IGNORED

Victorians hoping to travel interstate in school hols support thread!

Guest Megsmith

Guest Megsmith

I thought I’d start a thread and see if anyone else is madly watching the cases to see if this will actually, finally happen!? Somewhere to support each other and give updates on the travel sitch. 

my story- we usually go to (pre covid) the Sunshine Coast at least twice a year....this has now been cancelled 3 times and we are desperate for some winter warmth and a break after what we’ve been through inVic! So, I have Hamilton tix In Sydney (matinee and evening, yes I’m obsessed!) bought last year for these school hols, then a connecting flight to SC for a week. I am DYING for a holiday. Remote teaching and running a school in these times is soooo stressful. I am oddly optimistic that it might happen....

does anyone else have interstate plans these school hols? 😀

Yes @Megsmith! We’re due to go to SA on 28 June. A week in Clare Valley and Flinders Ranges with my sister and her family, then a week in Adelaide at my parents around my younger DS’s birthday. Truly holding my breath right now! Double checked the SA border restrictions this morning and still shut…..

Guest Megsmith
19 minutes ago, leosmum said:

Yes @Megsmith! We’re due to go to SA on 28 June. A week in Clare Valley and Flinders Ranges with my sister and her family, then a week in Adelaide at my parents around my younger DS’s birthday. Truly holding my breath right now! Double checked the SA border restrictions this morning and still shut…..

I so hope you get to go Leosmum! Is SA intense with borders? It has been exhausting, I never realised how much I relied on trips to keep my sanity. At the very least, NSW is pretty lax with borders, so I’m hoping Hamilton will happen and maybe the QLD part won’t (thanks irresponsible Vics with covid who drove up there 🤦‍♂️). 

24 minutes ago, leosmum said:

The transition committee in SA meets every Tuesday, so hopefully you get a bit more info then.

I’m not Victorian, I’m from SA (although Victorian at heart, having lived the first 18 years of my life there), but I am keeping a close eye on the Sunshine Coast situation to check if my work and holiday trip can go ahead in the school holidays. If there are any more cases that come up in Sunshine Coast, I will probably just change our accommodation to Brisbane, as I. Can’t afford to quarantine when I get back to SA, and neither can the 2 Yr 12s coming with me.

I am jealous of the Hamilton tickets!

• Like 1

I was meant to go up to Sydney for my Nan’s 90th on the 6th of the 6th but we were in lockdown... I’m watching and wondering whether the 7th of the 7th might be possible... 🤞

5 hours ago, MsLaurie said:

I was meant to go up to Sydney for my Nan’s 90th on the 6th of the 6th but we were in lockdown... I’m watching and wondering whether the 7th of the 7th might be possible... 🤞

Pretty sure you can go to Sydney now.  You just have to declare that you haven't been to any of the exposure sites.

ETA: Sorry, of course that's once our 25k limit is removed.  What I meant is Sydney doesn't have any strict restrictions.

Edited by Bornagirl

Kiwi Bicycle

That's correct. A friend flew up to Sydney from Melbourne yesterday as she was a key note speaker at a work event this Friday. She rang the NSW hotline and checked and put her border papers in and everything was Oked. She's coming home today.

We were meant to be on the Gold Coast this weekend. We have NZ booked for July (school holidays) so keeping our fingers crossed.

Phillipa Crawford

In a haze of post vaccination high DH and I organised an interstate road trip.
Due to head to the Mathoura then in an interesting 'slight' detour to Lightning Ridge. (DD2 turns 21 and I decided to get an Opal for her 21st).

Broken Hill

Wilpena Pound 

Yorke Penninsula

Not holding my breath

Kiwi Bicycle
46 minutes ago, Phillipa Crawford said:

(DD2 turns 21 and I decided to get an Opal for her 21st).

Off topic question, but does anyone else believe/ heard the superstition my grandmother had about opals? That only who have an October birthday can wear them and others get bad luck? She specfically told my mum and aunt that her Opal engagement ring ( she had a October birthday) had to go to my sister who also has an October birthday.

It's probably not well known otherwise opals would hardily sell.

magic_marker
21 minutes ago, Kiwi Bicycle said:

Off topic question, but does anyone else believe/ heard the superstition my grandmother had about opals? That only who have an October birthday can wear them and others get bad luck? She specfically told my mum and aunt that her Opal engagement ring ( she had a October birthday) had to go to my sister who also has an October birthday.

Opals are the October birthstone. Haven't heard anything about it being bad luck to no Octoberians.

• Like 1

oneplusabun

Yes! I am regional and booked to fly to QLD on the 26th. I believe travel restrictions have been eased for regional Victorians but cant work out if we are allowed to fly out of Tullamarine. I am cautiously optimistic although new exposure sites in Geelong may not help my cause.

Edited by oneplusabun
Spelling

1 hour ago, Kiwi Bicycle said:

Yes, definitely considered to be bad luck. But it strangely did not stop my superstitious parents from buying, wearing and loving them.

Phillipa Crawford
1 hour ago, Kiwi Bicycle said:

Now that you mention it I may have heard it. But then I have been known to walk under ladders :)

We are due to fly out to New Zealand on the 25 June but at this stage it’s really tough to work out what will happen.

air New Zealand hasn’t cancelled the flights yet and our accommodation has cancelled (timeshare)

we will know more on the 16/6 when NZ will review the situation again.

it’s all dependent on the case numberd

My husband and I have our first kid free weekend away booked for the last weekend of the holidays. All our family are interstate so we haven't even had a date night since before more 18 month old was born! We have tickets to Hamilton that I booked last October. We have cancelled 7 holidays already over the last year due to Covid and I will be devastated not to have just these two nights away.

• Like 1
  • Crying 4

My belief is that they will want the boarders open by the school holidays as tourism has lost so much money and really needs these school holidays.

• Like 2

I am booked for July 4th to Sunshine Coast and I am still not going to write it off.  We just need the hard border removed which might happen if we have little or no community transmission. 

Q'land need us as much as we need them.

• Like 3

Mumma3again

We are booked to Noosa on 2/7, and then have tickets to Sydney for Hamilton in August. 

I don't think I can cope with yet another cancelled holiday. Still using up all the cancelled travel credits from last year.

• Sad 1

Advertisement