pleasant, is it? It makes it hard to see (I had to be careful where I was stepping as couldn't see the footpath as normal), my glasses really fogged up, and my lips got all dry. Kudos to all those who have been wearing them for a lot longer.

For whatever reason I'm a very humid breather and mine ends up kind of soggy and gross - but once it's wet, the air is much cooler so there's that.

ClaudiaCosette

For whatever reason I'm a very humid breather and mine ends up kind of soggy and gross - but once it's wet, the air is much cooler so there's that.

I think it also helped that it's not so hot today. I'd hate to think what a mask will be like on a normal humid Brisbane day!

3 new contact locations added in Maleny as a result of the returned traveller from the UK:

https://www.qld.gov.au/health/conditions/health-alerts/coronavirus-covid-19/current-status/contact-tracing

This might be a bit more of a concern than the Brisbane case...I have noticed that there is little social distancing or mask wearing on the coast.

One cafe I am wondering why the health department hasn’t shut them down yet. There are patrons in different tables sitting literally, shoulder to shoulder. DH suggested it may be because they are outdoors but I wouldn’t dine there.

Yeah, I really love how individual meat products are listed and people can have 2 of each - so 2 sausages, 2 mince, 2 lots of burgers but the cheap veggo products are all lumped into the one category - canned vegetables -which for some reason includes legumes!!! So we can't buy enough to make a whole meal :roll: Just means vegetarians have to shop at both supermarkets instead of one to be able to make a single meal so more potential covid exposure. Also, for some reason lockdowns cause all the people who also buy several different kinds of meat to suddenly take up legumes as a protein source. Can a meat eater answer me that? Why do lockdowns cause you to crave legumes?

Have you found the new Afghani supermarket in Logan Central? The Woolies end of things it's a couple of shops past Liquorland. It's utterly fabulous and has lots of legumes and lots of other lovely things.

Ariana? - they're my go to for spices and possibly strangely, shoes. Mostly I was just having a whinge about how much meat eaters are allowed compared to vegetarians reading the list. I myself am good unitl next week because it got announced midway through my grocery cycle. Just hope they take the buying limits off sooner than later.

acidulous osprey

Have you found the new Afghani supermarket in Logan Central? The Woolies end of things it's a couple of shops past Liquorland. It's utterly fabulous and has lots of legumes and lots of other lovely things.

Ariana? - they're my go to for spices and possibly strangely, shoes. Mostly I was just having a whinge about how much meat eaters are allowed compared to vegetarians reading the list. I myself am good unitl next week because it got announced midway through my grocery cycle. Just hope they take the buying limits off sooner than later.

No although Ariana is good, the new one is huge and has a wider range of products. Same row of shops as Woolworths. They don't seem to have shoes but they have awesome china and glass and carpets.

I would think limits will be lifted soon if the transmission remains so low.

Good news again today - 0 cases and over 100 close contacts of the case have been tested, returned negative results (but of course continue quarantining for 14 days)

What an extraordinary person:

"Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk says a cleaner who contracted COVID-19 at a Brisbane quarantine hotel helped battle a potential outbreak by working through the night with contact tracers to put together a full list of close contacts. "

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-10/coronavirus-live-news-covid19-brisbane-lockdown-public-alert/13045436

Good news again today - 0 cases and over 100 close contacts of the case have been tested, returned negative results (but of course continue quarantining for 14 days)

It’s great news.

The contacts of contacts should be in isolation too AND the unknown contacts will currently be in lockdown with mask wearing so we should be able to stop any chains of transmissions early on.

What an extraordinary person:

"Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk says a cleaner who contracted COVID-19 at a Brisbane quarantine hotel helped battle a potential outbreak by working through the night with contact tracers to put together a full list of close contacts. "

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-10/coronavirus-live-news-covid19-brisbane-lockdown-public-alert/13045436

I wonder too if this person being a worker in a quarantine facility has more general awareness about being covid safe in the community, hence no close contacts have tested positive so far.

147 people have been declared close contacts of the cleaner who contracted the UK variant of COVID-19 on January 2 while working at a quarantine hotel, with 112 of them testing negative.

That’s a quote from The Australian today.

147 close contacts! The list of public places she attended is pretty small so many of these contacts must be in private homes. Pretty consistent with the generalisations of the suburbs affected being multigenerational and fairly social.

Advertisement