As a guest, you're only seeing half the picture - register now for access to all forums. ×
IGNORED

Newspaper bias

sunstarmoon

14 hours ago, Pearson said:

Try living in Qld when there is no alternative in print media other than Newscorp...🤦‍♀️

Or NO print media - at least when there was a local paper (even if they were owned by Newcorp) there was occasional forays into what was once known as journalism by bright eyed things who still believed in the future of a community.

I am hoping it is a cycle.  I got given a book when I was at high school called "that Damned Democrat" about newspaper mogul John Norton (in Australia at the turn of the 19th Century) that showed how low it can really go.  We're getting close.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, JustBeige said:

How is this video "news media " ? this is just a youtuber knob similar to Avi Yemeni, thinking it's hilarious to prank a lawful and peaceful protest about Trans rights in America and expects people to pay him for it. 

I cant see how its got anything to do with media bias or one sided reporting.  He purposely inflamed that protest and is now squawking about it. He shouldn't paid, he should be charged as a public nuisance.  

Murdoch press? Newscorp? Hell, even our own ABC are all pushing a set agenda and not reporting in an inpartial way . If they were truly impartial like they should be, we wouldn't have had a liberal gov for the last 8 years, because all the rorts, rapes, and corruption wouldn't have been covered up. 

Impartial sends you broke in the current environment, and what we absolutely don't want is zero left wing media left to fight the right wing narrative. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RomeoVoid said:

Impartial sends you broke in the current environment, and what we absolutely don't want is zero left wing media left to fight the right wing narrative. 

We need impartial media, not agenda driven. We need the ABC funded appropriately.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Kadoodle said:

We need impartial media, not agenda driven. We need the ABC funded appropriately.

I agree but I think it would take a tidal wave sized wall of common sense media to drown out the amplified crazy/dangerous stuff. I doubt there would be enough money ever to drown it out.  Sometimes you need to fight fire with fire.

• Like 6

Spidey_Senses

Adelaide Now / The Advertiser has become much more middle of the road than it used to be.  Used to be conservative, mocked environmental issues etc.  It has always been particularly biased about certain issues ( anti-obahn tunnel).  Nowadays it is much more likely to report on issues of climate change and other environmental issues in a factual way so that is something positive. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, JustBeige said:

How is this video "news media " ? this is just a youtuber knob similar to Avi Yemeni, thinking it's hilarious to prank a lawful and peaceful protest about Trans rights in America and expects people to pay him for it. 

It's news media because of what he posts in this linked video, about how some of the media have lied about what actually happened.

He wasn't pranking - he went to counter protest - to support a comedian, because he is a comedian himself. Another comedian went with him.

Are they not allowed to show their support to someone who works in the same industry? Is only one side allowed a voice and to protest? It's quite clear you believe that should be the case.

In the video I linked, he shares news sites who are spreading propaganda about what actually went down. I doubt you even watched it.  Other news sites have also spread propaganda about this protest.

He had a peaceful sign, it got broken - and the Netflix writer who broke it, immediately starts yelling out "he's got a weapon." Why would the Netflix writer do that? To have him shot by police? Its quite chilling to watch.

The comedian then gets pushed back by the protestors, and a person with a tambourine runs up to him, screaming at him over and over to "repent mother f^%" - this is at around the 12.33 mark.

At the 14.50 mark, he shows what Variety posted to their 2.6m twitter subscribers - they claim he was pushing against the trans speakers.

Here is a shorter video of what happened, and it's obvious he was the one being pushed.

https://twitter.com/JeremiahGooner/status/1451449103045570567?s=20https://twitter.com/JeremiahGooner/status/1451449103045570567?s=20

Then the image below was posted by the Associated Press. Just google "comedian "screams profanities" damian dovarganes" to see how many news sites ran with this lie.

All he was shouting was "I'm just here to say that jokes are funny, people. Dave Chappelle's a funny guy. I love Dave! I don't know why all the violence, I don't know why all the hate. I just LOVE DAVE CHAPPELLE! DAAAAAVE CHAPPEEEELLE! WOOOOO!"

