IGNORED

VIC support thread #4

Jolly_F

nom_de_plume

@Ballogo I prepped it yesterday and let it do a slow rise overnight so just had to bake it off this morning. I haven't made bread for a while. I'm definitely going to undo any benefit of running 😆

• Like 3

LemonMyrtle
3 minutes ago, Ballogo said:

5 cases +1 acquired overseas

36 000 tests

And people wanted the lockdown ended early. This isn’t over yet. 

• Like 3

magic_marker
15 minutes ago, LemonMyrtle said:

And people wanted the lockdown ended early. This isn’t over yet. 

Before they released the information on the Delta Variant, I'm sure some people were being hopeful.

• Like 1

If these cases were all isolating already, it won't matter. Sutton has said he expects more positives, there are so many close contacts. 

• Like 5

A consistent number at the moment is a sign of control. If there was no lockdown we'd be getting doubling daily. I am not too stressed about 5 and 36,000 tests. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, WaitForMe said:

Geez I can't believe the cases are still trickling through.

We've got 5,000 close contacts in isolation though - I was expecting more cases, but hoping the majority, if not all, are already quarantining.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Kavity said:

If it remains a trickle I still believe schools at least should go back next week.

It will totally depend on the story behind the cases.

Five unrelatd cases in people who were not isolating, are not yet connected to a positive case, and have been moving about through the community, and you can bet your bottom dollar the schools won't be going back.

I acknowledge that's an extreme situation, but it's why the number is irrelevant.

20 x cases of people already in quarantine would be better than that. Hell 100 already isolation would be better than that.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, MsLaurie said:

Isn’t it funny how quickly perspective changes- I saw 36000 tests and went “oh gosh that’s a bit low” 

Two weeks ago that would have been a bumper day!

Same!  We might break our vaccination record though. The GP figures have sometimes been around 30K, so on top of the 24k in the hubs, that's a very big figure.    Something to hope for! 

• Like 3

Lorem ipsum

HiHi all,

I was here last lockdown, and have been reading along, but not posting. 

Raf Epstein (has been very reliable- I'm sure someone purposely leaks to him) has tweeted that 2 of the 5 got tested cause of the exposure sites, but they have been isolating 

So a bit of a mixed bag. Good on the isolating, not so good on the stranger to stranger transmission 

• Like 7

Welcome back @Lorem ipsum! Pity about the circumstances!

Presuming that’s accurate (and Raf Epstein is usually pretty good), I guess it shows the logic behind publicising exposure sites.

Hopefully with lockdown they won’t have too many further exposure sites or close contacts 🤞

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MsLaurie said:

Presuming that’s accurate (and Raf Epstein is usually pretty good), I guess it shows the logic behind publicising exposure sites.

Hopefully with lockdown they won’t have too many further exposure sites or close contacts 🤞

That's true, and will make a big difference ongoing for any unexpected positives, although let's hope they're not aged care workers!

• Like 2

Lorem ipsum
Just now, MsLaurie said:

Thanks, 

I'm hopeful on the exposure sites, I think the latest one is from the 31st.

If everyone is doing the right thing then it 'should' be ok??

But the.pessimist in me is thinking it just takes one person to be infected and not test that'll keep us here. 

1 minute ago, Lorem ipsum said:

Thanks, 

I'm hopeful on the exposure sites, I think the latest one is from the 31st.

If everyone is doing the right thing then it 'should' be ok??

But the.pessimist in me is thinking it just takes one person to be infected and not test that'll keep us here. 

Except hopefully now they'll be wearing masks most of the time.  Of course that doesn't include kids under 12, and if they have late secondary, the feedback from teachers is that they are less than perfect wearers of masks, so if they live in a family unit masks are limited in their usefulness.

• Like 2

Silverstreak

DS and I walked to the shops and now I've got creamy chicken casserole in the slow cooker, I put in lots of wholegrain mustard nom nom.

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

VeritasVinumArte

@BornagirlMr15 (year 10) said his British teacher ripped into the class about proper mask wearing (mine does wear correctly) saying he has had friends die in the UK and everyone in the UK knows family and/or friends who have died. Lots of masks sheepishly put on properly for the rest of the day.

• Like 9

Just want to thank everyone for this forum. I don’t whinge to anyone in real life, especially my family in Sydney who just don’t get it and always say stuff like how good Sydney covid tracers are or whatever (ergggh). It’s nice to have somewhere to blow off steam!

I’ve lived the suggestions for places to go to celebrate the end of lockdown too thanks so much!

in that spirit, I’m thinking of a movie night with my 6 and 9 year old tonight. Last week we watched the Mitchell’s vs the machines which was actually really enjoyable for me too. Does anyone have any suggestions for good family friendly movies?

• Like 8

Hotchocolate
1 hour ago, Kavity said:

If it remains a trickle I still believe schools at least should go back next week.

I agree with you. I want nothing more than the kids to go back to school.

But they won’t.

They’ll be some reason ie it’s new variant, this ones more contagious, we don’t know where it’s coming from, we need to buckle down, we’re all in this together etc etc.... COVID is a bi*tch

VeritasVinumArte

@Elfie34 I am a Sydneysider who has spent the past 21 years in Melbourne (moved as a 25yo), but yeah I am avoiding speaking to my family in Sydney as it just makes my blood boil..... anti Dan, anti lockdown etc.

26 minutes ago, Elfie34 said:

Just want to thank everyone for this forum. I don’t whinge to anyone in real life, especially my family in Sydney who just don’t get it and always say stuff like how good Sydney covid tracers are or whatever (ergggh). It’s nice to have somewhere to blow off steam!

I’ve lived the suggestions for places to go to celebrate the end of lockdown too thanks so much!

in that spirit, I’m thinking of a movie night with my 6 and 9 year old tonight. Last week we watched the Mitchell’s vs the machines which was actually really enjoyable for me too. Does anyone have any suggestions for good family friendly movies?

🧡

We've had a lot of family movie nights through all the lockdowns. Particular favourites have been:
Mary Poppins
Mary Poppins Returns
Bedknobs & Broomsticks
Sound of Music
Hotel for Dogs
Bedtime Stories
Alice in Wonderland (the original Disney animated version)
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (the 1971 version)
Ice Age - all of them!

eta: My two are almost 6yo, and 9yo.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, VeritasVinumArte said:

@Elfie34 I am a Sydneysider who has spent the past 21 years in Melbourne (moved as a 25yo), but yeah I am avoiding speaking to my family in Sydney as it just makes my blood boil..... anti Dan, anti lockdown etc.

The media has really done an outstanding job. It’s amazing how humans can be so easily swayed into an opinion even with no evidence. 

• Like 5

nom_de_plume

AV staff to finally get priority access to vaccines from Wed. Halle-fricken-lujah. About time.

• Like 9
  • Love 1

Advertisement