IGNORED

Change the Date

Pooks

It’s not that hard, just change it.

I think “last Monday in January” works. It doesn’t need to be on an particular date. The time of year is what people like about the current date. They don’t want to lose the BBQ (side-eyes Melbourne’s weather).

Thoughts?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bad Cat

• Kallie

• lazycritter

• WaitForMe

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont care either way. Change it, keep it, just stop talking about it. So tired of the news articles every year beating on about the same things. As long as I get a day off work, preferably in the warmer weather, I couldn't care less.

I dont care either way. Change it, keep it, just stop talking about it. So tired of the news articles every year beating on about the same things. As long as I get a day off work, preferably in the warmer weather, I couldn't care less.

This is exactly why I don't buy the arguments about keeping the date. Nobody gives a shit about oz day, just the day off. (Not picking on you at all Vitsyra, just using your post to illustrate the point.)

Change the date. Time to get it done.

squeekums-the-elf

Agree completely

Yep, change the date. Majority of the people do not care what day it is as long as it is still a public holiday.

It is such a daft discussion every year and all it does is bring out the racist in people.

Why would you leave it on that date? How can you justify celebrating the country and causing distress to a section of the community. The people who originally owned the land.

I'm pro change the date and think that really there's only a very small portion of the population that are anti, with most people not really gaf. It's not like anyone's calling for getting rid of it entirely, just doing it on a less offensive date. And when the Simpsons has been going longer than that date... like really... not that big a tradition either. We can change a word in the national anthem if we feel like it but not a public holiday date?

But but you know, when those 12 ships turned up in Sydney, it wasn't a particularly flash day for the people on those vessels either :roll:

How the hell can we get anywhere with a wanker who says that in charge.

Apparently only 29% of the population worries about it!

Change the date!

That's a bit much. Im not dead inside, but the date has no relevance to me personally, so yes Im indifferent to changing it. Would it be better if I opposed changing it instead?

I can't understand how people can be indifferent about the date. How are they comfortable knowing that the 26th is a day of mourning for some people?

I guess if it doesn't affect them personally, they just don't care. It must be nice to be dead inside.

I agree completely with this - how can anyone be okay with celebrating a day that is the anniversary of what amounts to the death of their culture as they knew it??

The gall of this is insane!

Why are people so indifferent to the feelings and lived experience of others - let alone those whose culture is the longest living continuous culture in the world??

I was born here so I am a “real Australian” but I know that I do not have any claim over these ancient lands.

I get so angry at the callousness and need to find ways to help (I have mobility issues so the protests were out because I cannot walk).

Do any of the brilliant eb-ers have ideas?

I give what monetary support that I can but it’s not enough and I want to do more.

I don't like the idea of doing it on the last Monday in January. It's going to fall on the 26th sometimes. That's a problem. Move it elsewhere.

Maybe the first Monday in Feb or something, no chance of it landing on the 26th jan then but still right time of year

I don't like the idea of doing it on the last Monday in January. It's going to fall on the 26th sometimes. That's a problem. Move it elsewhere.

Maybe the first Monday in Feb or something, no chance of it landing on the 26th jan then but still right time of year

Yep first Monday in Feb gets my vote. Still prime summer weather and it could do with being slightly further from Christmas/New Years anyway.

Agreed.

Make the first part of the day a solemn acknowledgement of the injustices perpetrated against our indigenous people, and then people still have the rest of the day to celebrate what they love about Australia. It doesn't have to be an either/or thing.

So kind of like "sorry we killed so many of you and stole your land..... now let's eat lamb and get pissed"? No, I think it MUST be an either or thing.

Actually I think they should keep the 26th as invasion day and give it the same reverence as anzac or remembrance day to reflect on the atrocities done to our first Australians and to actually focus on moving forward in bettering the treatment of indigenous Australians today

Actually I think they should keep the 26th as invasion day and give it the same reverence as anzac or remembrance day to reflect on the atrocities done to our first Australians and to actually focus on moving forward in bettering the treatment of indigenous Australians today

If that's what Indigenous Australians want, then yes, I'd support that. Not a holiday though. More like Remembrance Day.

Make the first part of the day a solemn acknowledgement of the injustices perpetrated against our indigenous people, and then people still have the rest of the day to celebrate what they love about Australia. It doesn't have to be an either/or thing.

I don't know about celebrating at all on January 26, really. I've nothing against the public holiday side of things, but if you must keep it, make it like some of the religious holidays (Good Friday?) used to be, and Anzac Day, before it became a celebration of jingoism. Quiet day of reflection, with all the shops and pubs shut.

Then we could also have Australia Day during August or September, in the great public holiday drought of the second half of the year. Surely there's the anniversary of something interesting round then?

Definitely in favour of changing the day, but I do think we need two public holiday dates- one as a day of remembrance of this remarkable Indigenous culture and to be solemnly aware of how the Indigenous people have gone through such atrocities.

Another day to look toward the future, a day of celebrating this wonderful land.

Advertisement