IGNORED

COVID General Discussion thread #5

Darryl

2 hours ago, Kavity said:

Seems like Covd is one issue compared to the issues the actual lockdown have caused with delayed medical treatment in general, same will happen in Melbourne but not to that same large extent and the delayed diagnosis catch up with us. Lockdowns may help limit spread but they have other problems. Covid cannot be eradicated, people will probably still die from it 10 years from now, but the UK really is at the if you want it you can have it point with vaccination, you can't really push more than that without ethical concerns.

Isn't NZ just as bad as us with Vaccination I don't hear anything about her failures? They are  both just as bad, she would be just as guilty if they had a large outbreak, luck on NZ's side?

Well this is where I recall Norman Swan saying the other day that we aren’t going to get the 85pc(?) vaccination we need for herd immunity until teenagers and children are also vaccinated.  The UK hasn’t started yet. As it is the virus is thriving among younger cohorts over there.

I agree we will have to live with COVID. But I don’t think we need to allow so many to die with it. We have to get some level of protection against it before we adjust to COVID-forever normal.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Kavity said:

Covid cannot be eradicated, people will probably still die from it 10 years from now,

Measles was eradicated in Australia.  

People don’t have to die from it.  We have processes in place to pick up imported outbreaks and to contain it.

• Like 5

My nephew caught measles when he was a baby when there was an outbreak in SA a few years ago. It was before he had a vaccination. It was a notifiable disease and he had to quarantine. I would imagine, long-term, COVID will be similar. 

• Like 2

I’m curious, will there be a difference between letting covid in to a country with reasonable rates of vaccination versus a country were covid is already widespread acheiving the same level of vaccination and relaxing rules.

Does that make sense?  I know the vaccine only reduces transmission and infection but if we start fro zero covid does that mean it may be slower to spread (easier to control)

I thought measles had been 'eliminated' in Australia.

I thought the word 'eradication' applied to something like smallpox.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Bornagirl said:

Same. 

People still get measles - that means it’s not eradicated. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Lees75 said:

My nephew caught measles when he was a baby when there was an outbreak in SA a few years ago. It was before he had a vaccination. It was a notifiable disease and he had to quarantine. I would imagine, long-term, COVID will be similar. 

I developed secondary encephalitis as a result of either measles or rubella (lost in the mists of time) in the mid sixties before vaccination.  Ended up with a condition that led to me spending six weeks in hospital recovering, a lifelong condition, seriously underweight all my teenage years, and is now understood to have caused an adrenal tumour that caused severely high blood pressure (amongst numerous other things) for 20 years, before the cause was found.

Edited by Bornagirl
efs
  • Sad 7

27 minutes ago, purplekitty said:

Behind a paywall, but I get the gist.

MintyBiscuit
52 minutes ago, caitiri said:

I’m curious, will there be a difference between letting covid in to a country with reasonable rates of vaccination versus a country were covid is already widespread acheiving the same level of vaccination and relaxing rules.

Does that make sense?  I know the vaccine only reduces transmission and infection but if we start fro zero covid does that mean it may be slower to spread (easier to control)

I believe the issue is that covid keeps mutating so having had covid doesn’t necessarily give you immunity to a new strain. There are examples of people overseas having had covid in the early parts of the pandemic, and now getting the delta strain. Someone smarter than me with this stuff will probably have a better explanation 

• Like 1

purplekitty
29 minutes ago, Bornagirl said:

Behind a paywall, but I get the gist.

An inquiry has been launched into why Covid contact tracers told students who were close contacts at the Chinderah truck stop not to tell their schools they may have been exposed to Covid-19. 

The information was confirmed by Tweed MP Geoff Provest, who had received complaints to his office. 

“This is a very serious issue,” he said. 

He said he had spoken with the Health Minister’s office, which had launched an inquiry into the incident.

More than 40 people, between staff and visitors, have been classified as close contacts at the Chinderah service station Covid venue warning on the weekend.

The Chinderah truck stop was declared a venue of concern between Tuesday July 13, 8.30pm and Wednesday July 14, 7.30am.

Mr Provest said he’d received a number of comments from people in the community stating contact tracers had told students not to tell their schools they were close contacts. 

He could not confirm which schools the students attended.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, JRA said:

Which state?

Purple Kitty's post above yours gives the details.  It's from Tweed Heads.

Over and out

Please forgive me, I posted before I saw the post from Purple Kitty.  I should be more careful in the future

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bornagirl said:

Yes, you’re right.  I really shouldn’t try and post on EB when I’m having a busy day.  I try to type to quickly before I fully process the thought.  

• Like 1

Blueskies12
1 hour ago, purplekitty said:

An inquiry has been launched into why Covid contact tracers told students who were close contacts at the Chinderah truck stop not to tell their schools they may have been exposed to Covid-19. 

The information was confirmed by Tweed MP Geoff Provest, who had received complaints to his office. 

“This is a very serious issue,” he said. 

He said he had spoken with the Health Minister’s office, which had launched an inquiry into the incident.

More than 40 people, between staff and visitors, have been classified as close contacts at the Chinderah service station Covid venue warning on the weekend.

The Chinderah truck stop was declared a venue of concern between Tuesday July 13, 8.30pm and Wednesday July 14, 7.30am.

Mr Provest said he’d received a number of comments from people in the community stating contact tracers had told students not to tell their schools they were close contacts. 

He could not confirm which schools the students attended.

Please excuse my naivety, but am wondering why contract tracers would want close contacts to not tell the schools?

Over and out
4 minutes ago, Blueskies said:

Please excuse my naivety, but am wondering why contract tracers would want close contacts to not tell the schools?

I wonder the same

It could be a miscommunication- EG don’t all go telling the school one by one, they’ll get confused, we’ll formally notify them separately? 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, MsLaurie said:

It could be a miscommunication- EG don’t all go telling the school one by one, they’ll get confused, we’ll formally notify them separately? 

I was thinking something along the same lines. 

• Like 3

MintyBiscuit

NSW Health definitely works closely with schools when there is a confirmed case, we had a couple of cases at our school last year, so if the schools were impacted I’d be genuinely surprised if they weren’t alerted. Miscommunication sounds more likely to me - “no need to tell the school, we’ll do that” becomes “don’t tell the school” by the end of what I imagine would be a stressful phone call to receive. Guess we’ll find out given the inquiry  

• Like 4

Does anyone know if there is a way to compare how Victoria is tracking compared to NSW with delta case numbers in the latest wave? As in, how many cases does Victoria have after 1 week compared to NSW at 1 week, then how many cases at 2 weeks, 3 weeks etc? It would be interesting to see if the harder lockdown has actually made a difference. Obviously Victoria is several weeks behind so the numbers each day would be different.

Advertisement