As a guest, you're only seeing half the picture - register now for access to all forums. ×
IGNORED

Victorians hoping to travel interstate in school hols support thread!

Guest Megsmith

2 minutes ago, Megsmith said:

Thanks...today isn’t looking good though. Does QLD going into lockdown mean we can’t enter? I have no idea. 

Well, if Melbourne's anything to go by, you can always enter a place in lockdown.  It's just that generally (wildly generally, given how all the states behave differently) once they go in to lockdown, we will classify them as a red zone, which means 14 days isolation when you get back. 

Depends on whether that's feasible for you. We certainly considered that prospect with each of our trips, and are in the fortunate position of it being possible.

17 minutes ago, Megsmith said:

Thanks...today isn’t looking good though. Does QLD going into lockdown mean we can’t enter? I have no idea. 

We can go in but coming home but I think we may have to go into 14 days HQ if we are coming from a red zone in a locked down state.

Edited by STBG 2

36 minutes ago, Megsmith said:

So there’s no point going anyway as there’s nothing to do during a lockdown. FAAARRRKKKK. 

Depends what you want to do on ‘holidays’.   

Brisbane’s last two lockdowns have only been for 3 days.  We were in a tourist spot during the January snap lockdown (we were following Brisbane lockdown rules) and it was still much more pleasant than being at home.  Weather was nicer, exercising in a different location was good.  Ordered delivery for groceries and takeaway.  We found those 3 days to still be worthwhile. 

8 minutes ago, Bornagirl said:

Can you change your tickets by a day?

We're booked for Friday so would need to change by three days. And see if dh can get more time off work. I'm all for just doing it, we might not get another chance.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, blackcat20 said:

We're booked for Friday so would need to change by three days. And see if dh can get more time off work. I'm all for just doing it, we might not get another chance.

Sorry, thought you were going Sunday, lost track.

FX you can still go. At least it's open for you, i had a feeling they wouldn't given the current uncertainty.

• Like 1

Guest Megsmith

We want to eat out, look at real estate etc. I’m sure things we can’t do in a lockdown. Ok, 3 days announced. If lifted, will Vic still call it a red zone?

SillySausage
4 minutes ago, Megsmith said:

We want to eat out, look at real estate etc. I’m sure things we can’t do in a lockdown. Ok, 3 days announced. If lifted, will Vic still call it a red zone?

You sound like you're in a very similar boat to my family.

They've said SE QLD, not sure if that's just Greater Brisbane or includes Sunshine Coast?

12 minutes ago, Bornagirl said:

Sorry, thought you were going Sunday, lost track.

FX you can still go. At least it's open for you, i had a feeling they wouldn't given the current uncertainty.

I was hoping they'd open to Victoria this week 🙈

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SillySausage said:

You sound like you're in a very similar boat to my family.

They've said SE QLD, not sure if that's just Greater Brisbane or includes Sunshine Coast?

Yes, Sunshine Coast is included

• Sad 1

Guest Megsmith

Yep. I’m gonna cancel, no reason to sit in a little Airbnb staring at the walls and wearing masks outside, if I can have a reasonable school holiday at home. I’m devastated. This is absolutely the last trip I’m booking until Australia is vaccinated. 

Kiwi Bicycle
6 hours ago, blackcat20 said:

I think I just heard Monday for the NZ bubble 😭

Actually it's Wednesday July 7th. Sucks big time.

1 hour ago, Kiwi Bicycle said:

Monday for Victoria (ie midnight Sunday night).

1 hour ago, Kiwi Bicycle said:

We are due to fly back on the 9th. Watching and waiting to see what happens.

In Rotorua at the moment and a lot of the attractions are running on reduced opening hours. A big thermal park has gone bankrupt. It’s sad to see. 

Kiwi Bicycle
26 minutes ago, blackcat20 said:

Monday for Victoria (ie midnight Sunday night).

You are right. I think the article I read was incorrect. I was looking at it going, why a Wednesday?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Kiwi Bicycle said:

You are right. I think the article I read was incorrect. I was looking at it going, why a Wednesday?

I think we're going to struggle to get there, I've sorted most things but we're waiting to see if we can get new flights 😕

• Sad 3

9 hours ago, blackcat20 said:

I think we're going to struggle to get there, I've sorted most things but we're waiting to see if we can get new flights 😕

Hopefully there will be quite a few of you wanting new flights, so more flights will be scheduled.

Do you have to make a hard and fast decision in the next few days?

I am very sad as I believe there is about 1% chance we'll be flying out Sunday. There is no way we are going into a red zone so there'd have to be a lockdown removed and an orange one in it's place to go. 

I see no point in going interstate to be locked down in an Air BNB on the Sunshine Coast then come home to 14 days quarantine.

What I am mainly sad about is all the thousands of business owners devastated by this lockdown. I have so much fury brewing in my brain. I am really angry at the girl who selfishly travelled despite feeling unwell but I am also furious that she was not vaccinated working outside the door of a COVID ward.....WTF.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Bornagirl said:

Hopefully there will be quite a few of you wanting new flights, so more flights will be scheduled.

Do you have to make a hard and fast decision in the next few days?

Yeah DH needs to know for work, as to whether they schedule jobs for him next week or not. They haven’t cancelled our flight yet either so we can’t change yet.

• Sad 1

Regarding car hire, we have been using Worldwide Insure for years to cover the rental excess. It is much cheaper than using the rental car cover for excess reduction and works for home country of you buy the deluxe option. There used to be Tripcover from Australia as well but that has been suspended.

• Like 1

Advertisement