Apparently this is profanity?

This incident, is a classic example of how the media lies to us, and where some people lack critical thinking skills to step back and realise they are being played.

• Like 1

If someone wants to make jokes at the expense of a persecuted minority, I’m not sure that’s something to be applauded. This is why it’s no longer socially acceptable to make sexist, racist, homophobic or religious jokes. You might find them hilarious, but they’re just bigoted, low effort punching down.

Edited by Kadoodle
  • Like 3

People contacted the Associated press, about the lies linked to the photo.

This is a response. The correction, and photo they still chose to use, is still quite manipulative.

• Like 1

On 22/10/2021 at 9:11 PM, Kadoodle said:

If someone wants to make jokes at the expense of a persecuted minority, I’m not sure that’s something to be applauded. This is why it’s no longer socially acceptable to make sexist, racist, homophobic or religious jokes. You might find them hilarious, but they’re just bigoted, low effort punching down.

Agree 100%,

Here is the organiser of the netflix protest talking about this.

Edited by Ron Swanson

On 22/10/2021 at 12:40 PM, Spidey_Senses said:

Adelaide Now / The Advertiser has become much more middle of the road than it used to be.  Used to be conservative, mocked environmental issues etc.  It has always been particularly biased about certain issues ( anti-obahn tunnel).  Nowadays it is much more likely to report on issues of climate change and other environmental issues in a factual way so that is something positive. 

The Murdoch media recently announced they are now accepting climate change. 
Why the u-turn? Some say because the advertisers started withdrawing. Others say James stepping away did it. Or it might be the readership looking at the bushfires etc and thinking “nah!”  

• Like 3

Lady Sybil Vimes
15 minutes ago, Ron Swanson said:

Agree 100%,

Here is the organiser of the netflix protest talking about this.

Wow! That's appalling. 

I'd seen the footage of the protest but I hadn't seen this. How does someone go from being a straight-up racist to cloaking themselves in progressive language and leading protests supposedly about fairness and inclusivity? Disgusting behaviour but I guess some people will try and hand-wave it away.

It's the same type of self-blindness that sees the protestors take someone's sign, smash it into pieces leaving him only with the stick and then yell "He's got a weapon!" in order to make him seem violent (and maybe try to get him arrested or physically attacked by other protestors?). You don't get to complain about someone causing harm to a group when you're willing to do that.

I saw media outlets were predicting (based on the organiser's say-so) that over a thousand Netflix employees would walk out and it turned out to be only a few dozen so not a great deal of support despite all the stories in the media about it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, purplekitty said:

Misrepresentation by the media is definitely wrong.

Absolutely. It’s unfortunate that the topic has been derailed into yet another gender baiting session though. I’m going to block the thread, I think, because an interesting topic has now become yet another opportunity for crazy stalkers and bullying.

• Like 1

This is worth reading, it's from the Washington Examiner.

Note that this kind of journalistic misconduct — it isn't just bias, it's the deliberate use of lies to promote an agenda — is becoming a lot more common at the Associated Press lately .

There’s a reason the outlet published the original false caption when it could have easily verified the interaction in question with the subject of the picture. It wanted to make Gesualdi out to be the bad guy because doing so fit the narrative the Associated Press had already adopted: that the Netflix protesters were trying to right a “wrong” that had been done to them and that anyone who disagreed was perpetuating said “wrong.”

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/associated-press-lied-about-a-pro-dave-chappelle-comedian-at-the-netflix-protest

It certainly pays to use some critical thought processes, instead of blindly following what the media is trying to brainwash us into thinking.

• Like 1

Spidey_Senses
2 hours ago, Bethlehem said:

The Murdoch media recently announced they are now accepting climate change. 
Why the u-turn? Some say because the advertisers started withdrawing. Others say James stepping away did it. Or it might be the readership looking at the bushfires etc and thinking “nah!”  

Yes I think that public opinion has changed over time.  Very few people IRL seem to be left who are climate change deniers.  And the demographic of newspaper readers perhaps?   Most of us under about age 50 would have learned about climate change in school.

• Like 1

Advertisement