IGNORED

Growing up what news do you remember

Seayork2002

Seayork2002

Or not remember that you learnt about as adults that others speak of? (spin off thread)

Good or bad news

I had a irish great grandmother (from the Greek side of the family) but she died when I was in primary so don't remember her being Irish just there, but because of my love of the uk I knew about the IRA and the troubles

I remember the Berlin wall coming down but only knew the basics

I have US relatives so know about their presidents a bit

I remember Charles and Diana's wedding when I was 6 or so

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Seayork2002

• Ozgirl

• BECZ

• Bornagirl

Top Posters In This Topic

Fruitmincepies

My first memories of international news is of the Gulf War. I was super confused as to why the game my grandmother loved to play was such a big deal that countries were fighting over it.

JFK being shot,

Man walking on the moon,

Harold Hot drowning.

These I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing at the time of finding out.

Chernobyl

The Challenger explosion

The start of the war in Iraq (1990 or so?)

Lockerbie Pan Am bombing

Berlin Wall

Scott & Charlene’s Wedding on Neighbours

I wasn’t that interested but I do remember the IRA and the troubles because I remember worrying about my grandmother going over there by herself to look into the family history. I’m not sure it was still happening when I was young but I remember talking about it.

I also remember something about Bob Hawke. Not sure exactly what. I just remember him being in a big crowd.

I wasn’t born for Charles and Dianna’s wedding. (My year of birth is 83).

I also remember Bill Clinton and Monica Labroski (so?).

The “scandal” of Cathy Freeman winning her race and running around with the Aboriginal flag, not the Australian one. (In class we were cheering her on and couldn’t see it as “wrong”).

A lot of it is only vague memories that were then expounded upon by curiously for history at a later date.

I do remember rather vividly Dianna’s death as we happened to be in a car accident the same day and it was the last time my best friends mother ever drove due to MS.

ETA oh yes, the Gulf War I remember that. And then not 10 bloody years later it starting off again with 9/11 and sending troops into Iraq and Afghanistan.

Edited by CrankyM

I don't really remember anything... I don't know if my memory is just crap or my parents didn't talk about it around me. They are both very political and enjoy a deep conversation on world events so I'm sure they discussed it.

VeritasVinumArte

Born 1974 and I remember quite a few International things as I did do traveling as a child. So the IRA threat was high on my radar as in London numerous times the train lines were stopped due to suspicious packages.

Lybia and Gaddafi too with the Lockerbie Bombing. Actually most major aircrashes. My eldest gets annoyed when watching Aircrash Investigations as I go “I remember this one” very often.

Mt St Helen’s eruption (as dad was flying often and concerned about his flights - volcanic ash plus engines very bad).

Challenger Explosion

America’s Cup Win

Chernobyl was high on the radar too as living in the UK at the time.

Various mass shootings in the USA as we spent much time in Boston late 70s/early 80s.

The Chamberlain case in the early 80s. Samantha Knight.

All the Royal stuff from Shy Di to her death and I was in London when Andrew/Fergie got engaged.

StillFreddiesMum

TV in NZ seemed to cover alot of the international stuff - I remember the IRA and the bombings in London / the "Troubles" as it was caused. I remember Ronald Reagan being shot at. I don't remember Charles and Diana's wedding - I'm not sure why or if we didn't watch it. Lots about the French doing nuclear testing in the Pacific and the French secret service bombing the Rainbow Warrior.

I seem to watch a lot of documentaries and what was happening when it happened - the problems in the Middle East / different Olympic Games / the Berlin Wall falling / the fall of Soviet Russia / different political scandals not just in NZ but around the world / lots of elections.

The Granville Rail Disaster

The Dismissal

The Berlin Wall coming down

Also Eloise Worledge (about my age) disappearing from her bedroom one night - presumed kidnapped. Never found!

IRA bombings - including Mountbatten being killed

Elvis's death - although I only remember this because I knew a girl who had a whole week off school as she was so upset.

Dadwasathome

Vietnam war and the related conflicts. There was bloody footage on the news every night. Even at primary school I was concerned about turning 18 and burning conscripted.

Jane Jetson

Rather timely, but I really vividly remember the coverage of the Luna Park Ghost Train fire in 1979. We'd been there the year earlier, I'd had a ball and enjoyed the Ghost Train (I kinda vaguely remember it), and I was really upset by the news - my parents mercilessly subjected us to TV news at dinner every night so I'd seen lots of bombings and stuff, but this was what gave me nightmares. I'd have been six at the time.

