• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• riotproof

• acidulous osprey

• PurplePaperFrog

• Lady Sybil Vimes

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel sad and angry, all at the one time. Buffy and Angel are 2 of my all time favourite shows, with such memories tied to them. Our mutual love of Buffy/Angel, was what brought XH and I together, as we would sneak away from Tuesday night small group at church to watch Buffy - ah the memories of young, innocent love!

I feel sad and angry, all at the one time. Buffy and Angel are 2 of my all time favourite shows, with such memories tied to them. Our mutual love of Buffy/Angel, was what brought XH and I together, as we would sneak away from Tuesday night small group at church to watch Buffy - ah the memories of young, innocent love!

Awww Lees. The other cast members seem to be coming out in support, which is is good.

I just thought “another jerk”. Sigh.

acidulous osprey

This isn't new. Charisma has talked about the abuse around her pregnancy before and James Marsters has talked about how Whedon didn't like him and how that played out. After the attempted rape scene with Buffy, SMG was given support and counselling and he was offered no support despite finding filming that scene traumatising.

Whedon is known for affairs and gossip has it that the reason Eliza Dushku was given the lead in Dollhouse was that they were having an affair. Given Dushku's lack of acting ability, one has to wonder.

Lady Sybil Vimes

Ray Fisher is brave for standing up against abuse. Hope he still has a career after this.

Most of it isn't new information although I don't think Charisma Carpenter had mentioned the part about calling her fat while she was pregnant. Whedon's just another disappointing "male feminist". He's got away with it for a long time - CC had talked before about being punished for getting pregnant, his wife wrote that article about him cheating on her continuously while using her to bolster his male feminist reputation. It's a shame because Buffy was amazing when it was at its best. Good reason to separate the art from the artist, I guess.

VeritasVinumArte

I am separating the art from the artist as currently Watching early seasons Buffy with DD (grade 6. We will not be watching seasons 6/7 until she is older).

This isn't new. Charisma has talked about the abuse around her pregnancy before and James Marsters has talked about how Whedon didn't like him and how that played out. After the attempted rape scene with Buffy, SMG was given support and counselling and he was offered no support despite finding filming that scene traumatising.

Whedon is known for affairs and gossip has it that the reason Eliza Dushku was given the lead in Dollhouse was that they were having an affair. Given Dushku's lack of acting ability, one has to wonder.

Really. I hadn’t heard those stories- I quite like Dushku and dollhouse.

I have been following joss and the abuse and affair stories for a few years now and it is so disappointing that someone who’s work I like so much is such an a hole. I’m not sure if I actually can rewatch his stuff now knowing all that.

acidulous osprey

James Marsters used to have a blog (maybe still does) and talked about how Whedon didn't like Spike and the character was only brought back as fan service. Whedon usually works/ed with a small group of actors and it was notable that Marsters wasn't offered roles in any other series except Angel.

I used to be on a forum years and years ago that was for Buffy fans.

I feel like there were whispers about this a few years ago? A script or something leaked? Maybe a dream. But honestly, not a huge surprise. I got dragged along to a Q&A years ago and what. a. knob.

I also never quite understood the “he writes amazing feminist characters!” rhetoric. Buffy is not what I’d call a feminist character (ducks and hides)

Its sad but I don't doubt it.

I like how Sarah Michelle Gellar said she is proud to be associated with Buffy Summers but not Joss Whedon. I think that sums it up for me.

PurplePaperFrog

I'd just rather have my feminist heroines written by an actual feminist.

Maybe I'm missing something- he's a right ass and has a gross personality- he mistreats men, women, black people- everyone it seems. But can he also not be a person who believes in equality and equal opportunity for men and women?

People can be more than one thing.

I know a man who cheated on his wife, but he's definitely the better parent when it comes to his kids.

acidulous osprey

I don't think you can claim to be a feminist if you are not actually living as one. If someone says they are not racist but do racist things, surely they are racist?

It's possible to be a crap partner but an excellent parent as those are not life philosophies, they are two very different roles.

Interesting being that Eliza has had a ccouple of claims of sexual harassment from other cast members.

Considering she had to act woodenly, the dollhouse lead seemed apt.

PurplePaperFrog

I don't think you can claim to be a feminist if you are not actually living as one. If someone says they are not racist but do racist things, surely they are racist?

It's possible to be a crap partner but an excellent parent as those are not life philosophies, they are two very different roles.

I guess I'm saying maybe his behaviour doesn't come from misogyny because its not directed at women for being women- he could for example- treat everyone like crap, but pay them all the same.

I just don't see it as against women per se.

Interesting being that Eliza has had a ccouple of claims of sexual harassment from other cast members.

Wasn't sure the victim rather than the perpetrator?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2018/12/13/business/media/cbs-bull-weatherly-dushku-sexual-harassment.amp.html

She's also come out in support of charisma too

Wasn't sure the victim rather than the perpetrator?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2018/12/13/business/media/cbs-bull-weatherly-dushku-sexual-harassment.amp.html

She's also come out in support of charisma too

Badly written by me, people talking to me while I'm EBing...🙄 yes, she has been the victim of several a'holes.

But I was trying to say interesting the claim she was having an affair.

Advertisement