IGNORED

Single use plastic ban

Lees75

I wish that this would extend to those umbrella bags that I am suddenly seeing everywhere.

I wasn't allowed in Big W last week without putting my (wet) umbrella in one. They had someone at the door handing them out and refusing entry to anyone who refused.

Time in Big W = 5 mins.

Useful life of bag - 7 minutes - it ripped so I couldn't reuse.

Given the plastic bag ban at checkouts, I'm surprised these bags are allowed.

Well dripping umbrellas cause a slipping risk - wet floors. A mat can be placed across entry for drying people shoes

Dont want wet umbrellas dripping on stock and thats fair

I get that. However I don't think that issuing people with single use plastic bags is the answer. Those bags only became a thing 2 years or so ago and we survived perfectly well without them until that point.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• squeekums-the-elf

• Bornagirl

• Ozgirl

• Feebi

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately we also have a gazillion coles plastic carry bags, due to doing groceries online during the worst of covid in Vic. They are STILL only allowing their own plastic bags for click & collect, so I won't do it.

crap is that a covid thing? Woolies do crate now.

squeekums-the-elf

I wish that this would extend to those umbrella bags that I am suddenly seeing everywhere.

I wasn't allowed in Big W last week without putting my (wet) umbrella in one. They had someone at the door handing them out and refusing entry to anyone who refused.

Time in Big W = 5 mins.

Useful life of bag - 7 minutes - it ripped so I couldn't reuse.

Given the plastic bag ban at checkouts, I'm surprised these bags are allowed.

Well dripping umbrellas cause a slipping risk - wet floors. A mat can be placed across entry for drying people shoes

I get that. However I don't think that issuing people with single use plastic bags is the answer. Those bags only became a thing 2 years or so ago and we survived perfectly well without them until that point.

And people more sue happy now, so it makes sense shops covering their ass where they can

many wouldnt trust a communal umbrella storage basket, how many would go missing?

Unfortunately we also have a gazillion coles plastic carry bags, due to doing groceries online during the worst of covid in Vic. They are STILL only allowing their own plastic bags for click & collect, so I won't do it.

crap is that a covid thing? Woolies do crate now.

Yes, stupid, woolworths have been back to no bags for yonks.

I'm surprised there's not more outrage over it - seems to be a Vic thing too, because I've seen people from other states say they don't get bags.

I've tried online to do what they say: 'find a store nearby where 'no bags' is available' and there's nothing within a half hour drive.

And people more sue happy now, so it makes sense shops covering their ass where they can

many wouldnt trust a communal umbrella storage basket, how many would go missing?

If Big W were concerned about being sued if someone slipped on a couple of drops of water, plus are happy to employ someone to stand at the entrance to the day hand out single use plastic bags that they have paid for, it would be cheaper for them to issue said person with a mop and pay them to mop up the water drips as people enter the store.

They were handing them out to everyone who was carrying an umbrella regardless of whether or not said umbrellas were dripping. I was actually quite disgusted by it (given the ban on single use plastic bags).

Also, I'm in a really foul mood today, one of my children has disappointed me than I ever thought was possible, so I'm more irritated by everything than I normally would be.

Advertisement