IGNORED

Anti MAFS and reality TV

LunaFreya

If people were told things like “We will prioritise drama and conflict for ratings at the expense of your mental health” and “you will be isolated from your support network and we will control your life” I do t think they’d sign up.

And the hate mail from people who think it’s real...

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, LunaFreya said:

If people were told things like “We will prioritise drama and conflict for ratings at the expense of your mental health” and “you will be isolated from your support network and we will control your life” I do t think they’d sign up.

Yeah this is what gets me too; the real life consequences. Seayork is right that people make bad decisions all the time, but a bad decision in normal life is unlikely to get you mad death threats from freaks you've never met. 

• Like 9

Jane Jetson

I've never watched MAFS (unless catching part of it, with the sound turned off and poorly subtitled, while I was stuck in an airport lounge counts) but I've always thought that the sector was hugely unethical. I did watch part of the original Big Brother and Biggest Loser - and some British one which may have been a precursor to Survivor - and wasn't that into it. (Because I am Very Highbrow and my time is better spent reading comics and playing violent video games haha.) I always basically figured it was throwing people into fame who weren't necessarily going to handle it well, with no support, and that's only gotten far worse since social media.

This article though... I read it on the weekend and it did seem a bit short on the number of people who have been interviewed. And chief among them is... Dean.

Even I knew who Dean was. And mate, I'm sorry, but if you go on the air declaring that men should lead women and not be "whipped" by us, and that you want to bring that back, you don't get to be all suprised Pikachu face when people think you are a dickhead. Because your beliefs, as stated by you, make you a dickhead. So you didn't say "Obey" in so many words. Big deal. You weren't made into a villain. You said a lot of shit that you shouldn't have said if you didn't believe it, and that if you do believe it, make you a villain.

I am cynical enough to wonder if the entire piece was pitched and bit at, as a bit of an attempt at reputation restoration for Dean.

• Like 9

VeritasVinumArte

Lego Masters is the only reality TV we watch.

yonks ago we may have watched the original US Bachelor series and an original Survivor or 2. The Block we would record and watch the reveals only as we were interested in what they did to the places not the actual drama - that was boring as batshit. Now our own house renovations are complete no need to watch The Block for ideas.

so yeah, only commercial TV watched this year has been Lego Masters (and once again that is for the Lego not Drama - although I will say after Cale in Season 1 they have seemed to back off on the “drama” and kept Lego focus).

1 hour ago, Jane Jetson said:

Even I knew who Dean was. And mate, I'm sorry, but if you go on the air declaring that men should lead women and not be "whipped" by us, and that you want to bring that back, you don't get to be all suprised Pikachu face when people think you are a dickhead. Because your beliefs, as stated by you, make you a dickhead. So you didn't say "Obey" in so many words. Big deal. You weren't made into a villain. You said a lot of shit that you shouldn't have said if you didn't believe it, and that if you do believe it, make you a villain.

I am cynical enough to wonder if the entire piece was pitched and bit at, as a bit of an attempt at reputation restoration for Dean.

Still no excuse for people sending him death threats 

• Like 3

Of course there's no excuse for people sending death threats. Platforms should start actually preventing people like that from having access to social media. 

Despite this article and all the ones before, despite each season getting worse, people will sign up for it. 

I watch all of it. They're about the only thing I can do mindfully and I appreciate the distraction from my reality. I don't for a second actually think it's real and I'd never in a million years be so invested in it that I'd contact a participant. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Seayork2002 said:

But on the consent thing a contestant goes on the show MAFS (one example) it is a show about marrying someone you have never met (never watched it but I presume this is the case)

What else can be said to a contestant other than 'you are marrying someone you have never met do you understand that?'

Sure the first season the show is unknown but after that wouldn't the contestant watch it themselves before going on it?

The show can't be that much of a surprise to them?

Have you listened to the podcast that Lunafreya refers to? I heard some of it yesterday and even though I knew some of it (and have/would never watch MAFS) even that was eye opening. It is not just a matter of watching a show to get an idea of what will happen to you. It is a lot more manipulative than you would think.

• Like 1

Fruitmincepies
2 hours ago, Kiwi Bicycle said:

My cousin's  cousin was in one of the British ones. An ultra modern house built on a tiny triangular piece of land next to a river made to look like rusty steel. The town wasn't too happy. She wasn't too involved as it was her husband's vanity project. In it they ran out of money and the husband was considering asking her parents ( in NZ) for a " loan', but they didn't in the end. Her parents finally saw the episode and her father almost spat the dummy. He said the guy would of been sent packing if he did.

They are still married ( it was his 2nd marriage), but they sold the house 4 years ago because it was too far away from London where she is a lawyer. They brought a new place he's renovating.

