IGNORED

'The women's budget' - Budget 2021

Ozgirl

So what are our thoughts?

classic - at least the are doing SOMETHING, but is it enough ... but we should be greatful anyway.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Anne Bonny

• Ozgirl

• Bethlehem

• Spidey_Senses

Top Posters In This Topic

Purpleblaze

Is this the patriarchy giving us crumbs because we yelled a bit? It's a vote buying move. No real desire from this mob to effect real change. Yes they are doing SOMETHING but I in no way believe it will be the start of real change.

Oh and let's not forget that whatever they announce probably won't come to fruition anyway. Just makes me think that every other budget was unofficially "The men's budget". For anything to target women you have to put a W or the word "woman" in it to make it explicit. The default is always "men".

They’ve looked around and thought “the womenfolk seem to have left the kitchen and gotten their knickers in a twist about something, we should throw them some crumbs”. That’s what I think.

LemonMyrtle

Is it all released yet? I haven’t seen anything that affects me much, positively or negatively. It’s all freeways and dodgy childcare rebate increases that won’t even start until next year (and my kids are out of childcare anyway) so haven’t seen much else of substance.

Sounds like they will continue telehealth for a while, which is very handy for minor illnesses.

We will make a major women’s health program - funding for 4 years. But it’s only $6 and a bit for ever female in Australia. Or $8 and a bit of you say over 15 years.

Just ignore how many cuts we’ve done. We are giving you a cuppa a year!!

We will make a major women’s health program - funding for 4 years. But it’s only $6 and a bit for ever female in Australia. Or $8 and a bit of you say over 15 years.

Just ignore how many cuts we’ve done. We are giving you a cuppa a year!!

Or a whole pack of Panadol. Don’t overdo it!

nom_de_plume

How about they start refunding all the women's shelters they defunded over the years.

Oh but they're giving $680m for domestic violence prevention /end sarcasm font

I wouldn’t want to bet that we’ll actually GET any of it, mind. It all sounds like a classic LNP promise where they’ll talk the talk, it get very quiet when it comes to handing over the dosh.

The single parent mortgage guarantee thing, is too small to have much of an effect, ends up inflating house prices anyways

Jane Jetson

Pfft, what are they going to do, subsidise aprons and baking pans? Tax breaks for men with stay-at-home wives maybe? Bring back the old-school formulation of Bex and give us an extra tea ration?

While the childcare stuff looks interesting, it does appear to be the usual capitalist sop instead of a genuine attempt to make change (which would involve treating childcare as education, not a Wimmen's Issue solved by throwing money at corporations rather than end users).

We'll see.

Spidey_Senses

Im happy to hear about childcare subsidies increasing BUT concerned that the prices will rise and the families who dont qualify for the susidy could end up worse off overall.

Jane Jetson

That's an excellent article.

There were several bits that simultaneously cracked me up and pissed me off, but the best was this:

The $1.7 billion childcare package... which is customarily and incorrectly depicted as women's business, as if women grew babies all by themselves in jars like kombucha scobies without the involvement of men.

This. So much this!

Anne Bonny

It's not just making women the sole people responsible for childcare. Structurally it will make things worse for those with one child or who come through in the future and want a family.

Time out of the workforce is one of the biggest drivers of women's earnings being lesser than their male counterparts. Childcare cost is one of the biggest things currently stopping women from being able to return to work after starting a family.

So under the new policy childcare costs will go up to meet the market with the new subsudy. What that will mean for women considering having children is now they will need to stay home until after the second is born in order to be able to afford to return to work. So the policy will only work for women who already have two or more but worse for every single woman who hasn't already had 2

So on the surface it looks yay, they listened to women on childcare. Then made it worse overall but especially into the future.

Fruitmincepies

[mention]Anne Bonny[/mention] I read it slightly differently - the increased subsidy is for the second child in care only. So what it’s really going to promote is having babies close together, as as soon as the oldest goes to school, the rebate will drop back for the kid in care.

Anne Bonny

Geez. You're right. It's actually a little worse even. So it can't be used for before and after school care either?

Princess Peach

Geez. You're right. It's actually a little worse even. So it can't be used for before and after school care either?

Not that I can find, which still doesn’t help because as I have learnt on here, some providers are no cheaper than long daycare centres.

Spidey_Senses

It's not just making women the sole people responsible for childcare. Structurally it will make things worse for those with one child or who come through in the future and want a family.

Also for those of us who have one child in childcare, and older kids in OSCH. The childcare cost will go up but the subsidies for us wont.

Advertisement