As a guest, you're only seeing half the picture - register now for access to all forums. ×
IGNORED

Sydney East Covid cases

LifesGood

Givingitanothergo
4 minutes ago, Seayork2002 said:

I think it will filter out like the other ones that have popped up

I agree and hope It goes the same path as the other cases that have popped up in nsw

i live in the eastern suburbs of Sydney and I’m not too worried. Could be denial

Edited by Givingitanothergo

MintyBiscuit

I’m not too worried at this stage, but also not locking too much in for the holidays 🤣 I happened to get on a train this afternoon just after 4pm and I was quite pleased to see the vast majority wearing masks even though it had only just become compulsory again. So if people do the right thing we might be ok 

• Like 1

Dadwasathome

It will be as it is. Testing has doubled and tracing is underway. It is a concern that there appears to have been fleeting transmission, but until and if larger numbers if new cases are identified there is little further that can be done apart from being careful.

I really hope we don’t. DH and I are supposed to go away for our 25th wedding anniversary next weekend and then to the blue mtns with the kids for a few days.

I feel like it will be managed the same as every other outbreak. If the case numbers get too high they’ll lock down but we are nowhere near the numbers for that. 

My kids go to school in the east, I’m not worried. The only thing that I’d be concerned about would be if we had a holiday arranged interstate as they are all quite trigger happy on the border closures. But we aren’t going away these holidays so I doubt it will have much of an impact. 

I hope it doesn’t impact. I’m due to go to Canberra next week for my sons birthday. Haven’t seen him since Mother’s Day 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, green mango said:

This bug has a habit of gaining momentum as we approach school holidays or events like Christmas, Australia Day and Mother’s Day.

Hoping it won’t impact on the school holidays too much. Masks, smaller gatherings, social distancing and the like are fine. 

This^^^^
We are planning the usual week up the coast, but with us still being in NSW, hopefully we will still be able to go.  If not, so be it.  Disappointing, but there is always next holidays. 

2 hours ago, Kreme said:

I feel like it will be managed the same as every other outbreak. If the case numbers get too high they’ll lock down but we are nowhere near the numbers for that. 

My kids go to school in the east, I’m not worried. The only thing that I’d be concerned about would be if we had a holiday arranged interstate as they are all quite trigger happy on the border closures. But we aren’t going away these holidays so I doubt it will have much of an impact. 

I agree re it will be managed the same way as NSW has managed their previous outbreaks.  Interesting how different they do things in NSW vs Vic - I mean Victoria would have locked down the whole state by now if they were in the same situation.  I guess NSW has more confidence in their ability to control the situation without needing to resort to a statewide lockdown? Even the responses on this thread by presumably NSWs residents are more confident, assured and measured than what we see in the Vic Covid threads. The people in there seem to be more nervous, to the point of panic,  with a constant urgency to lockdown.  I guess this reflects a lack of confidence in their state gov to manage the situation well, which is totally understandable considering. Time will tell as always.

Maybe Victorians are more worried and think that the sooner that they do lock down, the shorter the lockdown will be. Like you said, totally understandable with the length of some lockdowns that they have had.

I hope you’re right in regards to this outbreak, but please don’t curse us! 

18 minutes ago, BECZ said:

Maybe Victorians are more worried and think that the sooner that they do lock down, the shorter the lockdown will be. Like you said, totally understandable with the length of some lockdowns that they have had.

I hope you’re right in regards to this outbreak, but please don’t curse us! 

Correct - It seems that many Victorians are more worried and think that the sooner they lock down the shorter the lockdown will be. That logic is probably correct, however it may not be the only and / or best option on a number of levels (ie mental health of the people involved in the state lockdowns, the economic impact to the state etc). The problem may be that the quick but short state wide lockdown seems to be the preferred option of the Victorian government so their citizens get used to that and could end up believing it is the only way.  

This does seem to be changing - as in the general sentiment of Victorians towards this process - as was seen in the last ABC Q&A session.

As I said though, time will tell (not to mention who has the best technology to assist in their contact tracing capability) - it may be that NSW underestimate the situation, don't act correctly, and end up like Victoria in their 2nd outbreak for example.  Seems like they have a had a better system so far and still do at this stage (I mean seriously, Victorian government still haven't got their act together in regards to QR codes)

In regards to any cursing of states by me :) - it can't happen. As much as I would like to think I'm that powerful, it all comes down to the different states CHOs and Premiers and what they choose to do. It's all on them  .......  and science of course.

I am not sure and my jury is still out - the next few days will reveal more.  I was a big fan of the past handling of the virus by NSW but this is the Delta, which is a different kettle of fish.

In the UK the Delta is increasing exponentially among unvaccinated and young people even under high restrictions.  We are still 75% unvaccinated in this country which is a concern.

