As a guest, you're only seeing half the picture - register now for access to all forums. ×
IGNORED

Tokyo 2021 Olympics

Darryl

It's pretty clear the dopers are one step ahead of the testers. It's disappointing seeing some of the times and performances. The winner of the men's 100m Lamont Jacobs has come from nowhere. A few years ago he was running 10.4, a time that wouldn't even get him into a high school state final and he was ranked 580th in the world. He wasn't even a sprinter, he was a long jumper. And now he's Olympic champion. The favourite for the women's 1600/5000/10'000, Sifan Hassan has had 2 of her coaches busted for doping. Phenomenal time for the winner of the women's 100m etc etc

Justin Gatlin almost made the US team, running quicker at close to 40 years of age, racing "clean" than when he was doping in his early 20s. He's passed every drug test thrown at him after serving a 4 year ban. 

It may sound cynical, but at what point do you start asking questions. This is what happened with Lance Armstrong, he passed all of his drug tests, but people started asking questions because of his unbelievable performances. And a lot of people were shaking their heads after this years Tour de France, some of the stages had performances by individuals that were really incredible. 

Edited by Dadto2

LemonMyrtle
2 minutes ago, Bad Cat said:

I don't really think about it.  I usually assume they're all doping. Saves me having to worry about it.

Yup, I assume the same. Even Australians. Everyone is constantly pushing the envelope with the latest supplements, vitamins, energy drinks, god knows, all sorts of stuff that won’t show up in a test. Doesn’t mean it’s all above board and should be allowed. 

just have to kind of ignore it and leave it to the powers that be to seek it out. 

• Like 2

I generally assume the best of people so haven't even thought about it. 

I can hardly judge what a person is capable of while my butt is planted on the couch. 

• Like 3

Oh such a shame this has turned into a negative thread

We are loving the Olympics here and we’re cheering very loud for the athletics this morning

But these late nights are killing me - might need a few days off work to recover 

• Like 2

That said there is an exciting 200m runner from the US, Erriyon Knoighton, only 17 and still in high school! Will be good to see how he goes.

34 minutes ago, Meepy said:

Just wondering if drug testing rates went down since COVID?  That may have had an impact this year.

Good point. WADA wouldn't have been able to travel so freely with spot checks etc I think previously they could just turn up unannounced on someone's doorstep.

• Like 1

In the last few years there has been huge changes to the athletes footwear - similar to when the super suits were used in the pool.  Will be interesting if these are outlawed soon or not

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kshy said:

In the last few years there has been huge changes to the athletes footwear - similar to when the super suits were used in the pool.  Will be interesting if these are outlawed soon or not

There was a call to ban the carbon plate shoes a while back and it gained a bit of traction, but that's passed now and most (all) elite runners are in them, at least for the longer distances. 

• Like 1

Kiwi Bicycle

Oh my, the speed climbing is such a great sport. Not sure why it hasn't been oart if the Olympics befire. I can see this could of been an " orginal Olympic sport. It's kind of like climbing a pole at speed.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, JRA said:

Yep, I always find it surprising a woman hasn't won the individual before when you think of so many amazing female 3DE riders.   But Lucinda never did it, so many have been so close

@JRA Wendy Schaeffer would have won in Atlanta if the Barcelona format was followed.  Interesting how scoring has come down with the improvement of dressage over the years.  Best dressage at Atlanta was 35.20 and only one other score in the 30s.

Shame Andrew didn't get a bit more recognition today.  62 years old.  Only rider to finish on his dressage score.  Amazing.

• Like 1

Over and out
18 minutes ago, indi said:

@JRA Wendy Schaeffer would have won in Atlanta if the Barcelona format was followed.  Interesting how scoring has come down with the improvement of dressage over the years.  Best dressage at Atlanta was 35.20 and only one other score in the 30s.

Shame Andrew didn't get a bit more recognition today.  62 years old.  Only rider to finish on his dressage score.  Amazing.

And he said Vasilly has only ever had two rails down. Which is amazing.

Now trying to watch the showjumping and hockey at the same time.  This is a challenging night. At least the hockey a little less emotional as it is the men.  But show-jumping tonight is high on emotion

• Like 1

LemonMyrtle

Hockey is just a non stop sport, isn’t it? Even quarter time break seemed super quick. No breaks in gameplay either. 

this game is so nerve wracking. I don’t think I can watch this last quarter. 

• Like 1

LemonMyrtle

So, what’s going on with socks this year? Athletes don’t seem to have socks anymore?? 
And why do they sometimes take their shoes off straight away when they’re done?

• Like 1

Over and out

OMG that was so good. Yep @LemonMyrtle it is non stop. The rules around interchange mean anyone can be substituted at any time, so people work bloody hard for a bit, then rotated, and that goes on all game.

They got rid of offside which meant it was quicker and a couple of other things.  Even at top club level in Aus a mens top level game is just amazing to watch, just so so fast.  I watched the two top clubs in Vic on Sunday and lets say, it was breathtaking, although not the perfect result - a draw.

• Like 2

Sancti-claws
7 hours ago, Dadto2 said:

There was a call to ban the carbon plate shoes a while back and it gained a bit of traction, but that's passed now and most (all) elite runners are in them, at least for the longer distances. 

I see what you did there :D

• Like 1

Spidey_Senses

Heard an amazing interview with Logan Martin who won gold BMX freestyle.  He has broken about half the bones in his body but said he 'got off lightly compared to some of my mates 😲'   He built his own track in his back yard in lockdown so he could practise and he is keen to contend in the next games as well.  Great to see such dedication and such a humble guy with a great attitude. 

• Like 4

Yes, I can only imagine how many falls you have to have to get BMX Freestyle to a level where you can compete internationally.  I was actually having a laugh at the difference between the male soccer players clutching in "agony" at their ankles if anyone runs past them a bit close and any of the BMX Freestylers (or the skateboarders) who crash down on the concrete, dust themselves off and keep riding.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Over and out
19 minutes ago, Bad Cat said:

Yes, I can only imagine how many falls you have to have to get BMX Freestyle to a level where you can compete internationally.  I was actually having a laugh at the difference between the male soccer players clutching in "agony" at their ankles if anyone runs past them a bit close and any of the BMX Freestylers (or the skateboarders) who crash down on the concrete, dust themselves off and keep riding.

Yep, I cannot watch male soccer now, it is just ridiculous for that reason.

Advertisement