IGNORED

Rioters requesting pardons

IamtheMumma

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jan/16/us-capitol-rioters-donald-trump-pardons

Thoughts?

I'm conflicted. On one hand, I feel sorry for them. They were either conned or lacked the mental ability to understand. Maybe both. Trump is a conman. Trump gives the illusion of being for the underdog but there's no mistaking his self interest. His primary goal is to get his own way and he manipulates others into doing it.

But should society and the deaths of 5 people go unpunished because people believed their president when he called them to arms? This is a society who has elevated their president to superstar status, so can you blame them? They have patriotism hurled upon them at birth which has led to domestic terrorism being rampant in their country.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Seayork2002

• Lurker

• Bad Cat

• Blondie

Top Posters In This Topic

acidulous osprey

No sympathy whatsoever. Yes Trump told them to march but what were they doing in the first place? White supremacists and neo-Nazis are not worthy of sympathy let alone pardons.

It was an insurrection. What if they had killed congresspeople as they planned to? Would you feel sorry for them then? It's not over yet either.

Chocolate Addict

If they were African American would this even be a question? (the answer is no)

Throw every charge possible at them. Others are jailed for lesser things. They knew what they were doing was wrong, fuck them.

Team fuck ‘em here.

They knew what they were doing, they knew the potential for this to go bad, now it’s time to face the consequences for your actions!!

ineedmorecoffee

Yes he told them to go down there but it reminds me of the old saying - if your friend tells you to jump off a bridge, do you?

I think Trump should be charged and locked up with all of the rioters.

Can’t believe the ‘horn man’ has requested organic food whilst in custody and actually got it! Can you imagine an African American man being granted organic food in custody?

Team personal responsibility here. That's why in direct action left wing protests people divide themselves into arrestable and unarrestable. You make a conscious choice of where your lines are. To externalise the entire blame is ridiculous.

That said, the idea that these people will face charges on the serious end and Trump will likely skate is utterly galling

ETA : It's kind of like if just the kids under Charles Manson's spell went to jail for the sharon Tate murder and he'd walked free. No one would have countenanced it, right?

Edited by Anonymous

Can’t believe the ‘horn man’ has requested organic food whilst in custody and actually got it! Can you imagine an African American man being granted organic food in custody?

His mummy rang the prison to request it for him....

Should Nazis have been pardoned because "they were just following orders"? Of course not. Treating them like they're little kids is at best naive and at worst dangerous.

No pardon for this pack of neo-nazi rabble. And honestly, I can't imagine Trump would answer their calls for a pardon anyway. It's not as though he cares about them.

Only a few days now before he's out and can't pardon them anyway. Plus, he'll be busy dealing with all the indictments that he's about to be hit with.

This i why I think society is such a mess this is a major lack of responsibility in all areas of society. You rioted don't blame anyone but yourself

And this is one of the first life lessons I taught my son do not blame others for your actions etc.

Ignorance of the law is not a defense. But laws wont apply here. No, of course the dont deserve a pardon, they deserve the legal process and consequences for their actions. They wont get that though

Nope.

You bayed for the life of elected officials. You rioted and killed police officers. You smashed your way into the capitol. You damaged property and put people into lockdown. The agents who had to protect the politicians were in danger of their life.

It wasn’t a peaceful protest March. This is so much more.

You chose to ignore the reality and follow trump regardless of all the evidence of lies. You find secret codes and messages from him.

This was an armed insurrection aimed at kidnapping and murdering elected representatives of the people.

An attempt to overthrow a government.

These people have been enabled and humoured for years and this is where it leads.

Domestic Terrorism was identified by US government law enforcement as the top priority and danger.

No excuses and no mercy for them or any who encouraged them or turned a blind eye.

Trump is a conman. Trump gives the illusion of being for the underdog but there's no mistaking his self interest. His primary goal is to get his own way and he manipulates others into doing it.

I cannot stand people like Trump. Narcissistics who lie and manipulate others, then act like the victim.

This group of people should be held accountable for their action.

Yes he told them to go down there but it reminds me of the old saying - if your friend tells you to jump off a bridge, do you?

I think Trump should be charged and locked up with all of the rioters.

The organic food thing has been disputed by the justice department, I believe. It was originally widely reported that his lawyers argued that he needed to be provided with organic food for religious reasons and that a judge ordered this.

The most recent version I read stated that his lawyers told the court he hadn't eaten in 36 hours because the food wasn't organic and that they were not sure exactly why he required organic food. The judge agreed that this was unacceptable (as in, he can't be allowed to continue to starve himself in police custody) and ordered that a solution be found. There was no specific order made to have him provided with organic food, merely a directive to ensure he wasn't staving himself indefinitely.

https:// I'm conflicted. On one hand, I feel sorry for them. They were either conned or lacked the mental ability to understand. Maybe both. Trump is a conman. Trump gives the illusion of being for the underdog but there's no mistaking his self interest. His primary goal is to get his own way and he manipulates others into doing it

I'm really not getting it. Why should these adults who had the ability to plan an insurrection, organise accommodation and plane tickets and then go ahead with it all be seen as lacking mental ability? Did their mums organise it all for them? Just because they looked ridiculous on TV doesn't mean they didn't know what they were doing. Let's stop treating them like they're little kids who don't know any better. They knew exactly what they're doing.

I think Trump has some other people at the front of the queue for pardons. Much as it disgusts me to acknowledge that.

I think breaking in with zip ties, shouting death threats and rubbing excrement inside shows such a 100pc disrespect for American government and society...No, into the clink and meet the shrink. These people have been radicalised.

Trump can't pardon anyone while he is under impeachment. So no there' s no chance at all for the rioters to get pardons from him. The only way would be if he resigned and Pence took over for the next few days and had Pence grant the pardons.

Advertisement