IGNORED

Handmaid's tale ep 10 **spoilers

Greenbean

Yep also hmmm.

I mean she could have just got him sent back to Gilead and let the laws he helped write determine his fate. It was a bit too "eye for an eye" for my liking with the whole group attacking him. 

I'm also not sure what this sets up for the next season?

I am confused too @Rosie28

There were bits I really liked, eg. Fred hollering “I’m a man, I have rights” as he’s bundled into the van - but overall I’m really not sure how I feel about this episode.

I thought it was brilliant. I feel like I’ve been along June’s journey enough to understand what she did, and even get some sense of the satisfaction she felt. I laughed when then finger fell out (when I saw the parcel I was thinking OMG it’s his FINGER and sure enough…) given Serena’s was chopped off. And the graffiti on the wall, chef’s kiss. June recognised that she has been psychology broken beyond being able to settle back into her “new” life, and the rage she used to survive wasn’t going to go back in its box. She made sure her girls were safe, watched over by one another’s fathers, now it looks like she expects legal retribution for killing Fred? God I hope we see Serena’s son saved from her. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Rosie28 said:

And what was the bit with Luke at the end? She was going to leave again? I need time to process. 

Possibly set up for The Testaments storyline. June was never meant to be playing happy families with Luke and Nichole.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, ainira said:

Possibly set up for The Testaments storyline. June was never meant to be playing happy families with Luke and Nichole.

True, and I’ve never thought much of Luke.

I understand why she/they did it but can’t see why she would be getting in trouble for it? Canada don’t know and Gilead don’t care. If she had washed her face Luke would have been none the wiser.

I did think while watching last night’s episode that we don’t see her with Nicole much….after everything she went through to reunite with one daughter you’d think she’d want to spend as much time as possible with the one she can

Kiwi Bicycle

I wonder how much Turello finding out Serena was going to set up house with Fred swayed him? Even Fred mentioned when he was being dragged into the van that Truello was eyeing up Serena.

nom_de_plume

I thought it was great. Very cleverly done and sets the tone for the rest of the series to change direction.

This season June has been struggling between choosing to move on with her life in Canada, or pursue justice and revenge as she did in Gilead. The scene where she visits Fred and they drink together is absolutely brilliant. Fred's "I miss Offred ..." and June's reply "I miss her too ..." is the moment you know she's made her choice and Fred (and her relationship with Luke) is done for.

Unlike other season finales, I thought this one was wrapped up neatly. Fred's killing mirrors that of the 'salvagings' in Gilead, the clever use of the same Latin phrase his previous handmaid had left in her suicide note, mailing the finger to Serena, and even the song playing as Fred dies (which is the same song the first episode ended with).

I think Serena will either end up back in Gilead in the colonies or as a handmaid, or languishing in jail in Canada. Either way - she won't get to keep her child.

I think June will continue to struggle to overcome her trauma, but will be able to move forward with more of a purpose now she's got her revenge. I think she'll focus on helping the resistance and trying to get Hannah out, working with Lawrence and Nick. I'm still not sure Lawrence isn't playing some sort of double agent, and I don't think Nick will have a happy ending.

I'm also looking forward to seeing the Janine/Aunt Lydia story line play out next season.

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Rosie28 said:

And what was the bit with Luke at the end? She was going to leave again? I need time to process. 

I wondered if that was also knowing Luke wouldn't want to be with her when he found out what she did. And also the fact she loves Nick? 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Greenbean said:

I wondered if that was also knowing Luke wouldn't want to be with her when he found out what she did. And also the fact she loves Nick? 

That’s exactly what I thought. He’ll never understand her trauma. 

The scene that showed a flashback of Fred and June dancing back in Gilead - god he is a good actor, as he really just turns my stomach - could feel the bile rising when he was licking her ear 🤢

3 hours ago, Mrs Claus said:

I understand why she/they did it but can’t see why she would be getting in trouble for it? Canada don’t know and Gilead don’t care. If she had washed her face Luke would have been none the wiser.

I did think while watching last night’s episode that we don’t see her with Nicole much….after everything she went through to reunite with one daughter you’d think she’d want to spend as much time as possible with the one she can

Wouldn’t really make for good TV though if there was lots of Nicole, the kids tend to disappear in most shows - I remember this in Greys Anatomy 😂

The Turello and Serena exchange had me intrigued - I felt maybe there was something we don’t know, like maybe something did happen between them?

Edited by Wolf87

6 minutes ago, Wolf87 said:

That’s exactly what I thought. He’ll never understand her trauma. 

The scene that showed a flashback of Fred and June dancing back in Gilead - god he is a good actor, as he really just turns my stomach - could feel the bile rising when he was licking her ear 🤢

Wouldn’t really make for good TV though if there was lots of Nicole, the kids tend to disappear in most shows - I remember this in Greys Anatomy 😂

The Turello and Serena exchange had me intrigued - I felt maybe there was something we don’t know, like maybe something did happen between them?

True but when Nicole was in it she was always with someone else

apparently nothing has happened but there is definitely something there and they haven’t ruled out something happening next season (Serena and Turello)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mrs Claus said:

True but when Nicole was in it she was always with someone else

apparently nothing has happened but there is definitely something there and they haven’t ruled out something happening next season (Serena and Turello)

Good point!

Interesting. How could you, knowing what she did! 

Kiwi Bicycle

BTW so next season has been confirmed but it looks like the last one. Hulu have just purchased rights for " The Testaments", so I assume June as a character will be retired/ story arc finished.  I think Elizabeth Moss will move into a directing role for the Testaments.

• Like 2

Kiwi Bicycle

Can we guess who was at Fred's justice?

Obviously June and Emily but who else?

Rita?

Moira?

The other handmaids from group therapy?

The Handmaid that escaped with Luke and was  mute for a while?

1 hour ago, Kiwi Bicycle said:

Can we guess who was at Fred's justice?

Obviously June and Emily but who else?

Rita?

Moira?

The other handmaids from group therapy?

The Handmaid that escaped with Luke and was  mute for a while?

I might be TOTALLY wrong but I thought maybe some of the people that Fred was being traded for?

magic_marker

The fact that Fred thought it was important that nothing could happen to him because he's a man and they shouldn't harm him because he is going to be a father to a son was rather fucked up. I really liked the way the writers had June giving Fred a "choice" of how things were going to roll. It was showing Fred that what he did to women in Gilead wasn't their choice but a manipulation to justify what they were getting away with for a time. 

I also thought that June was saying goodbye to Nichole, but the Canadians let them all cross the border. Were they in "no mans land" where justice happened?

Who put Fred on the wall and who sent the package? Had to be someone in Gilead? So many questions and that is why l'm looking forward to Season 5!

• Like 1

Chicken Pie

Yes I think as said above Luke will never understand the trauma she went through and over such a long period of time - it’s gonna affect you in ways others don’t understand. It changes a person and i an keen to see how they play out the next season

magic_marker
42 minutes ago, green mango said:

Maybe June was saying bye and apologising to Luke because she’s going back to Gilead to find Hannah? 

I hope so!

Advertisement