I also remember being allowed to stay up to watch the Di/Charles wedding (which bored me but hey, I got to stay up late). All sorts of stuff on BTN. The Chamberlain case as it happened. Lots and lots of family hatred for Malcolm Fraser (who turned out all right in the end!) America's Cup, Hawkey doing Hawkey things, etc etc. Challenger. Strangely, I only vaguely remember the Berlin Wall, but I do remember criticism of the 1988 celebrations and rather siding against my parents with the critics, given we did sort of invade the place.

Edit: Oh yes, Granville! It's where my grandma worked, so I was dead worried about her that day. Nowhere near the station at the time, thank goodness.

squeekums-the-elf

911 -. I remember waking up thinking I had dreamt it, until I turned the tv on. I must have heard it over night on the radio I left on when I slept

Bodies in the barrels - twisted as fuck yet fascinating

Cathy Freeman - watched it at school too. To be honest, all I thought at time was yay no book work, we get to watch sport

AFL was big in our house as my parents were mad supporters of the crows so them going back to back premiers was hugein our house

Also big due to my parents hate of them, Port entering the AFL,biggest travesty to enter my dad's footy world, well that and me being a Port supporter, not crows or Glenelg.

I remember the Samantha Knight case vividly as she was a similar age to me.

Other than that the big ones I can think of were Charles and Di's wedding and the Challenger disaster. I remember the America's Cup win through watching BTN at school.

Seayork2002

I remember the Samantha Knight case vividly as she was a similar age to me.

Other than that the big ones I can think of were Charles and Di's wedding and the Challenger disaster. I remember the America's Cup win through watching BTN at school.

My cousin went to school with samantha knight it was weird back then in our area

Seayork2002

I think my mum had some tradies over when Dean Lukin did his weight lifting big event and I think I was off school early for it

Inkogneatoh

I was too young to remember Charles and Diana's wedding, but do remember Andrew and Fergie's as it was on both the channels at the same time.

It was around the same time that I also remember being allowed to watch the news that covered a major accident a friend of mine was in. She survived, but lost her mother, brother and stepfather. I remember it for several reason, one being it was the first time the news was something that effected me and that introduced the concept that the news was real things happening to real people. Another was it was my first interaction to "human" death (I grew up on a farm and was well versed in the idea of animals dying to be food).

For reasons that may seem clear, I've never really being into watching the news. So little bits and pieces are there, but there is probably more I should be aware of.

I remember when Princess Diana died because I went into my mum and told her.

I also remember 9/11.

We grew up watching the 6pm news and knowing what was going on i the world. If we didn't know or understand something, mum and dad would explain it to us.

I can remember watching the news of The Beatles arriving in Australia (1964). We had just moved to Sydney and were staying with my Grandma who had a tv which was an absolute revelation for 4yr old me.

I can remember watching President Johnson's visit to Australia, Harold Holt's disappearance ,and the Vietnam war marches (although I had no idea at the time where Vietnam was).

My family would never have considered not having the 6pm news on and watching it - everything in the house had to be sorted out and was worked around the news.

Seems like most of my news memories start around 1996. I remember:

-The Gracetown cliff collapse in WA

-Port Arthur

-When Pauline Hanson became a hot topic

-Sarah Spiers going missing. I remember reading her poster every day on the school bus.

-Diana's death

I have a pretty bad memory from childhood but definitely remember the Challenger explosion. I was 6 and got to watch it on telly, I was so excited and then so incredibly sad. I was such a sensitive kid and couldn't stand thinking about people dying and then I just had to watch people dying.

Diana's death - happened on my mother's birthday and she cried the entire day. We're British and she adored Di.

Not really childhood but I was 20 years old and living in New York during 9/11. I remember being in class at uni and hearing the second tower got struck and realising this was an attack not an accident. I watched that same tower collapse not long after, something I can never unsee. I walked about 4kms home that day along New York streets, ambulances and police alarms going non-stop, fighter jets constantly passing overhead. Most terrifying day of my life.

Sancti-claws

The Granville Rail Disaster

The Dismissal

The Berlin Wall coming down

Also Eloise Worledge (about my age) disappearing from her bedroom one night - presumed kidnapped. Never found!

IRA bombings - including Mountbatten being killed

Elvis's death - although I only remember this because I knew a girl who had a whole week off school as she was so upset.

All of these - we were driving to kindy when the Granville Rail Disaster happened - the song Mandy was big at the time, and it was interrupted with breaking news.

We got the afternoon off school when The Dismissal happened.

I was at uni when the wall came down.

Mountbatten being killed really brought it home to me, but the Troubles were often on the news. (I remember Bobby Sands too)

Our corner store burned down the day that Elvis died. Coincidence?

I remember also:

The troops being withdrawn from the Viet Nam war

Discovering the Pol Pot atrocities

The eruption of Mt St Helen

Advertisement