IGNORED

Margaret Court sullying honours list

Bad Cat
Bad Cat

in Politics & Social Issues

So it's rumoured, or perhaps confirmed now, that Margaret Court will be getting a bump up from OAM to AM (or is the other way around? I don't really care) in the Australia Day honours list.

There's a lot of pushback, as I would hope. And there's a lot of talk about how if "I had a medal I'd give it back because I don't want to be lumped in with the likes of her and Bettina Arndt etc".

Well, a Canberra doctor has stepped up and handed hers back in protest at Court getting another one. She's handed hers back saying the decision promotes discrimination towards LGBTQ+ people. The doctor is noted for her work with the LGBTQ+ community and with HIV patients. The doctors herself is a member of that community.

I think she's right. The awards may once have been relevant and an actual honour, but now they are as much prizes for supporters as awards for deeds. Well done Dr Clara Tuck Meng Soo.

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/7097310/doctor-hands-back-medal-over-court-honour/

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bad Cat

• Bethlehem

• WaitForMe

• LunaFreya

Top Posters In This Topic

What a fabulous gesture. The list favours old white men (gigantic surprise) and while Court may have “deserved” her first honour for services to tennis (maybe? I’m not big on sporting identifies being honoured for just doing their job...) increasing that is surely just baiting the public at this point. It feels Morrison and his religious cronies taking care of their mates. Yuck.

Great article here, too, from The Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jan/24/in-honouring-those-who-are-prejudiced-the-australia-day-awards-perpetuate-bigotry

'In honouring those who are prejudiced, the Australia Day awards perpetuate bigotry.'

Written from an anthropological perspective, which I found interesting.

ETA: Claiming she has a right to her views is a bit disingenuous. No one disputes her right to her views, we dispute them being rewarded.

The 'free speech' crowd are hypocritical- Court has free speech to spew her disguisting bile, yet her critics apparently shouldn't.

Hypocritical and stupid. They should add “free speech in Australia” to the school curriculum.

I was so impressed by Dr Clara Tuck's stance. I hope others follow suit.

The whole 'Australia Day Awards' concept needs an overhaul - not least of which it needs to be disassociated with Australia Day (and Australia Day should be moved to another date, probably Federation Day).

Clearly (to me at least) elevating Margaret Court to a higher award is this government trolling us. They can honestly get fucked.

After Tony Abbot was awarded the same level of honour for his ‘service to indigenous communities’ I figured those awards were pointless and political tripe. The Margaret Court news is just more proof of out of touch panels for,ing mutual appreciation societies at the community’s cost.

Twittersphere is also saying that it was 'leaked' by Scummos lot to cover up a couple of other shitty things he has been doing

How dare she complain of being bullied

Dan Andrews has been very forthright in his views on this, which has been heartening given his usual reticence to comment on federal issues.

He was furious when it was brought up at his press conference the other day. He was actually turning red. I appreciated his Facebook post on it too.

I think Margaret is being greedy accepting this honour. I think she's had enough in her lifetime, there are people who deserve it more.

She is a dried up old prune of a person who believes her 'freedom of speech' does not come with a side of responsibility to not hurt people.

Here’s the thing. She had already been honoured for her sporting achievements. To be upgraded for “eminent achievement and merit of the highest degree in service to Australia or humanity at large.” Is taking the piss.

The current council has a country liberal party Northern Territory chief minister and seven community reps. They all predate Morrison. They send recommendations to the Governor General. The current gg is coming out very much saying he is in favour of reform. Yet can he deny or send back the list provided or is it just not the done thing?

It’s so ridiculously out balanced in favour of wealthy white men. https://www.smh.com.au/national/want-an-order-of-australia-it-helps-to-be-rich-powerful-and-male-20201123-p56h13.html

I may have missed this, but what more has she done since her last honour for services to tennis, apart from being an ageing white person from a politically well connected family?

Chocolate Addict

What has she done to deserve it? Playing tennis a decade ago? It was her job, I hate sports people being put up on pedestals, no matter the sport or their beliefs.

Does Jane that works 10 hour days in a hot factory for minimum wage get an award for her dedication to her job? No, but she probably should.

This person is a bitter old woman and shouldn't be getting any award.

nd merit of the highest degree in service to Australia or humanity at large

She has already been awarded for her tennis success but how does she satisfy the above. She has given negative service to those she does not like. She may have done some charity work but only to those she believes deserves it and she has been mean and nasty to those she does not agree with. Service to humanity at large?

Edited by Lesley225

I was so impressed by Dr Clara Tuck's stance. I hope others follow suit.

The whole 'Australia Day Awards' concept needs an overhaul - not least of which it needs to be disassociated with Australia Day (and Australia Day should be moved to another date, probably Federation Day).

Clearly (to me at least) elevating Margaret Court to a higher award is this government trolling us. They can honestly get fucked.

I truly think that it is a trolling gesture

(edited to clarify - MC getting the award, not Dr Tuck's stance.)

Stuffed Olive

After Tony Abbot was awarded the same level of honour for his ‘service to indigenous communities’ I figured those awards were pointless and political tripe. The Margaret Court news is just more proof of out of touch panels for,ing mutual appreciation societies at the community’s cost.

Especially after the all the controversy about whether Tennis Australia should honour her at the Australian Open a couple of years ago.

I reckon it's deliberate, the panel members surely can't be so out of touch.

"Not too flash Australia day" and the associated awards are such an embarrassment.

They clearly wanted a re-run of the choice of Bettina Arndt last year. "Hey, we're choosing women, we're enlightened, right? Oh, look, it's another example of cancel culture, blah de blah blah"

No, it's another example of privileged people feeling that having the microphone and the applause is their natural godamned birthright. They're making a strong case for Australia Day being the most irrelevant expensive waste of sheep on the planet

YodaTheWrinkledOne

I may have missed this, but what more has she done since her last honour for services to tennis, apart from being an ageing white person from a politically well connected family?

Yes, I would like to know as well. I am fairly sure her bigoted prejudiced public comments have negated every "good" deed she has betstowed in the last 10, 20 years. By her deliberate choice of action. Her recent action do not demonstrate awareness or acceptance of Australian society, it demonstrates her inability to change with the times.

A Canberra Dr is returning her OAM in protest.

That is what the linked article in the original post is about

My apologies, brain in neutral today LOL

Advertisement