IGNORED

Winter - love it or hate it?

Darryl

Stuffed Olive
17 minutes ago, Fruitmincepies said:

@Darryl you should move to Perth, winter is quite nice here really. I love autumn the best, but mostly I love anything but summer. 

I grew up in the east of England, where I had a friend whose great aunt had emigrated to Perth many years earlier. In her early eighties, after her husband died, she packed up and returned to buy a house in England "for her final years".  

After just one winter back in England, she sold the house and went back to Perth!  She said if she had to spend one more winter in England, it would definitely be her final year 😂

Winter in Victoria is less of a challenge and I like the changing seasons. Last year was the first whole winter we had spent at home for about fifteen years and I enjoyed it. This year will probably be less of a novelty!

• Haha 2

MintyBiscuit

Love love love winter. The colder the better, rain is awesome, grey doesn’t bother me. It annoys me that since having babies I run much hotter than I used to, so living in Sydney there’s only a few weeks a year it gets cold enough for me to properly layer and rug up. I’m loving that it’s been a colder winter so far this year 

• Like 5

Absolutely hate it. 

I hate the cold but what I really hate most of all is the lack of sunlight. I go to work in the dark and come home in the dark. And on days when it is raining so the kids and I can't get outside, it is almost unbearable. 

I love Summer - I would always choose a 30 degree day over a 10 degree day!! I am longing for warm days at the beach! 

Edited by zeldazonk
  • Like 3

I love the trappings of winter - cute beanies, hot chocolate, hot pots and casseroles, hot whiskey, roaring fires, starry skies, cosy reading on the couch.

i hate the actual cold, so that's unfortunate.

I have happily left behind blizzards, black ice and the daftly short days of the northern hemisphere so the winters here are pretty good really. After the summers they're very welcome. Love to see them come, love to see them go!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Ernegirl said:

I love the trappings of winter - cute beanies, hot chocolate, hot pots and casseroles, hot whiskey, roaring fires, starry skies, cosy reading on the couch.

I have happily left behind blizzards, black ice and the daftly short days of the northern hemisphere so the winters here are pretty good really. After the summers they're very welcome. Love to see them come, love to see them go!

My friend who migrated here from the UK 15 years ago feels the same.  He came to Melbourne in the early parts of winter where the temps were not very different from where he came from, so he found it quite entertaining to find people complaining about the cold.  Of course he's adjusted now, so likes a hot summer and a mild winter.

• Like 1

Love it, warms coats hats and scarfs. One of my favourite holidays was to Canada winter festivals, beaver tails and snow fights. I did spend the majority of the time being fished out of the large piles of snow I kept falling into, was part of the amazing fun.

• Like 1

Kiwi Bicycle
44 minutes ago, Bornagirl said:

Hate it.  We managed a trip from Melbourne to Broome, right through to Katherine and up to Darwin during April. 

I have Raynaud's (not a serious condition but affects warmth in hands and feet, not circulation related), and one morning in Litchfield National park it was an unseasonal 16 degrees overnight.  Husband said 'isn't it nice to have a lovely cool morning', to which I responded 'nope' and showed him my purple and white hands.

I struggle with high thirties and high humidity (which we had a bit of) but I absolutely ADORE getting up in the morning and it's 22 degrees, or after dark and I'm still in a sleeveless top.

My friend has Raynauds. She has issues as she can easily get sores on her hands which do not heal and become infected. She cannot was dishes in a sink, she HAS to have a dishwasher. She has almost had to have fingers and toes amputated due to it. She goes into hospital for infusions.  However a few years after she was diagnosised she also found out she had low grade leukaemia which she has to manage as well.

• Crying 2

HATE IT. hate hate hate hate it!

I am Autistic with major sensory issues one of the many of them being the cold, and wet. I can't stand my clothes getting wet. I also have many sensory issues with clothing making rugging up very difficult for me. 

I also suffer Raynauds and for the months of winter my fingers and toes are riddled with chillblains which range from being hot and itchy to extremely painful. Winter 2018 had me almost losing a toe. 

I have my own infra-red sauna but due to my Autism I struggle to sit still so I don't use it as much as I should. 

• Like 1
  • Crying 3
  • Sad 3

12 minutes ago, Kiwi Bicycle said:

My friend has Raynauds. She has issues as she can easily get sores on her hands which do not heal and become infected. She cannot was dishes in a sink, she HAS to have a dishwasher. She has almost had to have fingers and toes amputated due to it. She goes into hospital for infusions.  However a few years after she was diagnosised she also found out she had low grade leukaemia which she has to manage as well.

Yep, sounds like secondary (which is FAR worse than primary). On the facebook group there are plenty who've had fingers and toes amputated. That's why I urge people to get it investigated. Find out what you're dealing with.

I have a very messy medical history, starting at 13 with a rare condition that took so long to diagnose that I could barely stand up by the time it was, spent six weeks in hospital putting on enough weight to be released. Roll on 20 years and I develop another condition, which takes 20 years to diagnose, in the meantime causing a cascade of other conditions (thought to be separate), and diagnosed and cured in my early 50s.    So now in my late 60s I'm probably healthier than I've been for many decades, but have a very long list of grumbling conditions as a side effect of having had the other two serious conditions for 40 years.    For me, having primary raynaud's is the least of my problems, but I always urge others to have it investigated because you never know what it's connected to.

