IGNORED

Facebook to restrict sharing or viewing Australian and international news content

Darryl

Facebook will restrict publishers and people in Australia from sharing or viewing Australian and international news content.

The announcement comes in response to proposed new laws in Australia that would force tech companies to negotiate with media companies over how much to pay them for news content.

The move would also prevent people overseas from sharing Australian content on the social media site.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-18/facebook-to-restrict-sharing-or-viewing-news-in-australia/13166208

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LemonMyrtle

• pelagic

• Sugarplum Poobah

• Bethlehem

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been a long time since I had a Facebook account, and I don't remember ever reading the news on it.

Wouldn't the news sites on Facebook just be comment pits?

A lot of people get their news from Facebook.

Headlines like snap lockdown decisions, huge amount of Covid information, for example. People have it appearing in their normal browsing. A lot of people are more likely to pick up the information in a quick Facebook browse, rather than specifically going and looking at a news website.

It's been a long time since I had a Facebook account, and I don't remember ever reading the news on it.

Wouldn't the news sites on Facebook just be comment pits?

They can be, if you bother reading the comments.

I get a portion of news from FB because I have liked the local newspaper, ABC, the local station and their articles then pop up on my feed.

I'm stunned that they have done this.

I get all my news on Facebook! I follow ABC, 7Adelaide, and probably a few others.

Same. I always scroll through the ABC Facebook page to see if I’ve missed any headlines. And I read some of the ridiculous comments to keep it real and remind myself that people, weird people. exist outside my bubble.

All because our government wants to have a dick swinging contest with the tech giants at the behest of Murdoch.

Exactly. It’s a stupid stupid thing they have started and they’re too arrogant to back down now.

Stupid Liberals.

Carole Cadwalladr

@carolecadwalla

Replying to

@carolecadwalla

Never forget: Facebook turned off access to evidence-based journalism for an entire country in the middle of a global pandemic.

I get all my news on Facebook! I follow ABC, 7Adelaide, and probably a few others.

Same. I love that things pop up as I am scrolling. I have ABC, SBS, local newspapers and tv news stations. I have some pages that are for specific types of news that I am interested in.

I think it’s a crap move! It’s another way of making the population dumber so they will believe the crap the majors and the government spin.

Evidence-based journalism? Isn't that a bit of a stretch :P

Will this make anyone actually delete their Facebook accounts?

Better than allowing the conspiracy theorists and anti vaxxers to run rampant with nothing to challenge them.

It's unlikely I'll delete my account. They have me over a barrel. Only place to catch up with overseas relatives, sporting club's put all our club news there.

What else can be done to protest this? Would FB even care? (No!)

Evidence-based journalism? Isn't that a bit of a stretch :P

Will this make anyone actually delete their Facebook accounts?

The thing is, there has been a lot of legitimate news on there. Sure, you get the dodgy stuff, but a lot of legitimate news outlets would put up new headlines.

And I do find it worrying that during Covid, people are loosing this news link.

Unfortunately, the obvious action of deleting your account to protest isn’t going to happen. Facebook is social connections, and family connections for a lot of people. And to be honest, I doubt Australia is a big enough market to even cause Facebook a blip, even if they did.

Argh! Sports news is now random. Can still see Tennis Australia, but no 7Cricket. And a lot of the sports sites I follow are essentially re-sharing relevant news items, which they won’t be allowed to do.

Does ABC etc use Instagram? Could this be what finally forces me on to it?

I’m stunned by how many people have FB as their only news source. I have friends who are all stressed about where they will find the news....bit worrying.

Of course it’s a horrible thing for FB to do and has wide ranging implications, it’ll likely push me off FB (I only use it for a couple of groups I’m part of). But it won’t change how I get my news.

ClaudiaCosette

I get my news from the actual news websites, but I have liked my local ABC on Facebook because they often have local stories which I'm interested in, and I don't think can be accessed anywhere else. Does that also count as "news" and if so will it be restricted?

I get my news from the actual news websites, but I have liked my local ABC on Facebook because they often have local stories which I'm interested in, and I don't think can be accessed anywhere else. Does that also count as "news" and if so will it be restricted?

I believe so, yes.

I’m guessing yes. We have a local “news of the area” with just little local interest stories, and it’s not showing anything anymore, same as the big news pages.

I think for a lot of people, they would be able to find other sites to get news. But will they bother? Having the news headlines pop up in your Facebook feed was simple, no effort. Easy to choose your local Facebook news page, and get the ones relevant to you - most news sites don’t break down to that same local level. People are far more likely to open up Facebook to have a quick browse while doing other things, and the news was there. Far less likely to open up a news website to just fill in a few minutes.

Sugarplum Poobah

You can't see the news site's Facebook pages anymore. I also can't believe this is happening in the middle of a global pandemic when access to mainstream news is crucial!

As an aside I searched for news sites on Facebook this morning -- when I searched for the Age I got a whole series of articles (from America) which told me that Russ Limbaugh had died. The SEO on that is fascinating!

I’m stunned by how many people have FB as their only news source. I have friends who are all stressed about where they will find the news....bit worrying.

Well yer it is a bit worrying if they don’t know to go to other sources for their news.

It’s convenient to use FB, means you don’t have to go to other websites unless you want to find out more.

God I hope I this doesn’t force me to use bloody Twitter, I hate that thing!!

Yes, especially after the Social Dilemma documentary - you don’t want FB to be deciding your news content.. Like you I save the actual news websites in my bookmarks and go straight there.

Advertisement