IGNORED

Multi lit

Fruitmincepies

Oh yeah Multi-lit. Seriously boring. So boring. Lots of evidence it works if you can keep the kid's engaged though. My big kid did it for years but we had an incredibly engaging staff member who taught is and all sorts of prizes involved. While it helps, I wouldn't say it was great for him, but he's dyslexic and has a language disorder in play too. He actually find's the Sounds Write program much more to his liking because you get more background information on why the sounds are like that. Though that could be his tutor. He likes finding out the bits of information behind language rather then lets just repeat stuff over and over until you get it, because he just doesn't learn that way. She also bribes him with sour worms. 

Um in saying that. A fair bit of the behavior's you just mentioned? Like the finds the small words "boring" and couldn't be bothered learning them and the frustration and gaps is describing my younger child. Who has ADHD... and who I really should be getting around to having more assessments done because "quirky" is a good baseline descriptor for him. If he's interested in stuff he'll engage and then disengage after he's figured it out. Like maths. The kid in grade 3 was "failing" basic maths but doing higher level calculations. Because the basic maths was "boring". Why would I want to do basic subtraction and addition when I could be figuring out how to multiple 2-3 digit numbers? And in the process completely doing my teacher's head in... 

Hopefully the teacher can help. The issues with the gaps is they will start making more of an impact next year when she jumps into the next stage of the curriculum. This is where my kiddo started to fall apart with those. 

• Like 2

Fruitmincepies

I met with her teacher today. Apparently the gaps she has are fairly minor, and she’s working through the program very quickly. DD has been moved to a more experienced tutor who is better at keeping her on task and getting it done fast. And they are going to show DD how much of the program she has left so she knows it’s not forever. 

So fingers crossed she’ll keep at it and won’t be so rude in the future. 

• Like 3

On 24/07/2021 at 9:47 PM, Fruitmincepies said:

We had her IQ tested last year, as the gap between her obvious brightness and her school performance was concerning. She tested at 86th percentile, but it was very uneven (ranging from average to extremely high). She was 98th percentile for verbal comprehension. 

We were looking into ADHD last year, but most of the issues seemed to disappear this year with a change of school, so I’ve put it on the back burner. 

Just echoing others, and also don’t forget that adhd symptoms can virtually disappear when the child is engaged and interested. There is also novelty etc which may explain why the issues aren’t there at the new school.

We are looking at getting an assessment later this year and I am worried that the school portion of the survey will be useless as this kid loves their teacher, engages well and is grade or above on their recent report so no flags. Behaviour at home and what we are noticing otherwise can be vastly different. They also do multi-lit and are usually engaged but is definitely resistant to any kind of literacy tasks (also does speech therapy). 

Good luck! Any kid that has these kinds of variations with brightness and  performance can be challenging for mainstream education. Again, would be nice if our kids came with manuals!

• Like 2

Kiwi Bicycle

ADHD assessment is more than just the questionnaire for parents and the teacher. I had to provide reports from our ST, OT plus pay for a 2.5hr WISC assessment with a complete stranger. And also had multiple meetings with the behaviourial and developmental paed and school reports. They use a lot of material to diagnose. I didn't think DS had ADHD as he is very well behaved, but it was his ability to learn and retain that was the issue. 

• Like 1

Fruitmincepies

Thanks @purpleduck, good to know others encountering these challenges. DD’s behaviour at home changed just as dramatically as her school behaviour did, hence we left it to see where things would go. But as @Kiwi Bicycle says, there is more to it so we will see what the dev paed says. 

50 minutes ago, Kiwi Bicycle said:

ADHD assessment is more than just the questionnaire for parents and the teacher. I had to provide reports from our ST, OT plus pay for a 2.5hr WISC assessment with a complete stranger. And also had multiple meetings with the behaviourial and developmental paed and school reports. They use a lot of material to diagnose. I didn't think DS had ADHD as he is very well behaved, but it was his ability to learn and retain that was the issue. 

Oooh, thanks for the reminder, we're on a wait list at the moment but I'm getting the paperwork sorted in preparation. I hope the doctor we have chosen can see through the compensatory tactics our one is using. Even if they aren't impaired enough for an ADHD diagnosis, there are things going on that need supporting.

Fruitmincepies
37 minutes ago, purpleduck said:

Oooh, thanks for the reminder, we're on a wait list at the moment but I'm getting the paperwork sorted in preparation. I hope the doctor we have chosen can see through the compensatory tactics our one is using. Even if they aren't impaired enough for an ADHD diagnosis, there are things going on that need supporting.

The Ed Psych we saw was fabulous, very helpful. 

• Like 1

Advertisement