IGNORED

Victorians hoping to travel interstate in school hols support thread!

Guest Megsmith

We are supposed to be in Queensland now.  The nature of my work means that if we don't go now (which we clearly aren't), it's off the table until October at the earliest.  So that's it for us then :-(.

That said, not that it was a relaxing holiday as such, but we did have a very joyful few days reuniting with family in NZ immediately after the bubble opened.  And I will take that in a heartbeat over Queensland.

• Like 3

Ok so we have:

Thursday = 4

Friday = 0

Saturday = 1 which is a case of concern 

Sunday = 1 which is a case easily identified & quarantined

these figures are going in the right direction to open by school holidays which I believe was one of the reasons for entrapment over the long weekend, to stop and possible spreaders travelling and reducing the risk of school holiday lockdown.

just call me Pollyanna as I’m looking for reasons to be glad and positive (attitude not COVID)

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, BKK said:

Ok so we have:

Thursday = 4

Friday = 0

these figures are going in the right direction to open by school holidays which I believe was one of the reasons for entrapment over the long weekend, to stop and possible spreaders travelling and reducing the risk of school holiday lockdown.

just call me Pollyanna as I’m looking for reasons to be glad and positive (attitude not COVID)

Your positive attitude to life, given some of the things you have to deal with, always impresses me!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mumma3again said:

We are booked to Noosa on 2/7, and then have tickets to Sydney for Hamilton in August. 

I don't think I can cope with yet another cancelled holiday. Still using up all the cancelled travel credits from last year.

Yes, mine are also cancelled credits too :)

• Like 1

Pink Cherry Blossom

We have planned a 5 week caravanning trip through central and northern Australia. We have had to delay it for three weeks due to border restrictions 😔 Hopefully SA will open its borders (at least to regional Vic) soon and we will be able to head off at the end of the month.

19 hours ago, Kiwi Bicycle said:

Off topic question, but does anyone else believe/ heard the superstition my grandmother had about opals? That only who have an October birthday can wear them and others get bad luck? She specfically told my mum and aunt that her Opal engagement ring ( she had a October birthday) had to go to my sister who also has an October birthday.

It's probably not well known otherwise opals would hardily sell.

Not a Victorian planning a trip, just intruding in this thread to respond to this.

My DP is an opal cutter (Boulder opal from Western Queensland) I've read lots about opals.  It appears the story about opals being bad luck came from women whose husbands left with "opal fever" - running off to mine opals and not coming back. :(  Opals were considered bad luck by pioneering women due to this issue.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I've never heard the Opal thing either.  I was about to say 'and I've been to Coober Pedy' but of course they would be the last ones to suggest any bad luck due to them!

I must admit opals are not my thing, so I probably don't enter into discussions about them with people. I do like black opals, though. I don't 'get' diamonds either so perhaps I'm just lacking in appreciation.

• Like 1

purplekitty

I think it the opal superstition goes back to my Grandparent's era at least. They were born in the 1880s.

Peacock feathers as well.

• Like 1

Julie3Girls
26 minutes ago, purplekitty said:

I think it the opal superstition goes back to my Grandparent's era at least. They were born in the 1880s.

Peacock feathers as well.

Superstitions about opals go back centuries. Even a quick google search will show you masses of them.  Opals are unfortunately one of the few gemstones that has so many negative superstitions attached to them.

my grandmother used to tell me that opals would pass on luck, so being given one that had been worn by someone else would bring either bad or good luck, depending on the life of the person who had previously worn it.

• Like 1

SillySausage

We are due to fly to Sunshine Coast on June 20th to visit family, so just waiting to see if things change again at the end of this week. I'm super annoyed that Virgin have changed my flights from direct to via Sydney, as I'm travelling by myself with my 3yo and 5yo 😡.

I looked up the QLD gov website today and you cannot travel into QLD if you've been in a hot spot for the past 14 days, however as soon as a place is no longer a hot spot, it doesn't matter how long it's been since you've been there.  So we'll see if Melb is no longer considered a hot spot by the end of the week (like regional Vic now).

8 hours ago, SillySausage said:

We are due to fly to Sunshine Coast on June 20th to visit family, so just waiting to see if things change again at the end of this week. I'm super annoyed that Virgin have changed my flights from direct to via Sydney, as I'm travelling by myself with my 3yo and 5yo 😡.

I looked up the QLD gov website today and you cannot travel into QLD if you've been in a hot spot for the past 14 days, however as soon as a place is no longer a hot spot, it doesn't matter how long it's been since you've been there.  So we'll see if Melb is no longer considered a hot spot by the end of the week (like regional Vic now).

Virgin are beggars for that.  They did that to us going Melb-Newcastle, then Newcastle-Melb, then Darwin-melb. They effectively cancel your flight, but don't say that. They also say that if you wish to cancel the flight, accept the changes, then go in and cancel the flight, which means you've cancelled a flight that's running, and voila, are only entitled to a credit. If you want to straight out cancel, or change to a day when it's direct, you have to hold on the phone for an eternity. Even on the phone for the Darwin-Melb leg, they tried to tell me I was entitled to a credit.  I know that, numpties, but I also happen to know I'm entitled to a refund, like I asked for, and intend to get.

