IGNORED

50 years ago: Phyllis Papps and Francesca Curtis

Darryl

In 1970, lesbian couple Francesca Curtis and Phyllis Papps bravely broke ground by coming out and speaking about their relationship on Australian TV.

The two pioneering activists appeared on ABC current affairs program This Day Tonight in October that year. After the same-sex marriage postal survey, the ABC revisited the two women and they reflected on the interview and their lives at the time.

Phyllis and Francesca started the political gay rights organisation the Daughters of Bilitis, later renamed the Australasian Lesbian Movement.

https://qnews.com.au/fifty-years-ago-lesbian-couple-phyllis-and-francesca-came-out-on-aussie-tv/

ABC Rewind episode: https://iview.abc.net.au/video/AC1726H006S00

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Darryl

• Babetty

• Jane Jetson

• Kiwi Bicycle

Top Posters In This Topic

Jane Jetson

Thank you so much for that - bookmarked for when a certain child of mine might be interested in the history of her people!

(Is it wrong of me to be slightly fixated on how insanely stylish those two were in 1970?)

On a semi-tangent, DD asked what lesbian means, so I explained. She looked _really_ confused and she said what's a peanut? Turns out she meant legume!

On a semi-tangent, DD asked what lesbian means, so I explained. She looked _really_ confused and she said what's a peanut? Turns out she meant legume!

I was taxi driver for a couple of 8 year old a while back and the discussion from the backseat went from getting married (they didn't want to) to maybe they'd like to marry a girl. My DD said 'they're called lesbians' to which the other girl corrected (in an Irish accent) that 'it's actually pronounced Lebanese'... And so they were called for the rest of the car trip LOL.

Advertisement