IGNORED

Help! Kitten smelling bad!

Mocha

We have a 6 month old long haired kitten who has been smelling REALLY bad in the last week. Breath, fur all has a weird awful smell. Currently seems to be getting adult teeth. Some blood when I was brushing her teeth this morning. Could that be the cause? 

Have given  sanitary shave as she was getting poop and pee streaks on her fur on hind legs. Apparently common with this breed until 12-18 months. 

anyone else encountered smelly kittens??? Should I be worried? 

we have only adopted adult cats before this and all smelled so lovely! Is it a long haired thing?  the smell has now transferred to my couches and cat tree! Previously, you couldn’t tell we had cats in the house! 

TIA

My daughter's kitten smelt terrible, turned out it had dental issues.  The kitten was licking the stinky saliva all over it's coat so the whole cat smelt gross.

I hope it's not this, because it's an expensive, ongoing fix.  And miserable for the cat too.

• Like 2

@sne3 my first thought was the breath is causing the fur to smell via grooming but I didn’t think it could be dental issues as she is just 6 months old and I brush her teeth every day! 

I will book her in for a vet visit just in case!

My daughter's kitten started having problems within a week or so of my daughter picking it up from the cat rescue place.  Apparently stress can exacerbate the dental problems this cat has and increasing the dry food in the diet caused another flare up.  The kitten's teeth are likely to all need removing before the cat is a year old.

• Like 1

That sounds terrible! The poor kitten! 
yes we were told to feed wet with our previous cats and have always fed wet. Dry was more of an extra for kittens till they get to a year. Then wet only. 

Is she desexed yet? She might be going into heat? 

Is she having troubles grooming? Given its long hair, keep up with the poop checking, we used to have to do bottom baths for that reason haha. 

Also, i need kitten photos. 

She is good. She is teething! The vet said all looks good and sometimes they get bad breath when that happens. Gave her a shower after the visit and been watching for the new teeth to break through. Smell seems under control now. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Advertisement