Edited by Iamferalz
  • Like 1

I don't think it is correct to say Victoria would already be in lockdown by now.  The latest Victorian lockdown was triggered when the cluster had grown past 30, the close contacts were more than 10,000 and the exposure sites were in their hundreds all over Melbourne and some in regional Vic.

As this one seems to have been caught at the index case (i.e. direct link to the border), I think the situation itself is far more confidence inspiring.

• Like 14

Not saying Vic doesn't lockdown harder and faster - of course they do. Just saying I don't think Vic would be seriously considering it yet either. But as has been mentioned, many Victorians would be starting to worry!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, xaos said:

I agree re it will be managed the same way as NSW has managed their previous outbreaks.  Interesting how different they do things in NSW vs Vic - I mean Victoria would have locked down the whole state by now if they were in the same situation.  I guess NSW has more confidence in their ability to control the situation without needing to resort to a statewide lockdown? Even the responses on this thread by presumably NSWs residents are more confident, assured and measured than what we see in the Vic Covid threads. The people in there seem to be more nervous, to the point of panic,  with a constant urgency to lockdown.  I guess this reflects a lack of confidence in their state gov to manage the situation well, which is totally understandable considering. Time will tell as always.

Can't help yourself can you? 😒 

FYI.. This is a completely different variety of COVID. I would hope it will not be managed the same way as previous outbreaks and I am sure it won't be. I trust they will do the right thing.

Edited by STBG 2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mose said:

Not saying Vic doesn't lockdown harder and faster - of course they do. Just saying I don't think Vic would be seriously considering it yet either. But as has been mentioned, many Victorians would be starting to worry!!

Agree. Of course we would not be locking down yet but facts never get in the way of a good anti Dan, anti Vic sledge from Xaos.

• Like 9
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, STBG 2 said:

Agree. Of course we would not be locking down yet but facts never get in the way of a good anti Dan, anti Vic sledge from Xaos.

Oh....I don't follow these threads enough to realise there was history.

I just thought I should call out the actual situation that led to our lockdown, because as someone who travels regularly between the two, and has a team split fairly evenly across the states, my observation is that the media in each state report the "facts" on the other with a very different spin...even though prima facie they are from the same media outlets.

We can put it down to the politicians themselves, and of course the approaches are undeniably different, but the media has a big responsibility for stirring up this sentiment, and I don't see how it will help anyone in the long run.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Iamferalz said:

I am not sure and my jury is still out - the next few days will reveal more.  I was a big fan of the past handling of the virus by NSW but this is the Delta, which is a different kettle of fish.

In the UK the Delta is increasing exponentially among unvaccinated and young people even under high restrictions.  We are still 75% unvaccinated in this country which is a concern.

Yes, their rates are staggering, going from around 1,000 infections a day only six weeks or so ago, and have sailed up to over 10k per day.   That said, their hospitalisation rates of those fully or partly vaccinated are dramatically lower than those unvaccinated.  The loss of life there can still generally be counted on the hands, but of course there's always a lag with those seriously ill.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mose said:

I don't think it is correct to say Victoria would already be in lockdown by now.  The latest Victorian lockdown was triggered when the cluster had grown past 30, the close contacts were more than 10,000 and the exposure sites were in their hundreds all over Melbourne and some in regional Vic.

As this one seems to have been caught at the index case (i.e. direct link to the border), I think the situation itself is far more confidence inspiring.

Absolutely right. Victoria didn't lock down at Christmas time when cases filtered down from Sydney.  Sydney did lock down parts, and if I'm to distort the information as well as someone else, I might say 'Sydney locked down, while Melbourne didn't, for the same outbreak'.  Which of course would be ridiculous, and ignore the facts, just as their comment does.

Anyways, fx for  Sydney and NSW.

• Like 9

Julie3Girls

As far as statewide lockdowns, I think there are some big differences between Vic and NSW. Physical size for one.  NSW has a lot more population outside of Sydney as well. They did statewide restrictions during the very first lockdown, but since then have much more likely to just put restrictions on the Sydney area. Which makes much more sense given the size of the state. 

• Like 1

Lucrezia Borgia

i hope we don’t go into lockdown. i don’t think we will, but time will tell. we can’t keep going  into lockdown every time there are cases of community transmission. they just need to rollout the vaccinations so people won’t get so sick if they catch covid, but covid will be in the community - my understanding is being vaccinated doesn’t stop the spread, it just stops people requiring hospitalisation - easing the burden on the health care system. so covid is here to stay - and as borders open and restrictions ease, case numbers will rise. we will have to train ourselves to be only concerned about a case in intensive care, rather than a couple of asymptomatic people wandering around a shopping centre.  

• Like 4

Advertisement