As a guest, you're only seeing half the picture - register now for access to all forums. ×
IGNORED

People flying in and out of Australia while others are apparently stranded.

MB530

nom_de_plume

I’m surprised at companies sending staff overseas - surely the risk assessment would rule it out? DH used to travel overseas for work several times a year, but I don’t think he will travel overseas again for quite a while.

DH was just saying someone from his company is going to have to go overseas at some point. They need to set up an overseas office/warehouse. But the only other people I know who are going "overseas" for work atm are those who work on rigs outside of Australian waters. But the oil companies have incredibly tight procedures for covid, including all staff having to do hotel quarantine before going out (in hotels set up by the company), multiple PCR and blood tests etc etc.

Lots of overseas FIFO work never really shut down. I have a friend who does it and he only really couldn't do it for about the first 3 weeks of stage 4 lockdown in Vic. As soon as the work permit system and contracts were in place for private testing and quarantine they started flying and working again though. They've all had their vaccinations now as well too.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BornToLove

• DaLittleEd

• MB530

• AngelSG

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it depends on your industry and employer. My DH usually has 2-3 international trips a year but his employer has banned all travel. Even getting permission to go interstate right now is almost impossible.

Long term, it will have a huge negative impact to his career. He will lose important relationships and miss opportunities to advance his work. A lot of counterparts in other countries are starting to travel again, it will set back Australia on the world stage if this isn’t sorted out soon.

Just read that the case that lead to the current Perth outbreak went to India for a wedding but managed to get back? How does that work when other people are struggling so much to get back?

Just read that the case that lead to the current Perth outbreak went to India for a wedding but managed to get back? How does that work when other people are struggling so much to get back?

Money. Lots and lots of money. Especially a country like India where bribes and caste system make it easier for some to fly in and out for things like weddings.

It’s also really hard to pack up your entire life and family. Moving overseas isn’t easy in normal times, let alone during a pandemic. It’s hard to sell your house, quit a job, leave everything you worked for, with little cash flow and nothing lined up on the other side- that’s not even considering there’s no guarantee you can even get to your destination.

Kiwi Bicycle

Extended family were on first expedited flight back via quarantine in Darwin, and left again recently to go back. Missionary/church work. With a baby in tow.

DHs sister was in China doing similar and got ordered home to NZ. She and her husband still are chafing to go back. Thankfully they cannot at the moment as China will only take you if you have had a Chinese vax.

And the 2 kids are now setttled in NZ schools too.

Advertisement