IGNORED

COVID General Discussion thread #5

Darryl

15 minutes ago, Stuffed Olive said:

Yes, comparing covid with influenza at this point in time is nonsense.  Hunt is a deceitful plonker.  Almost everyone can receive a flu vax.

The fact that we as a society, may have tacitly agreed that a certain number of flu deaths each year is acceptable, does not mean that we will not make a different judgement on a novel disease, when we currently have the chance to assess the risk and make a choice.

Wish I could like this more than once. Wish I could remember that paragraph when I hear people compare it to flu!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blueshoe said:

I just saw that. 
That’s until the end of week 8 of this school term, for all the home-learning peeps playing along…

Quoting myself… I have such mixed feelings about this. To be honest, I much prefer doing my job from home. I get to do the bits of my job I enjoy and none of the bits I hate. I love not having to get early and do an hour’s commute each way. But I’m sad that my kindy kid might miss almost an entire term of kindy. He absolutely adores his teacher and his class. Thankfully he is also happy learning from home (total homebody - doesn’t even want to go for a walk around the block) but I’m still feeling a bit sad and sentimental about him missing kindy. You only get to be a kindy kid once!

(disclaimer: I know for other people this extended lockdown might be financially ruinous or otherwise devastating and I don’t mean to minimise that. I know I’m in a privileged position. I guess I’m just processing what might be ahead.)

• Like 9

Blueskies12
18 minutes ago, blueshoe said:

Quoting myself… I have such mixed feelings about this. To be honest, I much prefer doing my job from home. I get to do the bits of my job I enjoy and none of the bits I hate. I love not having to get early and do an hour’s commute each way. But I’m sad that my kindy kid might miss almost an entire term of kindy. He absolutely adores his teacher and his class. Thankfully he is also happy learning from home (total homebody - doesn’t even want to go for a walk around the block) but I’m still feeling a bit sad and sentimental about him missing kindy. You only get to be a kindy kid once!

(disclaimer: I know for other people this extended lockdown might be financially ruinous or otherwise devastating and I don’t mean to minimise that. I know I’m in a privileged position. I guess I’m just processing what might be ahead.)

Blueshoe, you aren't minimising anything. It is good that you are speaking up and sharing how this is effecting you and your family. We need to keep doing that. My friend did the same to me today. I called her (she's in Melbourne) and she burst into tears....and then followed it up, but at least we have our health. We need to share our pain, whatever that is. it's the only way we will get through.

I'm a QLDer and have the news about the case that travelled from Melb-Sunshine Coast and then Bris to Cairns. Does anyone know that if you are fully vaccinated that you don't spread it as easily?

I commend SA for locking down the state and acting so quickly. I wish Qld would do the same.

• Like 6

MintyBiscuit
23 minutes ago, blueshoe said:

DD was in kindy last year and missed out on a bunch of that kindy stuff because of remote learning. It is sad, and having an easier time than others doesn’t mean lockdown doesn’t suck. 

• Like 9

My daughter is still miffed that her kindy class didn’t get their excursion to the zoo.  She’s even more pissed that that this years kindy got theirs. 

it is hard. Anyone who says otherwise has no heart. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Stuffed Olive said:

Yes, comparing covid with influenza at this point in time is nonsense.  Hunt is a deceitful plonker.  Almost everyone can receive a flu vax.

The fact that we as a society, may have tacitly agreed that a certain number of flu deaths each year is acceptable, does not mean that we will not make a different judgement on a novel disease, when we currently have the chance to assess the risk and make a choice.

Much as I hate to say it, even if we get to 100% vaccinated at some point, there will still be deaths from coronavirus because vaccines significantly reduce the risk of hospitalisation and death but they don't remove it entirely. The only way to have zero covid deaths once we "open up", whichever way it takes and whenever it happens, is to have zero coronavirus circling in the community.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, blueshoe said:

Everyone's response is valid.

Kinder is an important year for a kid.

Maybe in future years it won't matter - and they'll talk about their early years in a way we could never have imagined, and it will be only about 'differences' rather than 'deficiencies'.

I was upset when my daughter missed the trip to the zoo with kinder due to chicken pox, mainly because I was working and that was a rare chance for her to go there.  She honestly has no recollection of it.*

I think what's important is recognising what's happening in your own little world, mourning what's lost, THEN recognising that all of us here have privilege that most in the world can only dream about.

It would be a rare Australian who hasn't suffered through Covid.

* ETA Having read Riotproof's comment, I should clarify that she sure as heck did at the time. The sky might as well have fallen in.

Edited by Bornagirl
  • Like 6

What strikes me as odd about comparing it to flu to minimise its seriousness is that flu kills kids. Kids and babies. Has everybody just forgotten that? Before Covid there was real urgency each year about getting your flu shot, like sure there were no lockdowns or border closures, but it wasn't no big deal. I can think of a couple of kids I know who died from flu, and I don't even know a lot of kids, compared to most people. 

