IGNORED

Where's Dan ?

MaryanneK

My 14 year old daughter fell last September while stage 4 restrictions were still in place. Massive pain pins and needles and numbness in the legs, ambulance to the local country hospital, then 4am transfer up to the children’s.

An MRI confirmed a t7 crush fracture (same as Dan’s) but no rib fractures.

The man must be made of steel if he is coming back to work after 7 weeks. It was 3 months before my daughter was anywhere near normal, and we had to figure out a different drug for pain relief as they were worried about opioid addiction after being on endone for 2 1/2 weeks.

She was also readmitted to hospital 2 weeks after the fall, as she (and I) weren’t coping.

On the plus side, there is far more information about a t7 fracture on the internet now than there was before

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• STBG 2

• TheGreenSheep

• MaryanneK

• Mooguru

Top Posters In This Topic

For what it’s worth, I think because when you break an arm, or break a leg, the normal thing is 6 weeks in plaster, so everyone assumes that a fractured vertebrae should be the same. Difference of course, is that you can’t every really 'rest' a vertebrae properly, as well as the fact that there are so many nerves attaching to every vertebrae causing so much more pain than an ordinary immobilised broken bone.

So I hope Dan is taking it easy, and doesn’t push it too hard when he comes back. I know for my daughter sitting up for any length of time was very painful, so even getting to and from work would be hard.

On our way home from the hospital, I didn’t have any problem getting through the ring of steel, but I did have the sergeant questioning why my daughter was lying down in the car. Apparently illegal, and unsafe. I explained the fractured vertebrae, and was let through, as there was no way she could have sat up for the whole trip home.

TheGreenSheep

It seems Dan has announced a date to return. Back in a fortnight but reduced work level. I hope he is not pushing himself but I am happy he is getting there.

I know my opinion has no impact on his return, but I’d personally prefer he waits to return at full capacity. Healing is enormously fatiguing and if he returns to early it may delay his full recovery. Backs are bastards to heal.

I so agree with you. I understand he will be chomping at the bit though but going from behind the scenes to back in the spotlight will be a shock.

Absolutely! I imagine all sorts of sweaty mess going on under his suit.

RynandStompy

Subsequent tweets here.

Summary : He is up to daily walks of almost an hour. Won't return to work until June. They want to get the recovery right, and also thanked James Merlino and team, also the medical team. And to the OP querying why not enough updates, he said he'll do more in future.

20210418-160212.jpg

TheGreenSheep

Yeah no surprises, Dan is just coping with the enormity of healing his back and the reality of how long these things take. June will come quickly enough, see what he says then about where he is at.

Thanks PPs- Good to see some updates. When I said I hadn't heard much news I meant in mainstream/public media. I don't use Twitter or follow him on Facebook or anything. I just thought the media/updates would be a bit more full on with coverage etc. The media loves to make a story out of nothing, I thought we'd be getting daily news bulletins with "dan Andrews confirms today he'll be off for another three weeks" or whatever. With some breathless speculation about it all. Not saying I want that or think it's good reporting, just that it's more like what I expected.

I read the most hideous things written about Dan on a FB MSM news site that announced he'd be back in June, stuff that I can not believe people could think let alone say in public with their name clearly obvious.

I reported them, they are still there.

Even on Dans Facebook post people are writing horrible things. I don’t understand how people can actually wish someone dead and have their face and name linked to it. I also don’t understand why there is so much hatred towards him. Yes lockdown sucked but my goodness it doesn’t deserve personal attacks like that!

I read the most hideous things written about Dan on a FB MSM news site that announced he'd be back in June, stuff that I can not believe people could think let alone say in public with their name clearly obvious.

5 minutes on those comments pages is enough to make me despair for humanity. Just.plain bloody awful

5 minutes on those comments pages is enough to make me despair for humanity. Just.plain bloody awful

Despair is the right word. Some of these people look like the regular guy next door. I can't believe the sick stuff and all the laughing emojis they get.

Seayork2002

A note for transparency - there has been some editing in this thread so please don’t refer to the removed content, feel free to pm if more details are required, Thank you

Even on Dans Facebook post people are writing horrible things. I don’t understand how people can actually wish someone dead and have their face and name linked to it. I also don’t understand why there is so much hatred towards him. Yes lockdown sucked but my goodness it doesn’t deserve personal attacks like that!

I want to send these people to Brazil, Germany, India ( most of the rest of the world really ) and give them a taste of COVID and what happens when there is no sufficient lockdown and closure of borders.

I want to send these people to Brazil, Germany, India ( most of the rest of the world really ) and give them a taste of COVID and what happens when there is no sufficient lockdown and closure of borders.

This is where my sister now works. She’s basically watching people die and unable to do anything beyond the palliative.

A9-CD694-A-7-DEE-4653-8-BF2-F032-DE553-C60.jpg

My heart goes out to your sister. That has to be torturous. :(

Those poor people.

@Kadoodle where does your sister work? I'm seeing an ad for a home delivery service and I'm guessing that's not right.

A field hospital that’s been set up for Covid victims in Ontario, Canada. It looks like a set from MASH.

It is just so surprising to me that this is happening in Canada. :(

Advertisement