IGNORED

COVID vaccine thread #2

Darryl

17 minutes ago, Basil said:

It varied depending on each state.  It was always allowed in Qld.  NSW and Vic came up with a waiver to sign.  That’s at the state government managed centres.

The change has come with the Feds being willing to indemnify the GP’s who were unwilling to provide medication against ATAGI guidelines.  

Actually even with the waiver, you still had to be eligible, and until last night DSP wasn't. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ballogo said:

Just called our clinic - DD18 booked for a GP consult.  Then she can book for an AZ.  She's booked for a GP consult today at 1:30pm so we hope the Friday AZ appointments will still be available because after that there are no appointments at our clinic until August.

For those who are curious: Dr gave her all the data, asked about health history and family history. Gave DD18 the choice - she's booked in on 12th July for first AZ.

• Like 10

Chillipeppers

Just putting it out there for anyone this might effect, if you have life insurance and you are under the recommendation age for AZ, please do not take it as if something happens to you, the insurance companies will not honor your policy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chillipeppers said:

Just putting it out there for anyone this might effect, if you have life insurance and you are under the recommendation age for AZ, please do not take it as if something happens to you, the insurance companies will not honor your policy.

where did you hear that?

Chillipeppers
1 minute ago, Lurker said:

where did you hear that?

My dh used to work for an insurance company and he said they try find loop holes anywhere to avoid pay out. 

since it’s a government recommendation, that’s enough to push back.

Well there you go. If you want vaccination and don't care which, its all systems go. Certainly nobody under 60 who gets side effects has a leg to stand on now - it's side effects (or not) by informed choice. 

6 hours ago, Lurker said:

Many "young" people (20's and 30's) have seen their friends and relatives get AZ and not die, and I think real life examples are more compelling than scary news. 

I don't want to have a go at anyone here, but when people say they're fine to wait, are they thinking about what happens if there become different rules for vaxed and unvaxed? For me, if we're all living in the same conditions/restrictions, I'm not too bothered, but if it became a thing of vaxed people can (for instance) travel, go to the pub, go for particular jobs, and you can't, would you be ok to keep waiting based on your original criteria - that your risk is low?

I'm musing only - I don't know anything you don't, and I don't necessarily think this is what *should* happen. It's just that when you hear the argument that we have to "learn to live with Covid" and people say when will we open borders again, the answer tends to be, when everyone has had the opportunity to be vaccinated. The opportunity. 

I'm not going to travel for a year or two or go to crowded location even after vax, so it wouldn't bother me at all. If I do travel, I will be masking and social distancing. In hospitals, some fully vaccinated medical staff are getting break through infections from being around COVID constantly, so I wouldn't go to any country or do anything that involved crowding in with possibly infected people for some time.  The job thing? Maybe. But I would not get AZ now, no matter what. It's like, the huge majority of people don't die on roller coasters but a hell of a lot of people don't want to ride them anyway.  

Edited by pelagic

39 minutes ago, Chillipeppers said:

My dh used to work for an insurance company and he said they try find loop holes anywhere to avoid pay out. 

So no announcement has been made? Just something that occurred to your DH?

No shade to him, just wondered if the gov had actually said anything. 

Chillipeppers
39 minutes ago, Lurker said:

So no announcement has been made? Just something that occurred to your DH?

No shade to him, just wondered if the gov had actually said anything. 

No no announcement, I just thought I’d share given many people have life insurance and it’s something to take into consideration. Insurance companies are dodgy and will do anything to avoid paying.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chillipeppers said:

No no announcement, I just thought I’d share given many people have life insurance and it’s something to take into consideration. Insurance companies are dodgy and will do anything to avoid paying.

Despite it being an anecdotal example, it's certainly true that they will try to avoid it. The commonwealth bank comes to mind, even ignoring their own medical experts!

It would be worthwhile for anyone with insurance that really matters to them (vulnerable dependents etc) to get it in writing from their insurance company, that their insurance will not be invalidated by the AZ, if under 60.