• Like 7

LemonMyrtle
13 hours ago, Stuffed Olive said:

I think maybe what he is trying to say (badly, and with bias) is that eventually we will open up and hopefully deaths will be at flu-levels, because we will all be vaccinated.

what he is leaving out is the fact that covid would have killed thousands if we had not locked down, cases would have been in the millions. Thousands more would have died due to hospitals being full with covid patients. Its very much more deadly than the flu is.
And at current vaccination levels this can still happen. Even at high vaccination levels it may still happen because getting to 80-90% is going to take a long time. We might get to 50-60% quickly, with the extra stock, but the final stretch always takes the longest as they chase people with poor access, poor language, etc etc. 

but the flu and covid should never ever be compared by a politician in charge of health because it simple becomes more fodder for the anti vax crowd. And he knows this, and is probably just pushing his “let’s open up” agenda. 

• Like 6

Over and out
2 minutes ago, Mrs Zee said:

83,000 + tests. 110 cases but unfortunately only 37 in isolation. 

https://www.facebook.com/225158094350206/posts/1640308599501808/

Jesus, that is not good news at all. The number infectious in the community is huge

And this is even worse

There are currently 106 COVID-19 cases admitted to hospital, with 23 people in intensive care, 11 of whom require ventilation.

Edited by JRA
  • Like 3
  • Worried 2
  • Crying 2

3 minutes ago, JRA said:

Jesus, that is not good news at all. The number infectious in the community is huge

And this is even worse

There are currently 106 COVID-19 cases admitted to hospital, with 23 people in intensive care, 11 of whom require ventilation.

I know. Sigh. What a shit position for nsw to be in. 

• Like 1

Over and out
4 minutes ago, Mrs Zee said:

I know. Sigh. What a shit position for nsw to be in. 

Yep

It is a shit position for Aus.  Sadly this is affecting everyone, and will continue to affect everyone. 

We as a country need to get this under control

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, JRA said:

Yep

It is a shit position for Aus.  Sadly this is affecting everyone, and will continue to affect everyone. 

We as a country need to get this under control

Yes you are absolutely correct. The longer it's not contained, the longer the risk to everyone else. 

Gladys kept saying 5-7 days before we'd see some change from the latest restrictions. I had hoped we'd start to see that from today. She's now saying we won't see that until at least the weekend, but probably not until early next week. 

One thing that's interesting with the hospital stats is we're talking about 10% of people requiring hospitalisation. I wish that would sink in for the deniers and people saying it's just a flu etc. 

Eta I feel like those people are just increasing at the moment

Edited by Mooguru
  • Like 13

LemonMyrtle
4 minutes ago, Mooguru said:

One thing that's interesting with the hospital stats is we're talking about 10% of people requiring hospitalisation. I wish that would sink in for the deniers and people saying it's just a flu etc. 

Exactly. But then their argument is “well I bet they were vaccinated and it didn’t even work”. Or “the figures are false, they’re lying to us” or “ they all had pre existing conditions”

there is no arguing with those people. And it makes me so mad and sad that they can’t understand basic facts that are in the news every day. What is our school system churning out???

• Like 2

Over and out
6 minutes ago, Mooguru said:

Yep. That stat is huge.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Blueskies said:

I'm a QLDer and have the news about the case that travelled from Melb-Sunshine Coast and then Bris to Cairns. Does anyone know that if you are fully vaccinated that you don't spread it as easily?

I commend SA for locking down the state and acting so quickly. I wish Qld would do the same.

I’ve seen stats somewhere that showed 85% of fully vaccinated people DON’T transmit covid.

I’m confident that Qld will lock down if and when required.  If the CHO feels that the information is showing that there is minimal risk, I’m much happier maintaining some levels of restrictions (masks, capacity limits etc) than to jump straight to lockdown.  It is a very blunt tool, and useful but not if we can avoid it.  

We haven’t seen any local transmissions linked that that case yet so fingers crossed we’re good.  Also, I think our climate and lack of population density is in our favour too.  SA has had local transmissions which is why their lockdown is understandable but we’re currently in a different situation.

8 minutes ago, Mooguru said:

I’m unfortunate to know a number of right wing libertarians.  They know the hospitalisation rate.  They just don’t care because they feel that those people are a burden on society anyway.  That’s why they would prefer to let nature takes its course/let it rip/whatever euphemism or double speak they want to use, because it gets the pain over and done through quickly.  They know they and their loved ones will be ok because they can afford protective measures to insulate themselves from the dirty ordinary folk.

As more people have had their vaccinations, more people are less tolerant of restrictions.  It’s educated and privileged who tend to be able to access vaccinations easily.  The vulnerable have more challenges in their way and it’s easy to ignore or dismiss them.

• Worried 1
  • Angry 6

Just now, Mooguru said:

I'm angry at those people not at your post @Basil . It just felt wrong liking it

Yeah, I get it.  It makes me sad that these are some of our ‘leaders’ and ‘movers and shakers’.  I despair about the future our children and grandchildren will have.

• Like 1

I find myself feeling very conflicted, watching the SA presser. I’m a strong Greens/Labor voter,  but finding myself absolutely in love with Steven Marshall- lol! 

• Haha 6

I haven’t watched anything today.  The kids saw the craft segment on today this morning and we have been building  (arguing, self confidence building, learning how to safely use a box cutter) the icecream truck all morning.  I’ve now convinced them to finish it tomorrow.  They’ve declared it the best school day ever and I need a drink.

link https://www.kitiyapalaskas.com/blog/2021/diy-boxtume ours does not look like that at all

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Advertisement