IGNORED

How to find a reputable solar panel provider

JustMyGirl

DH took a cold call from a solar provider and gave them our details so they could send us some information. They are going to call Him back in a couple of days. I know the industry is riddled with dodgy providers. How can we check if these are reputable/trustworthy? How did you choose a solar provider?

My husband went through what was essentially a broker; they put your query out to a vetted list of companies who provide a quote. We then selected one and they did the job a few weeks ago.

LemonMyrtle

Ask around, look at all the online reviews. Check how long they have been in business, the really crappy mobs close down and reopen under new names pretty quickly.  Also look at what brand of panels they’re quoting and the reviews on those. Not all panels are equal, cheapest quote often equals crappier components. If you have good quality parts then a dodgy installer isn’t such a problem. If you have dodgy people installing crappy panels and inverter, then you’re stuck with them. 

Check the quality of your roof first too. Friend of mine decided to get solar panels on his roof, but his roof tiles were so old and crappy (just concrete tiles) they they all broke during the install, it caused major leaking, and he had to get a new roof! And the solar company of course refused to take any blame (and to be fair if wasn’t really their fault, anyone, even a hail storm, would have broken those old tiles)

If you're in Brisbane I can give you some suggestions.  Be warned that the super cheap installers are cheap because they skimp on the small but pricey components that many people don't know about, and the quality of the technicians.  So while they may use decent panels, the other stuff most people don't bother checking is often rubbish.  And the service afterwards will disappear with the cheap installers.  So if they, for example, leave your roof leaking, you may have trouble getting them back to fix it.

Edited by Romeo Void
  • Like 2

Also the Solar Quotes website has LOADS of information.  There are reviews about installers as well as components.  So you can check if your installer is well rated or not.  The guy who runs this site (says) he's independent.

Oh, and these guys have great information videos (if you like technical detail).  We didn't use them buy they were super enthusiastic and professional.  https://www.mcelectrical.com.au/blog/

I’d agree community/good karma Facebook groups can give good recommendations. We’ve picked someone in Melbourne because we also know them personally and know they are a long-standing business focused on quality. And is able to talk about our needs and budget, properly assess the property and where to locate panels, give clear info on government rebates etc.

It’s tricky but anyone giving a really hard sell or offering steep discounts could be a red flag.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. I have now realised my local council has a recommended provider so presumably they checked them out well!

We chose based on someone who was long established, used quality hardware and could explain the difference and actually directly employed all of the installers rather than some that won't tell you that they are a front who contract out the install.

Company we used actually did everything from residential to govt contracts for schools and public spaces. 

TinyGiraffe how did you find that information out about them?

the company that DH talked to has very little content on their website. Probably a red flag. 

On 16/06/2021 at 6:30 PM, JustMyGirl said:

TinyGiraffe how did you find that information out about them?

the company that DH talked to has very little content on their website. Probably a red flag. 

It was a combination of their website, Facebook page an the eventual pack they provided when they came for a quote. From memory I found our provider through a referral from the solarquotes website

In general, I found this website super helpful as I had no idea about anything solar when I started. 

Best not to use any company that cold calls or door knocks. Your paying for that. Don’t use their finance, your paying for that too.

You are better off finding a solar company that the owner of the company is an electrician. Lots of the “big” companies don’t offer after service if you have a problem (roof leak, warranty- they say they do but getting them to come back is impossible) and some big companies have gone under in the last couple of years and restarted under different names.

I would recommend finding a small local company

• Like 2

I used SolarQuotes as well, but more to review the actual inverter and panels.

We ended up with 

On 17/06/2021 at 3:41 PM, MillyMoo99 said:

a solar company that the owner of the company is an electrician

and got an Enphase system

Our previous system was one where the installer disappeared, the inverter died still in warranty period but no-one would handle it except the company we just got the new system from. That old inverter - we ended up with 3 of them dying! Wasn't keen on single inverter systems , at least if one of the microinverters dies the rest of the panels will keep producing and exporting.

Edited by qak
additional information

• 3 weeks later...
Sugarplum Poobah

I'd strongly recommend taking out a subscription to https://renew.org.au/

(They used to be called to Alternative Technology Association.) Such an incredible wealth of information on offer. You will have to wait until the end of August though as they're going through a massive IT upgrade and are pausing a number services until then. They're a not-for-profit group and the knowledge base is tremendous.

Advertisement