It's  this one here.https://www.themodernhouse.com/past-sales/lewes/

That house is fabulous for the position, love it! I’ll have to find the episode. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LunaFreya said:

You know, I think they probably still would. Lots want fame, so it’s a short cut to fame. And we all know how reputations can be rehabilitated   .

• Like 5

How about the fact that at least one of their former contestants required in-patient psychiatric treatment due to a breakdown on set?

1 hour ago, Jane Jetson said:

I've never watched MAFS (unless catching part of it, with the sound turned off and poorly subtitled, while I was stuck in an airport lounge counts) but I've always thought that the sector was hugely unethical. I did watch part of the original Big Brother and Biggest Loser - and some British one which may have been a precursor to Survivor - and wasn't that into it. (Because I am Very Highbrow and my time is better spent reading comics and playing violent video games haha.) I always basically figured it was throwing people into fame who weren't necessarily going to handle it well, with no support, and that's only gotten far worse since social media.

This article though... I read it on the weekend and it did seem a bit short on the number of people who have been interviewed. And chief among them is... Dean.

Yep. But he’s a Christian!! 
(interesting definition of Christianity that lets you fuck around and cheat and get married fakery!)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

My take on it is if there is a cast next year for MAFS and the other equally awful reality show you'd have to ask why.

The last few years has been awash with these stories about maltreatment, manipulation and every other shitty behaviour you could think from production teams and other contestents so I can not understand why anyone would risk their mental health and reputation to be on these shows.

Edited by STBG 2
edited for clarity
  • Like 8

Just now, STBG 2 said:

My take on it is if there is a cast next year for MAFS and the other equally awful reality shows it is nobody's fault other than the person who puts their name up as a contestant.

The last few years has been awash with these stories about maltreatment, manipulation and every other shitty behaviour you could think from production teams and other contestents so I can not understand why anyone would risk their mental health and reputation to be on these shows.

Victim blaming 

4 minutes ago, LunaFreya said:

Victim blaming 

I can see why you'd say that and believe me, that is not my MO.  These people are putting themselves up knowing it is happening. We are not talking real life stuff here. It shouldn't happen but it does and it seems to be a risk some are willing to take.

Edited by STBG 2
  • Like 4

Just now, STBG 2 said:

These people are putting themselves up knowing it is happening. 

There are plenty of people who take a job in a workplace that are subject to abuse and bullying. This is a known fact? Are you suggesting that they leave as they know this happens or to try and escalate their legitimate complaints?

1 minute ago, LunaFreya said:

There are plenty of people who take a job in a workplace that are subject to abuse and bullying. This is a known fact? Are you suggesting that they leave as they know this happens or to try and escalate their legitimate complaints?

Please do not try and make me out to be someone I am not. This is not real life. 

• Like 1

There are absolutely people who have had awful experiences on reality TV and that's absolutely not okay. 

I think using a person who admits they went and stayed on the show because they wanted publicity as an example of that is not helpful to their cause. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Mooguru said:

There are absolutely people who have had awful experiences on reality TV and that's absolutely not okay. 

I think using a person who admits they went and stayed on the show because they wanted publicity as an example of that is not helpful to their cause. 

I agree.

Edited by STBG 2

5 minutes ago, LunaFreya said:

Abuse is real. Hate Mail is real. Being admitted to a psychiatric ward as an in-patient is real.

Yes, yes and yes.

LF, I am not talking about the people who have already suffered but those who MAY put themselves up for this in the future.....why would you? 

Edited by STBG 2
edited for clarity

Fruitmincepies

Why would you? Because people always think it will be different for them, they are cluey and have a plan on how to play the game… until it turns out they have been portrayed as the villain. 

I watched bits and pieces of a season of MasterChef where I knew a contestant. But it was too weird so I only watched a bit. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Mrs Zee said:

Of course there's no excuse for people sending death threats. Platforms should start actually preventing people like that from having access to social media. 

Despite this article and all the ones before, despite each season getting worse, people will sign up for it. 

I watch all of it. They're about the only thing I can do mindfully and I appreciate the distraction from my reality. I don't for a second actually think it's real and I'd never in a million years be so invested in it that I'd contact a participant. 

Same here.

• Like 1

The last 3 seasons ( or at least 2 ) have been disgusting. Disgusting behaviour from production, 'experts' and contestants. It used to be awful stuff but nothing like what the last couple of series. I think this last one took the cake though and I know the network were overwhelmed by complaints and even me, a lover of most reality will never watch it again unless it changes, it was just too horrific.

• Like 2

I only watch streaming too - there is a whole app for reality tv :lol: 

I love me some mindless trash tv!! 

MAFS isn’t really my thing but I have watched and I realise others enjoy it, that’s ok. Other people don’t get what I watch and that’s cool too. 

Plenty of them do ok from these shows, some of them seem to find love, some of them become some kind of celebrity and obviously some are collateral damage, which is the big issue and what needs addressing. 

Advertisement