IGNORED

Marilyn Manson **trigger warning**

zeldazonk

** Trigger warning - relates to domestic violence and sexual assault **

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2021/02/he-horrifically-abused-me-for-years-evan-rachel-wood-and-other-women-make-allegations-of-abuse-against-marilyn-manson

Has anyone been following the allegations about Marilyn Mason? I only just came across this today and I am absolutely horrified. As someone who has never been into his music, I was unaware of his history. The allegations made by Evan Rachel Wood and others about him are truly horrific beyond words. What is worse is that he actually has admitted to abusive behaviour in his autobiography and interviews over the years, and that this has gone largely ignored.

I honestly felt sick reading about the way he has treated these young vulnerable women. As a sexual abusive survivor myself, my heart breaks for Evan Rachel Wood, but I also think she is incredibly brave. I hope naming him publicly gives her back some of the power he stole from her.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zeldazonk

• nightmarish

• MintyBiscuit

• magic_marker

Top Posters In This Topic

I always thought he was creepy, even looking at a picture of him made my skin crawl. They are incredibly brave and, I agree, I hope this gives them back their power

I know someone who met him and spent a few hours with him as he showed him around a Koala rescue centre. He said he was extremely charming, very well read on Australian animals and asked really knowledgeable questions about native fauna. He came away bowled over by his intellect, wit and charm. Of all the hundreds of celebs he's shown through, MM stood out. Interesting in light of the information that's coming out...

ArabellaKagical

Can we please not go down the line - of course he must be a creep because of the way he looked - its not too far away from well she should have know what he was like what did she expect tea and scones? or maybe she should have gone out with that nice preppy looking man Jeffrey Epstein, instead!

Marilyn Manson is a creep because of the things he did and agree with a very well written OP

I listened to his music quite a bit in my teens and early twenties, and remember reading his autobiography years ago - a lot of very messed up stuff but most of it was written off as part of his “shock rock” image. Reading interviews in more recent years were pretty disturbing and if I’m honest I’ve been waiting for something like this to come out. It’s good to see his record label has immediately dropped him, and I hope his alleged victims get some sort of positive result out of this. The music industry still hasn’t had its #metoo reckoning despite the rumours, so maybe this is the beginning

Can we please not go down the line - of course he must be a creep because of the way he looked - its not too far away from well she should have know what he was like what did she expect tea and scones? or maybe she should have gone out with that nice preppy looking man Jeffrey Epstein, instead!

Marilyn Manson is a creep because of the things he did and agree with a very well written OP

I agree with this, however I do think his look/image is relevant in a different way. I feel like it is a case of "hiding in plain sight" (similar to Jimmy Savile). I had a boss who liked to dress "cool" (or at least he thought) and cultivated an image as a "ladies man". So people were able to dismiss really inexcusable behaviour as "oh that's just him / he's a right character" rather than acknowledging he was a sexual predator. I think MM's look/persona means that people dismissed the rumours because he was just a bit creepy/odd/weird, rather recognising the things he said and did were actually reflective of an abhorrent and abusive man.

I know someone who met him and spent a few hours with him as he showed him around a Koala rescue centre. He said he was extremely charming, very well read on Australian animals and asked really knowledgeable questions about native fauna. He came away bowled over by his intellect, wit and charm. Of all the hundreds of celebs he's shown through, MM stood out. Interesting in light of the information that's coming out...

This could be indicative of a narcissistic personality. Some of the most abusive men I know present as incredibly intellectual and charming at first and in public.

I loved his music as a teenager, and still listen to his older stuff now. Even seen him live here in Australia back in 2015. Didn’t know much about him though - other than a few interviews where he seemed highly intelligent and charming.

Very sad/angry for the women (and possibly men?) who have been traumatised by him. Don’t think I’ll be able to listen to his music anymore, as much as I still love some of it.

I was a huge fan back in my teens and even met him and had a copy of his book autographed. Once I stopped being a naïve teenager I realised how wrong a lot of what he wrote about in his autobiography was, there was a definite pattern of treating people like shit just because he could, but there is always the issue of knowing what is the character and what is the truth. He interviewed well, was articulate (drugs have taken a toll now) and spoke for a lot of misfits,

There was ample evidence that the guy was an abuser. He has a well documented history of violence towards bandmates and had said in interviews about his desire to hurt Evan and now a number of his other exes have come forward as well.

I have seen a lot of people defending him, basically saying that if you went home with MM you had to know what you were signing up for and putting it down as BDSM. Even if there was some level of consensual behaviours there there were huge lines that were crossed. There was a huge age and power imbalance in the relationship. She testified before congress quite a few years ago (but didn't name names) and it is really heartbreaking stuff.

I also hate how people are using this to justify parents banning his music back in the day, and that dressing weird and just being different is a red flag. Just because he was an abuser does not mean all goths* are. Stereotypes are damaging

*He never made Goth music, and really belongs in shock rock anyway

He spoke so convincingly and was articulate and empathetic in Bowling for Columbine. I’m appalled by this, and hope his victims all get their say.

I know. This is where I had respect for him.

Gone now

I think MM's look/persona means that people dismissed the rumours because he was just a bit creepy/odd/weird, rather recognising the things he said and did were actually reflective of an abhorrent and abusive man.

I think that can play out in a myriad on ways. There's always a reason why they're not abusive, It can very occasionally be because "it's too obvious" in the case of someone presenting themselves outside of the norm but 98% of the time it's because "they're just like me/my friend /this nice guy I dated in school" therefore I'll ignore the red flags / discount it because I want to keep admiring them / I can benefit from the social ''pull'' they seem to have.

Speaking as a bit of a veteran of various subcultures - the main difference with predators in those contexts is usually the fact that the victim is seen by the mainstream as creepy/odd/weird and therefore what they say gets distorted/discounted. Alternative/edgy/nonconformist females are seen as "asking for it" by refusing various trappings of cultural feminity by a terrifying number of people both male and female.

That's not the case here - you have a victim who presents herself in a way that the public are able to be sympathetic and hear her voice. This is great but if a victim doesn't look like or have the social status of Evan Rachel Wood chances are this would be playing out very differently. None of the other victims clearly felt their voices would hold up against his. Even ERW stayed silent until her star rose enough that her voice held more weight. It's so fucked.

I felt truely shocked and disgusted by the fact that people around MM should have or would have known that he was abusive but did or said nothing. 🤢

However that is the same thing that has happened again and again in history in so very many cases of abuse. It is like knowing something to be a fact of life but struggling to comprehend that it happens.

I felt truely shocked and disgusted by the fact that people around MM should have or would have known that he was abusive but did or said nothing

Pretty much modus operandi for industries such as music, TV, movies, church, business, politics etc where the abuser has a level of power.

Advertisement