IGNORED

NSW Home schooling / learning from home

Gracie1978

We will get there! Eventually..... So far we're going fine, one thing I deeply love about DDs public high school is that they have been updating people over the last few days so we know what expectations are - a good thing in our case as DD does get anxiety. At least we've got internet this year, which is a massive bonus over last year when we went 4 months and the entire lockdown period with no wifi, so DHs office bought a dongle for him, I used the sim on my laptop and DD hotspotted off my phone....

43 minutes ago, Antifa said:

We will get there! Eventually..... So far we're going fine, one thing I deeply love about DDs public high school is that they have been updating people over the last few days so we know what expectations are - a good thing in our case as DD does get anxiety. At least we've got internet this year, which is a massive bonus over last year when we went 4 months and the entire lockdown period with no wifi, so DHs office bought a dongle for him, I used the sim on my laptop and DD hotspotted off my phone....

Geez, that would have been hard!

Luckily, we finally got a new modem.  Optus said about 18 months ago that they would be sending us a new modem as our old one wouldn’t be compatible with the new upgrades they were going to make.  When DP contacted them to confirm postage details, they said that our old modem would be fine.  Well, it wasn’t and we have contacted them a number of times since and they tried all this crap each time, but it still continued to drop out numerous times a day and some rooms in our house (primarily the kid’s bedrooms) no longer had service.

We contacted them about a month ago with an unrelated problem and when they asked if there was anything else that they could help us with, DP mentioned it and they immediately organised for a new one to be sent out, no questions asked.

Well, we haven’t had a dropout since and no lagging on the kid’s games like before and service is available in all rooms again, so at least the kids can find their own space to do their work if required.  For now I will keep them out in the lounge room when possible though.

Edited by BECZ
Typo
  • Like 2

Okay, so we’ve made a start… there is so much work for my DS1 (with suspected dyslexia & dysgraphia) to do & he’s already totally overwhelmed :(

He really needs someone sitting with him & helping/reading with him all day, but 7 month old, teething DS3 says nope!

• Sad 3

@BECZ ours was as a result of a tree falling on the phone lines during a storm and Hellstra deciding they CBF fixing it because we were due to get the NBN. 

Which we did, 4 months after the storm and a week after Hellstra belatedly decided to fix the wires. There are not enough eye roll emoticons in this world, seriously. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Antifa said:

@BECZ ours was as a result of a tree falling on the phone lines during a storm and Hellstra deciding they CBF fixing it because we were due to get the NBN. 

Which we did, 4 months after the storm and a week after Hellstra belatedly decided to fix the wires. There are not enough eye roll emoticons in this world, seriously. 

That’s crap!
just not practical in this day and age!

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

MintyBiscuit

I’ve just called the end of our school day, seems we’ve been lucky with our school as they’ve definitely gone lighter with the work this week. Awesomely I’ve already had a call from DS’ teacher to make sure we check google classroom (we’ve opted for paper packs) as she’s put an optional extension project up for those who are keen. His eyes lit up when I told him. Already such a different experience to last year where his teacher was basically impossible to contact and had zero interest in any extension. 

Hope everyone else’s return to remote has gone ok. I’m so glad our school has made it clear we’re to prioritise well-being, I hope everyone else’s is the same 

• Like 3

How did everyone's day go? High school is so much better than primary home school, OMG! She just sat in her room and logged into her classroom for each period as per normal timetable and just got it done. No face to face meeting for her yet but it seemed ok.

The primary kids needed a bit more guidance but again it wasn't too bad, was a whole lot better than last year when we were basically on our own. The teachers did a Teams meeting with them in the morning and then they seemed to be responding all day when the kids submitted work, so that made it feel a lot more interactive than last year and not just like we were shoved aside and forgotten about. 

Helps that my work day wasn't too hectic today, so I had a bit of time where I could sit and work through a few tech issues. I think tomorrow should be ok (fingers crossed).

• Like 6

Not too bad in the end, although I’m only taking the eldest twos word for it.

DD2 started crying once for a single maths question that she couldn’t figure out!!!  It was one of those, complete this number pattern ones.  Why the hell cry about it!  Just ask for help!  Hopefully it’s just the stress of first day!

DS2 seemed to have a lot less work than he did last year, but maybe they’re keeping it light for first week.  He was finished before 12:30pm, DD1 before 11am and DD2 finished hers by 1:30.  DS1 didn’t have most of his work available so he finished and submitted all of his English for the week and did a bit of languages.  The teachers seemed to be submitting tasks for the week and he only had to check in at the start of the day and for one subject, rather than checking in for each subject inline with his timetable. 

So far, so good!

• Like 1

A big cheer - day 1 is done!  

I'm not sure if my son schooled from home or snoozed from home.

We got the timetable and 45 minutes was allocated to signing the attendance role (virtually and in English so I'm not sure why there was such an early start time). 

There was a mathematics task and an English task which were allocated at specific points in the day.  Most of the day was spent emailing friends back and forth.  

It's a shame that all the tasks aren't available at once so you can get schooling done quickly.

• Like 2

Our day seemed to go fine. Of course they may both have been gaming in their rooms all day - it was very quiet. They both said it went well, no technology hiccups. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Couldn't even get into the app.

Picked up a paper pack, but we did maybe 30 min of reading eggs and that was it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Antifa said:

We will get there! Eventually..... So far we're going fine, one thing I deeply love about DDs public high school is that they have been updating people over the last few days so we know what expectations are

The thing I love most about our public high school is that they understand that a lot of people can’t afford a dedicated device and internet connection per student, so they don’t attempt F2F lessons and just set work for the day/week and the kids can determine their own schedules to complete the work. Because of this, we actually prefer ‘learning from home’ than at school in our household. 

• Like 4

Good morning & good luck today everyone! 

DS3 actually slept quite well last night so I’m feeling brighter this morning & like maybe today will be better than yesterday.

I’ve got the kids set up on their laptops, given them a checklist to work through, fed the baby, now going to have myself another coffee :)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MintyBiscuit said:

All the phonemes? 

Synonyms. And having to use them in a sentence that starts with As. She’s annoyed her creativity is being stifled. 

• Like 1

MintyBiscuit
1 minute ago, riotproof said:

Synonyms. And having to use them in a sentence that starts with As. She’s annoyed her creativity is being stifled. 

Ugh. I sympathise. My year 1 is doing subtraction but then has to show working on a number line. She’s frustrated as it’s slowing her down 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, riotproof said:

Second pot of tea here. Year 1 English is the pits. 

Oohh i feel for you. I had a year 2 kid last year and it was hard work. Its a lot easier this year, not so much input from me needed.

• Like 2

Fortunately it’s an easy day otherwise. She’ll be happy to do the maths. And then it’s watching a story and colouring in a Naidoc sheet. 

• Like 1

DD just got out of bed at 10.15. 
She’s very relaxed - everything is under control. 
I believe her.

DS, on the other hand, has been up since six and almost finished the set work for the day.

Love how our learning from home system accommodates the lark and the owl. 

Edited by Sincerely
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

Hopefully the extension of 2 weeks for school at home will be all that you need to undertake. I hope knowing will help you plan and pace yourselves too. 

MintyBiscuit
13 minutes ago, kalanchoe said:

I was blissfully unaware of what phonemes & graphemes were until my kids started school 🤪

Lol same. Obviously I knew them because I know English, but trying to backwards engineer my understanding of English to fit the terminology they use now Confused Thinking GIF

• Haha 4

Advertisement