Is there a direct flight somewhere either side of yours, day before, day after?  You're entitled to change it, if so.

The other thing to note is that I believe that the airlines will know more than us. It costs a lot of money to get an airplane ready to fly again. They will not spend that money if they don’t have to. 

Watch and see if they cancel your flights.

1 hour ago, Bornagirl said:

Virgin are beggars for that.  They did that to us going Melb-Newcastle, then Newcastle-Melb, then Darwin-melb. They effectively cancel your flight, but don't say that. They also say that if you wish to cancel the flight, accept the changes, then go in and cancel the flight, which means you've cancelled a flight that's running, and voila, are only entitled to a credit.

This isn’t actually true.

I cancelled my flights at Christmas and they were telling me I could only get a credit.  A friend works for Virgin and said they try and push everyone into credits, but if you insist they will give you a refund.

So I rang back and sure enough got my refund.  So it’s worth calling back and being firm about getting the refund.

22 minutes ago, JenBear said:

This isn’t actually true.

I cancelled my flights at Christmas and they were telling me I could only get a credit.  A friend works for Virgin and said they try and push everyone into credits, but if you insist they will give you a refund.

So I rang back and sure enough got my refund.  So it’s worth calling back and being firm about getting the refund.

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear, because it is actually true that you have to call to get a refund, which is the gist of the comment. If you just do as they say on the email saying your flight's been cancelled, accept the changes, go in and cancel the flight, you will be given a flight credit. 

I went straight to the phone and insisted on a refund, even though they were still trying to tell me I was 'entitled to a credit voucher'. At no point did she say I wasn't entitled to a refund, just tried to push me to a credit, by telling me I was 'entitled' to one (without mentioning I was entitled to a refund). I got the refund, and wouldn't have accepted any less.

I'm talking about what happens when you DON'T call. There is no automatic way of getting a refund, even whey THEY have cancelled the flight. There should be. It's devious.

Maybe Qantas are just as bad, I don't know, their several flight changes we were happy to accept.

• Like 1

SillySausage
2 hours ago, Bornagirl said:

Virgin are beggars for that.  They did that to us going Melb-Newcastle, then Newcastle-Melb, then Darwin-melb. They effectively cancel your flight, but don't say that. They also say that if you wish to cancel the flight, accept the changes, then go in and cancel the flight, which means you've cancelled a flight that's running, and voila, are only entitled to a credit. If you want to straight out cancel, or change to a day when it's direct, you have to hold on the phone for an eternity. Even on the phone for the Darwin-Melb leg, they tried to tell me I was entitled to a credit.  I know that, numpties, but I also happen to know I'm entitled to a refund, like I asked for, and intend to get.

Is there a direct flight somewhere either side of yours, day before, day after?  You're entitled to change it, if so.

There are still two direct flights on the same day, just not the one I booked!!

I got the email asking me to accept the changes or cancel, so far I've just ignored it!  We'll try giving them a call to change to a direct flight.

Edited by SillySausage

4 minutes ago, SillySausage said:

There are still two direct flights on the same day, just not the one I booked!!

I got the email asking me to accept the changes or cancel, so far I've just ignored it!  We'll try giving them a call to change to a direct flight.

Try doing a dummy booking on either of those flights first,  for the max number to see if the seats are available.  I did hear one anecdotal example of someone being told the other flight was booked out, and they said 'no it's not, I could have booked tickets myself on it ten minutes ago'.

Good luck.  I did find once I got through that they were very helpful with changing flights for our Newcastle trip.  The irony was I moved them to a day earlier, and if our original flight had gone, we'd not have got away, we got away the morning of the announcement of the Feb lockdown.

• Like 1

Wrong thread, I know, but looking better for those of you wanting to travel - our two local cases today were both in quarantine in their infectious period.

• Like 2

Ok so we have:

Thursday = 4

Friday = 0

Monday = 2 cases primary contacts and quarantined

• Like 2

Guest Megsmith

I’ve just realised that we’re flying to Sydney then onto SC. I’m guessing there will be some sort of declaration about having been in Vic once we reach QLD, otherwise this is a pretty basic loophole. 

1 hour ago, Megsmith said:

I’ve just realised that we’re flying to Sydney then onto SC. I’m guessing there will be some sort of declaration about having been in Vic once we reach QLD, otherwise this is a pretty basic loophole. 

Any state declaration that I've done (and I've managed to get in a couple of holidays) have wanted to know where you've been for the past 14 days.  To my knowledge it's only NSW that only has declarations for hot spots.  WA, ViC and NT you need a travel pass every time.

6 hours ago, Meepy said:

We only want to go to Moama- hope we will be able to.

Which is a beautiful place and it’s great that you want to help a regional town. 😊 

there is meant to be a brilliant caravan park there. 

• Like 1

Advertisement