IGNORED

Single use plastic ban

Lees75

Phase 1 of the single use plastic ban starts tomorrow in SA, with all plastic straws, stirrers, and cutlery banned.

I gave the kids metal straws in their stockings at Christmas, so we have been getting used to those. Just need to remember to keep some in the car at all times, as I hate the paper straws. I asked for no straws in the drive thru at KFC a few weeks ago, and ended up with no sauce-lol!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• squeekums-the-elf

• Bornagirl

• Ozgirl

• Feebi

Top Posters In This Topic

squeekums-the-elf

Everyone who has come through work is so annoyed at idea and paper straws

I've stockpiled plastic and will buy some off eBay lol

Don't like metal ones, don't like silicone ones, especially for milky drinks, paper is just shit

I'm like totes not fussy

Gunna be a headfuck at work tonight making sure it all gone

The paper straw has a plastic lining which means you cant recycle them at all, many plastic ones could actually be recycled they just didn't, so really what are they trying to achieve with this?

squeekums-the-elf

Try mixing coffee with one of them poxy sticks, I have 4 just to get width of a spoon

*considers swiping the Milo ice cream spoons from work tonight*

I'm saving them from landfill lol

I hate paper straws, so much.

However we do Clean up Australia day every year, and the amount of plastic straws we pick up out of the waterways is terrible. So I'm more than willing to look at alternatives.

I didn't know SA was doing this. What a great idea.

The paper straw has a plastic lining which means you cant recycle them at all, many plastic ones could actually be recycled they just didn't, so really what are they trying to achieve with this?

Not all of the paper straws have paper lining. And even if they do, they still decompose a crap load faster than plastic straws, which take 200 years.

And it means, hopefully, a lot of people will use their own reusable straws.

[mention]amdirel[/mention] , XH bought himself and DD14 matching bracelets made from plastic straws taken out of the ocean. A daily reminder to just all do our part!

I can’t remember the last time I used a straw. Aside from someone with a disability who can’t, why not just drink out of the cup?

VictorineTheCatLover

I have my own set that has knife, fork, spoon, chopsticks, straw and straw brush. Comes in a zip up neoprene case and lives in my handbag.

squeekums-the-elf

I can’t remember the last time I used a straw. Aside from someone with a disability who can’t, why not just drink out of the cup?

To avoid the spots in my teeth that cause great pain with hot and cold

I bought a reusable cutlery set in a cute container from Biome. I have a stainless steel set for work, with cutlery and a straw in a metal tin, and I have a bamboo set for my handbag. At home I have silicon and metal straws. I like the idea, but like the plastic bag ban it will take sometime to get it right. But it a step in the right direction.

Hills Mum Bec

I think it's fantastic and I'm so proud to live in a state that is committed to stuff like this. I'm not really a straw user, would prefer to just drink straight out of a cup anyway.

Aldi have these available from time to time, and each of us has a set to take away with us:

http://offers.kd2.org/en/au/aldi/phaEL/

I've seen these at a few places:

https://www.ioco.com.au/IOco-Wheat-Straw-fibre-eco-reuse-takeaway-Cutlery-Set-Green?gclid=CjwKCAiAp4KCBhB6EiwAxRxbpMxfKh7tUNwa-kLjbggBtdaB8hWwfJ3NA56jRZM4E5ebig5QMJAMUxoCueoQAvD_BwE

Our last trip we got caught a few times and didn't realise where we were eating were going to be using disposable, but we'll get better. We do bring any plastic home, run it through the dishwasher then when we have a big enough bag, the local op shop is happy to take it. At least it gets a second use before landfill.

nom_de_plume

I switched to stainless steel straws years ago and love them.

I have the reusable plastic cutlery set in my bag for work https://sistemaplastics.com/products/to-go/cutlery-set-to-go1 You can buy it at Woolies/Coles.

Check out camping stores as well for compact/portable stainless steel cutlery sets. They're cheaper than the eco friendly branded ones.

Those CROFTON sets are pretty cool @Bornagirl.

If only they had a teaspoon instead of one of the straws.

We've actually moved all the angled straws into the kitchen draw as the damned thing was designed in a way than means it doesn't fold neatly, left in. I agree you don't need two straws.

I hadn't really registered the absence of a teaspoon, which would be pretty relevant for those who have sugar in their takeaway.

Hills Mum Bec

Well after saying I never really use straws I realise that I am going to have to invest in a reusable wide straw for my weekly bubble tea treat. The paper straw that I had with my bubble tea today was just not right.

• 2 weeks later...
Spidey_Senses

I think its fantastic and Im pleasantly suprised to see the Liberals really getting on board with an environmental issue.

It sounds like provisions will be put in place for those who need plastic straws for medical reasons. I am certainly getting on board with reusable products where possible.

I dont think 'fruit boxes' (called poppers in other states) are covered. They may be required to change next year?

• 2 weeks later...

I truly wish this would extend to circular's. I'm sick of receiving magazine and other stuff in plastic coverings.

Likewise.

At least that sort of plastic can go in the 'red bin' at coles or woolworths.

I never know whether it's better to use it as a dog poo bag first, where it ends up in landfill, or put it straight in the red bin plastics and use a compostable poo bag instead.

i tried to do a soft plastic for red bin at my parents. they hated (no idea why) and someone threw it in the main bin. because i hadn't taken it down. it looked full, but soft plastics can squash in a lot.

I wish that this would extend to those umbrella bags that I am suddenly seeing everywhere.

I wasn't allowed in Big W last week without putting my (wet) umbrella in one. They had someone at the door handing them out and refusing entry to anyone who refused.

Time in Big W = 5 mins.

Useful life of bag - 7 minutes - it ripped so I couldn't reuse.

Given the plastic bag ban at checkouts, I'm surprised these bags are allowed.

i tried to do a soft plastic for red bin at my parents. they hated (no idea why) and someone threw it in the main bin. because i hadn't taken it down. it looked full, but soft plastics can squash in a lot.

It's surprised me that it's second to our normal recycling in volume. It does squash down but it's also very spongy. We have four small bins under the sink, landfill, compost, soft plastic and recycling, and a hanging bag for the tissues etc for the council green bin.

Unfortunately we also have a gazillion coles plastic carry bags, due to doing groceries online during the worst of covid in Vic. They are STILL only allowing their own plastic bags for click & collect, so I won't do it.

squeekums-the-elf

I wish that this would extend to those umbrella bags that I am suddenly seeing everywhere.

I wasn't allowed in Big W last week without putting my (wet) umbrella in one. They had someone at the door handing them out and refusing entry to anyone who refused.

Time in Big W = 5 mins.

Useful life of bag - 7 minutes - it ripped so I couldn't reuse.

Given the plastic bag ban at checkouts, I'm surprised these bags are allowed.

Well dripping umbrellas cause a slipping risk - wet floors. A mat can be placed across entry for drying people shoes

Dont want wet umbrellas dripping on stock and thats fair

Advertisement