IGNORED

Gold of choice? Ooh, shiny!

purpentine

White gold or silver. But I don't actually wear jewellery at all, it tends to give me dermatitis after a few days, no matter what it is. Even my watch (garmin vivofit - so silicone) does.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jolly_F said:

Mixer. Watch is rose gold, wedding set is gold, necklace is gold, most earrings are silver. I don’t really like yellow gold that much but sadly some things only come in it! 

Never ever understood how weird people can get about mixing metals, it’s very odd how worked up people get about it… 

There is an issue with wearing two rings of different gold carats together. The harder gold can rub and wear the softer one down.

But wearing gold rings and silver necklace, I don't know what their issue is except to be matchy match.

I've always been a gold girl with a preference for rose gold but I recently tried on a beautiful white gold diamond and multi-colored sapphire necklace that could easily win a place in my heart. 

2 hours ago, MintyBiscuit said:

My wedding band and engagement ring are white gold, most other things are silver. I don’t like yellow gold on me at all, haven’t really tried rose gold as I don’t wear much jewellery day to day since having kids 

Engagement ring is white gold. Wedding band was part of a the set... (never got that) 

All other jewelry was always silver. 

Except someone gave me a lovely rose gold necklace (im assuming its gold/genuine and not plated, as it has never been of my neck since and hasnt tarnished) with Jacks name engraved on it. 

Oh and before I got engaged I had purchased myself a white gold dress ring. 

It was one my right ring finger until I reframed the engagement ring. Dress ring is in the jewelry box. 

I have always strongly disliked yellow gold. I think it’s from growing up in a European family where they were covered in copious amounts of tacky gold jewellery. In fact that’s probably where my dislike of jewellery in general comes from. The only jewellery I have is my platinum engagement and wedding rings. I didn’t want the upkeep of having to recoat white gold bands so opted for the platinum as it’s low maintenance and considering it’s the only jewellery I own, it was worth it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Kiwi Bicycle said:

I hate the idea that you need to recoat white gold regularly and it looks like silver. Just get Sterling silver then!

I like yellow gold and love 24 carat gold and have a permanent 24 ct gold bracelet which I hardily take off. My rings etc are 18ct gold for durability.

Sterling silver is typically not durable enough for long term wear. 

I'm a white gold/ platinum wearer. I don't mind some rose gold, but it has to be subtle. I'm not into yellow gold at all.

• Like 1

I don't have a preference, I think they're all nice. I also - I hope you're all sitting down - don't have a strong preference between silver and gold. I like both. I wear both. Both suit me. 

Remember in the 90's it was a huge thing that women were supposed to wear silver OR gold? It was always talked about as though of course we'd all just choose one and stick with it forever. I guess it was probably just marketing, but several older women I know still stick with it. 

• Haha 2

I used to wear white gold but am allergic to whatever they wash it with and was having to plate it at least twice a year which annoyed me no end. Flicked the white and went to yellow and LOVE it.

Classic, timeless and doesn’t date. Also doesn’t have the upkeep of white. 

I don’t wear a lot of jewelry, and no strong preference. I have a bit of this, a bit of that. Some outfits look better with yellow gold, some better with silver tones. Don’t think I actually have any white gold, just silver.  I do like rose gold.

• Like 1

First marriage was yellow gold.  Second set of engagement/wedder is white gold. My 2nd hubby gave me a diamond necklace as a wedding gift, the diamonds are set in white gold however the chain is yellow gold, the yellow chain is supposed to blend into the skin so the diamonds look like they’re floating.

And I wear a silver Georg Jensen bracelet… so I guess I’m a mixer ❤️

If I could afford it, all my jewellery would be platinum. I love the feel and weight of it - it's a gorgeous, beautiful metal. A couple of the jewellery places I worked out death heavily in platinum. As I cannot afford platinum, I have a mix of white and yellow gold (mostly yellow). I do like rose gold but don't yet own anything rose.

• Like 1

VeritasVinumArte

I am a mixer. I can only wear solid gold (18 or 24), no plating as it rubs off on my like glitter. I can’t wear silver either.

I have yellow gold wedding band and my engagement ring is yellow gold band with white gold setting. I have a new fitbit luxe watch which is a “gold” casing and stainless steel metal band. I wear my 10th wedding anniversary necklace - white gold necklace with a single grey pearl every day. My earrings are white gold with 0.75ct secrets pink diamond. I have another set which are also white gold with 1ct clear diamonds.

I wear the same jewellery every day. I feel naked without it.

Platnium for me, I react to yellow and white gold. I have one set of platinum earrings which are pretty much all I wear and my engagement ring is palladium. 

Is it just me or is rose gold now much 'pinker' than it was 10, 20, 30... years ago?

I remember rose gold as being a very subtle rosey gold but now I see it and it's darker and a more obvious pink.

Edited by Tinsel

It depends how much copper they mix in.  I don't know if it tends to be more now; I'm currently having my engagement ring resized, (married 15 years this year) and I know the jeweller was having trouble working out how to match the rose gold exactly.

7 hours ago, VeritasVinumArte said:

I am a mixer. I can only wear solid gold (18 or 24), no plating as it rubs off on my like glitter. I can’t wear silver either.

I have yellow gold wedding band and my engagement ring is yellow gold band with white gold setting. I have a new fitbit luxe watch which is a “gold” casing and stainless steel metal band. I wear my 10th wedding anniversary necklace - white gold necklace with a single grey pearl every day. My earrings are white gold with 0.75ct secrets pink diamond. I have another set which are also white gold with 1ct clear diamonds.

I wear the same jewellery every day. I feel naked without it.

That grey pearl necklace sounds gorgeous. I have a white pearl on a thin gold chain that I bought for my 40th birthday. DS' birthday stone is pearl and I call him my pearl without price (old fashioned expression I got from a book!)

• Like 1

Chocolate Addict

None. I don't like gold, never have. I am a sterling silver or even brushed steel kind of gal. :)

No wedding rings here but I have one silver ring I have not taken off for about 20 years. It is from my best friend, it is almost like our wedding ring. :) It looks as good as the day he gave it to me.

I could probably be tempted with white gold but meh, wouldn't overly excite me.

Advertisement