IGNORED

Target Stores Closures List

Tinsel

Wasn't sure where to put this so happy for it to be moved elsewhere if needed.

This article has a list of the Target stores set to close in the near future and further down in the article, another list of Target stores that will be converting to Kmart stores.

I have to say, I was surprised to see Bondi Junction and Macquarie converting to Kmarts.

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/every-target-set-to-close-as-its-confirmed-which-ones-will-become-kmart-stores-c-1949828?utm_campaign=share-icons&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&tid=1610665853920&fbclid=IwAR2P8JK4sy6hKW-iRuCzVPxb296zGcCy5VNXV_y86gp7jDmJZrBXT2hPolc

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lesley225

• Ozgirl

• Bornagirl

• Seayork2002

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks of this, They spent a fortune doing up the Macquarie one in the last couple of years but I am not surprised, I used to like Target clothes and bedding and towels but they have gone down hill I think

Ours is on that list. I'm so annoyed. We already have a kmart 10 mins away. Not that I shop at the target that much, but I do for clothes sometimes for myself because they're much better quality than kmart or big w but they're much cheaper in price than the branded stores. As if we need more disposable kmart crap.

Thanks of this, They spent a fortune doing up the Macquarie one in the last couple of years but I am not surprised, I used to like Target clothes and bedding and towels but they have gone down hill I think

My mum loves target towels. And only just got new one's. They are nice and fluffy.

I also got eco bed sheets from there, and just got a swimming costume.

Devo.

Our country Target is closing permanently.

Guest BusbyWilkes

Also all the closures in my state (and in many others too from not perfect geography knowledge!) are in smaller towns where they may be the only department store. Really disappointing for those who will have to travel to shop, but especially those who will lose their jobs in towns where there are limited employment options.

squeekums-the-elf

Not overly shocked, they been slipping for a while now

I'm finding big w heaps more reliable for basic stock levels

May stock up on some shorts though lol

Kerilyntaryn21

Yes quite a number of closures are in country areas with no other department store in the town or towns nearby, such a shame. One on the list for June is already demolished, all they have in the town now in Coles. Lots of elderly or low socio economic and they don't drive or do online.

When I was a kid/teenager - 80s/90s you wouldn't be caught dead buying clothes in Target as they had really daggy stuff. Then things changed and not only did Target become cool but so too did their clothing and homewares range. Even famous fashion designers such as Stella McCartney got in on the love. Don't know what or why things changed but for the past few years every time I go into Target it's mostly empty, the products aren't as good as they once were and there seems to be a general feeling of apathy in there every time I go in. While the loss is sad I don't think it comes as any real surprise. I'm actually surprised it didn't happen sooner.

Ours already closed :( happened in October. Now we have Kmart. Which is okay but Target had a lot of stuff that the Kmart we have just doesn’t carry. Like they only have picture books and activity books. No mid primary to adult fiction books. (And no they are not hidden somewhere different, I asked. I’m not the only person here angry about it). And pool toys. I can’t find any pool toys. We live in the tropics and 70% of the houses here have a pool. No branded items. I don’t want to buy Kmart brand stuff for everything, especially kitchen equipment. Means I only have the expensive kitchen shop as an alternative option. Target at least carried a range of brands.

Target is the only nearby store for kids clothes and everyday stuff for me. I will have to drive 4 hours to buy everyday clothes now.

All the other shops are boutique here and only Woolworths or Coles for socks and underwear. It’s really going to make like difficult.

Damn. My local is becoming a Kmart. I don’t like Kmart clothes for me, they lose their shape so quickly and the fabrics are often weird. And their knits are just awful. Fine for daycare clothes but meh. Target kids is much more reliable.

Jersey Caramel

My local is becoming a Kmart...yuck. I like Target for my tween/teen boys clothes - stylish without being too trendy (my kid is pretty conservative in his taste), at reasonable prices and quality. Also PJs. I agree with PP that they seem to have gone a bit downhill in terms of store presentation though.

So the closest 3 stores to me are all closing down or becoming Kmarts, are they keeping any Target stores open at all?

Target has gone up and down over the past few years, I don't see it as particularly good value anymore. The prices have gone up but the quality is still average.

Kmart success has basically cannibalised the Target market (yes, I noticed the pun).

I agree with a lot of the PPs have said above. I really feel for rural areas that will now be without a department store. Online shopping has had increasing trends, accelerated by Covid, but there are so many people who don't/can't shop online or who want to actually see an item in person :(

Kmart success has basically cannibalised the Target market (yes, I noticed the pun).

I agree with a lot of the PPs have said above. I really feel for rural areas that will now be without a department store. Online shopping has had increasing trends, accelerated by Covid, but there are so many people who don't/can't shop online or who want to actually see an item in person :(

I presume though if enough people shopped in them in the rural areas and they were doing good business they would not have closed them?

I am really sorry to see the Bondi Junction one converting to Kmart. Its a good store, always well stocked and presented. I have bought loads of things for my kids there over the years. There is already a Kmart (huge jumble of a store) only 5 mins walk from Target.

Our store has not ever been on any list, yet it's already changed from Target to Kmart.

Must admit I haven't followed the 'trends' of how the stores are doing, but have a loyalty to Target from when my daughter was small and the Target stuff was good and Kmart was crap. Not only was the stock crap - there were no 'basics', everything for girls was tizzy in some way - but the stock was jammed together on shelves, much of which ended up on the floor.

When I have five extremely lean years for my business my only clothes came from Target - my previous dressy clothes were fine for some of it, but not most.

Haven't been into it since it's been a Kmart so will have to reserve my judgement on it currently.

I found (haven’t been shopping at any much in the last few years) that the stores varied dramatically. Target at Carlingford Court was fantastic, yet Parramatta was crap. We moved further out from Carlingford and our closest Target was worse than the Parramatta store. We just stopped shopping there in the end. My mum lives up the coast and the Target Country they have is pathetic!

I found the same with Myer stores. We lived on Sydney’s Lower North Shore for many years and their Myer stores were good, but the further out (west) you go, the more the standards drop. I get it for the really top ‘designer’ brands, but their basic everyday clothing drops too!

I agree with many of the previous posters, over the last 10 years their quality and basics have gone downhill. I buy their undies but not much else now. Their bigger sizes esp went down to nanna tents in nylon but i'm only a bit bigger than their normal sizes but i have things I bought i bought 15 years ago which are still good.

We have 3 targets in Newcastle and they all seem to be staying.

ClaudiaCosette

My local shopping centre has both Target and Kmart, and I'm relieved to see it's not on the list because I much prefer Target. I really dislike the central checkouts of Kmart. The Target is so much more spacious and less intimidating. So I feel sorry for all whose stores are closing/converting.

I always liked the Doncaster Target. It's well laid out. I can get to the city one easily enough but it's small.

Target do have a good mobile app though so I wonder if they will ramp that up

Our local is not on the list to close but Facebook posts have staff have been told it’s closing mid year with the rest of the centre being renovated and Target won’t be reopening

I'm surprised the one closest to me isn't closing - it is tiny, at the end of a shopping centre that not many people go to, unlike the Kmart in the same shopping centre that is right in the middle of the other shops

Advertisement