• Sad 1

VeritasVinumArte

Ironically I haven’t had chillblaines on my fingers or toes since moving from Sydney to Melbourne over 20 years ago. I remember doing my Trial HSC with Chillblaine fingers and it was sooo painful.

Admittedly my house here in Melbourne is set up for the cold. I still get really cold visiting my folks in Sydney…. They have central heating but only turn it on about 5 days a year.

I love autumn, the leaves, crisp air, blue skies. I like winter, although this winter in Melb. has been a little dismal. I need some warmer shoes, when did I become someone who rated the warmth of their shoes? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silverstreak said:

I like a lot about it, except when I get sick. But I think Winter is very picturesque and I like snuggling under a blanket all cosy.

This.

50 minutes ago, Ernegirl said:

And this.

I hate everyone getting sick all winter. And I hate when I get cold to my bones and can't warm up (I also have Raynaud's). Other than that, I love winter and all its trappings! I'm even finding joy in grey skies these days. I used to be all about summer, but having kids cured me of that. Besides the stress of them being too hot as newborns, the combination of Melbourne summer heat + small children results in a very very grumpy, impatient, awful me.

• Like 2

magic_marker
1 hour ago, Ernegirl said:

This would usually be me, but since Covid l am not a fan. Give me warm weather at the moment. 

• Like 1

Also hate it.  I have secondary Raynauds and have to be extremely careful in winter.  Give me 30+ any day.  The other danger with Raynauds is that it is hard to get good readings off your hands - every time I’m in hospital they are shoving oxygen onto me as my SATs show as too low,  just because the circulation in my hands is awful.

• Like 1

I hate being cold, hate being rained on and hate having to wear shoes. The on,y good bits are big snuggly cardigans and being tucked in bed when it’s raining.

Edited by blackcat20
  • Like 1

overlytired
1 hour ago, BornToLove said:

I’m from Canada and love proper winter, but I hate Melbourne winters. They’re so cold, dark and depressing. 

Still here, and I loathe winter. The depths of winter where it's -30C (with windchill nearing -40C), ugh. Sidewalks aren't always plowed adequately so you're walking on an uneven, slippery surface... I managed to get a bad case of tendinitis in my foot this year, again.

Even the days where the weather isn't so extreme at -10C are unpleasant. I hate having to take the snow off my car, defrost the windshield, shovel the driveway. The short days add insult to injury.

• Like 1

Winter is a loathsome little cockroach that just won't go away!  I hate every single bit of the cold and feel lifeless without warmth and sunshine.  I also find it harder as I have SAD.

TheMagician

Absolutely 100% love it. It's my favourite season.

Short days

Rain

Cold

Wind

Electric blanket

Comfort food

The Beach

Soft lamps

Hot baths

Boots

Porridge

Bare trees

Coats

What's not to love!!

• Like 4

ImperatorFuriosa

I fucking hate it. Lol but I did live in the NT for a decade and moved back to Perth in Jan. So I haven't felt cold for a while. I can't stand it so far lol I hate wearing jumpers, long pants, sneakers. Make it stop! 😅🤣

Edited by ImperatorFuriosa
  • Like 1

IamtheMumma
14 hours ago, Bornagirl said:

By serious, I meant life threatening. After beyond severe blood pressure for 20 years, it's a walk in the park, except when I'm walking in the park. Before that I had a condition where without medication for a few hours I'd be at very serious risk of collapse.  It's all relative.

My hands are generally a mixture of purple and white in Melbourne, even when the ducted heating's on 21.  Hot flushes don;t help, they do torso and head without reaching the hands and feet, and then you're wet from the hot flush so freezing all over.

I now wear fingerless gloves at yoga and don't care how stupid I look. I recommend possum and wool mix from new zealand. Can give you the website if you like.

I hope you've been investigated for it. Those for whom it's from an aut0-immune response  (secondary) can have complications that those with primary (me) don't have. That's despite me already having two auto immune conditions.  I don't understand it , but please make sure you know which type it is.

Everything is relative. I haven't been investigated yet as its still very new and some times I think its all in my head. Only started around 3 months ago. It doesn't seem to be consistent as I've been fine for a couple of weeks now but had 6 weeks where I couldn't get my hands or feet warm. Then I got cold to the core and stood under straight hot water trying to warm my body up. It took about 20 mins for that to happen. My feet do feel cold today but my hands are fine. Based on the criteria for both types, I fit neither. Primary is more likely but I'm mid 40s so its too late for primary although I am definitely one to skew data. For secondary, I don't meet the criteria either. But yes, it needs to be investigated. 

ClaudiaCosette

I'm in Qld and appreciate the warm sunny winter days (I've spent a few winters in Europe and the endless grey, cloudy days and bone-chilling cold really wore me down). But winter air here is dry, and I get dried out. My lips and my hands get all cracked and sore, my throat always feels dry, and my poor nose starts bleeding. So I could do without that. Also, our house, which is built to be nice and cool in the hot summer, has zero heating ability and it's never much warmer inside than out. Plus, kids constantly have snotty noses. So, I don't love winter. Give me autumn or spring any day.

Advertisement