As a guest, you're only seeing half the picture - register now for access to all forums. ×
IGNORED

Content Warning: 10 Years Christchurch Earthquake

Chchgirl

I wasn't sure where to post this.

Today is 10 years since the February 22nd Earthquake.

We had moved temporarily back to Oz a few months before as my late Dh was accessing chemo that we couldn't there.

I am luck I lost nobody, many people I know did. Many I know were affected housing wise. My dh's building in High st was literally one of the few not damaged.

We were supposed to go back in March but put it off because of the quake. I'm happy to say we got back in April 2012 before he passed away in Oz in July 2012.

I've been back many times since, and moved most of my stuff there at the end of 2019, was back and forth over the Tasman till I got locked down here in Oz nearly a year ago. I'll get back when I'm allowed.

I was meant to be there at the memorial today, but covid.

Thinking of anyone on here who has families and friends in Chch. Kia Kaha ❤❤

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chchgirl

• blackcat20

• Kiwi Bicycle

• ClaudiaCosette

Top Posters In This Topic

ClaudiaCosette

Christchurch is one of my favourite cities. I have very fond memories of my visits there (all pre-earthquake) and I was devastated to see the destruction it caused and to think about the lives lost. Thinking of you [mention]Chchgirl[/mention] and all NZers today.

Christchurch is one of my favourite cities. I have very fond memories of my visits there (all pre-earthquake) and I was devastated to see the destruction it caused and to think about the lives lost. Thinking of you @Chchgirl and all NZers today.

It is getting better each year. It was always going to be a long rebuild.

Still a lovely place 😊

My DH lived there for both the quakes, and moved to Aus shortly after the 2011 one. It's been interesting visiting every year to see the progress, and my first visit was quite a shock compared to when I had first been in 2007.

I had friends living near the gondola. Their side of the valley was fine ( they had minor gib board cracking) but the other side of the valley was red zoned. My friend's school she taught at was relocated ( Redcliffs).

DH's cousin and husband were quite traumatised by it, the husband was in engineering and was heavily involved in clean up. He got very burnt out and they moved to WA for 3 years to get away from it. They did go back.

I haven't been then for a long time, so in my head it's the orginal Christchurch, but it's so different now. I am just glad work has started on the Catherdral. The ruins from photos looked so sad.

I had friends living near the gondola. Their side of the valley was fine ( they had minor gib board cracking) but the other side of the valley was red zoned. My friend's school she taught at was relocated ( Redcliffs).

DH's cousin and husband were quite traumatised by it, the husband was in engineering and was heavily involved in clean up. He got very burnt out and they moved to WA for 3 years to get away from it. They did go back.

I haven't been then for a long time, so in my head it's the orginal Christchurch, but it's so different now. I am just glad work has started on the Catherdral. The ruins from photos looked so sad.

I remember years ago when we used to drive out to Sumner beach, my dh used to say he'd never want to have a house up on the cliffs as they'd be gone in a quake. He was right unfortunately.

There's a lot of good coming along, I feel the new buildings in the cbd will be a lot safer, I wasn t there for it but have been there for aftershocks, especially in 2012.

Shame they couldn't save The Catholic cathedral, I thought it was beautiful..

Thinking of you and all the New Zealanders Chchgirl.

I went over to New Zealand all the time for work during the mid-late 90s, especially Christchurch, and I thought it was one of the most beautiful places on the planet; I'd always meant to go back. Work would put me up at the Parkroyal and it was one of the victims of the quake. The Cathedral was just breathtaking.

After Covid I'm planning to go back and drag the family along (DH is very willing, and envious that he didn't get to see it pre-quake). I'm sure it's still one of the most beautiful places ever.

I've been living it up studying and working on the central coast for nearly a year since the borders all shut. I look at it as getting to spend extra time with the oldest dd as this is where she lives.

Advertisement