IGNORED

Preferred Pronouns and more

Bad Cat
Bad Cat

in Politics & Social Issues

The White House contact form now has preferred pronouns. Including they/them and other.

Lyle Shelton is not happy. I dare say lots of other people are not happy either, but I'm pretty fucking happy about it.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/

Edit: Name of thread changed as the subject matter has varied considerably.

Edited by Bad Cat

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bad Cat

• marple

• Ozgirl

• Mooguru

Top Posters In This Topic

I applied for a government job the other day and it didn't offer me pronoun options. It's really not good enough. But I don't expect it to change under the current government.

Just checked Aus Parliament contact form. No pronoun options. Titles are Mr, Mrs, Ms, Dr, Not Disclosed. Mx would be nice addition.

Or they could ditch the titles altogether. Or put them as purely optional.

Imagine if our government was forward thinking enough that they didn't require a gender identifier for a child who can't yet even speak. Not that a 17yo can't speak, but we're out here tagging gender from the start.

Which reminds me, I saw a brilliant gender reveal party the other day. For a 17 year old. The mum was all like "Well I got it wrong the first time...".

I was sorting out DS1’s tax file number earlier this week, and they only had Master or Miss for under 18s. Very disappointing.

On this...

About 20yrs ago I was forced to be a Ms, because apparently only children could be Miss.

This was by an airline.

Back when Ms had the connotations of an uppity notion

If women have to have multiple thing to choose from at least let us choose!

That's wild. Gender based titles are outdated and unnecessary.

White House contact page has Mr, Ms, Mrs, Dr, Mx, Other (please specify), None. Not even a Miss option, lol. I think the Mrs option will have to die a natural death though.

Captain Tightpants

I was sorting out DS1’s tax file number earlier this week, and they only had Master or Miss for under 18s. Very disappointing.

That is very strange. My 14yo daughters applied for theirs and were able to choose Ms... I actually just checked their letter advising of the TFN and it definitely says Ms!

I stopped using Mrs while I was still married. It pissed me off that tradies and salespeople would ask to speak to my husband as though I was incapable of making a decision.

I've also largely stopped using a gender identifier wherever possible. None of their damn business in most cases.

Might depend what site you used. If you go direct through ATO website you should be able use Ms. But there are other sites that you can apply through and they may not offer it for under 18s. Usually sites like that charge a fee though.

The ATO definitely has options for those under 18

They can even choose Rev or Prof.

https://i.imgur.com/w99xMp4.png' alt='IMGUR>'>

The White House contact form now has preferred pronouns. Including they/them and other.

Lyle Shelton is not happy. I dare say lots of other people are not happy either, but I'm pretty fucking happy about it.

Lyle is going to be even more unhappy when he reads the Executive Order

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2021/01/20/executive-order-preventing-and-combating-discrimination-on-basis-of-gender-identity-or-sexual-orientation/

VeritasVinumArte

I prefer not to use Titles. My name is my name, no need for a Title unless it actually represented something (Like Duchess of Chaos where I lived in a big castle).

Stuffed Olive

I have always used my own name, but it seems that folks just can't help themselves.

Some of the more prissy English friends insist on writing to and referring to us as Mr and Mrs, even though they know I have never called myself Mrs.

I go to appointments and they call for "Mrs Olive?" and I sit there wondering when I turned into my mother.

Even sillier, my husband gets called Mr Olive, not that he cares, his surname is trickier than mine!

I don't suppose the contents of Lyle Shelton's had will make much mess..

Lyle is going to be even more unhappy when he reads the Executive Order

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2021/01/20/executive-order-preventing-and-combating-discrimination-on-basis-of-gender-identity-or-sexual-orientation/

Oh this is brilliant. I wish Australia had a Joe instead of a Scott.

The comparison between that Exec Order and our Religious Discrimination Bill is stark and appalling.

Lucrezia Borgia
My published work regarding bees uses Mr.

How did that come about?

I didn't know publications even used titles.

I write under an assumed name as Mr X Lastname for a couple of private magazines. Agribusiness is very conservative and tends to insist on titles.

really, wow. i would never cosy up to conservatives like that - I’d find a different agribusiness magazine to publish my articles.

Just checked Aus Parliament contact form. No pronoun options. Titles are Mr, Mrs, Ms, Dr, Not Disclosed. Mx would be nice addition.

Or they could ditch the titles altogether. Or put them as purely optional.

We had a communication (APS) some years ago now from the attorney general that standard gov mail should be addressed to names only - no longer using Mr, Ms etc. It will just be dear John and addressed to John Smith.

So forms should not be asking for an honorific. Some systems and forms have not been updated.

Advertisement