I advised my daughter to cancel her super insurance, after reading that they will rarely pay out for casual workers, even those who have worked regular hours forever, because 'that can change overnight, and their hours are not guaranteed'.  All it was doing was depleting her super.

• Like 3

Wowee, husband had his second AZ at 1:30pm today, his vaccine certificate came through at 4:30pm.

That's pretty impressive.  I wonder if it was because it was at a GP and their records (GPs) are updated automatically???

• Like 2

Wonderstruck

Had my first pfizer under carer for NDIS participant. DD doesnt have a disability but gets NDIS funding.

I felt a bit odd about it but it's an eligibility category and now I'm one more person vaccinated. Second dose in 3 weeks time. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Bad Cat said:

Had my first Pfizer about 2 hours ago.  Booked for another 21 days from now.

I had mine at ~2pm today and am booked for my second dose on 25 Jul.  Where I went was run like a well oiled machine.  They were so organised!

• Like 2

Wonderstruck
24 minutes ago, babygirl03 said:

I had mine at ~2pm today and am booked for my second dose on 25 Jul.  Where I went was run like a well oiled machine.  They were so organised!

Same here. Sydney Olympic Park was very efficient. If only supply was good!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, babygirl03 said:

Efficient here too.  First day of operation for this particular hub and was pretty slick.  Got my next one booked for 20/7.

• Like 2

Sancti-claws
5 hours ago, Chillipeppers said:

5 hours ago, Chillipeppers said:

I wonder if they will use the same logic if someone goes down with Covid and they can push back "but you had the opportunity for vaccination"

• Like 2
  • Worried 1

So... let me get this straight... 18+ can get AZ and 40+ can get Pfizer, but if I am younger than 40 I don't have a "choice" of vaccine, until whenever time Pfizer or Novovax is onshore... 

45 minutes ago, Serapod said:

So... let me get this straight... 18+ can get AZ and 40+ can get Pfizer, but if I am younger than 40 I don't have a "choice" of vaccine, until whenever time Pfizer or Novovax is onshore... 

Yes, because vaccine rollout in Australia, for all of its vaults, has been based on getting the most vulnerable vaccinate first.

My husband couldn't get vaccinated when our niece did (because she was 1A); I couldn't get vaccinated when my husband did (because he was over 70 ad I wasn't); our daughter can't get vaccinated yet without a GP approval  etc etc.

Most 40+ can't get Pfizer in most places in Australia at the moment.  It's not as though they can walk in to a place tomorrow and get it.  If they want to be vaccinated, it's AZ for them, too, with a GP appointment first, for the majority, just like the rest of us.

I don't have a choice of vaccine either, even though there is still a risk with AZ.  Smaller, but still a risk.

• Like 1

Chillipeppers
1 hour ago, Sancti-claws said:

I wonder if they will use the same logic if someone goes down with Covid and they can push back "but you had the opportunity for vaccination"

It wouldn’t shock me at all to be honest.

6 hours ago, Chillipeppers said:

What about people who had AZ before the recommendations came out? Surely they could not be penalised.

Chillipeppers
3 minutes ago, STBG 2 said:

What about people who had AZ before the recommendations came out? Surely they could not be penalised.

I would contact the insurance company and ask questions regarding covid and vaccinations and if there are any reasons why their insurance would be denied, then ‘get it in writing’ when they tell you it’s ok.

• Like 1

Chillipeppers
37 minutes ago, STBG 2 said:

My husband just confirmed that as long as the advise from AMA was valid at the time of taking the vaccine you should be covered. Those who go against advise from AMA are those that won’t be covered.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chillipeppers said:

My husband just confirmed that as long as the advise from AMA was valid at the time of taking the vaccine you should be covered. Those who go against advise from AMA are those that won’t be covered.

Are you sure AMA? And not TGA or ATAGI? 

AMA are an advocacy group/professional body for doctors. 

• Like 3

Advertisement