IGNORED

Australian Politics

Bethlehem

@LaFoom, unless you've asked the other person if they want you praying for them/with them, then it is still arrogance of the highest order, whether or not you're touching them.

[mention]Tinsel[/mention] so was #PrayForParis arrogance of the highest order?

Is sending thoughts and prayers always arrogance of the highest order?

What level of consent is needed before I can pray for someone?

Serious question here from me, as it is something I have pondered. To me, prayer is primarily about aligning myself with God so that I can go out and do his work, not telling God what is needed. If I speak the words of what is needed, it helps me clarify what I should be doing.

And I realise this is lost on a lot of people in the evangelical movement. It's much easier to pray that someone has a full belly than cook dinner and take it over to them. But to me, that's what prayer should be about - enabling me to see their need is and go and make them dinner.

That's one of the reasons my blood boils on Scomo. He is in a position to do so much to help, and does not.

Now I personally would never say thoughts and prayers because it is an empty phrase used by those who do nothing. But can I not pray for peace in a country because I don't have the permission of the country?

Is a non religious person who 'sends thoughts of peace' to a stranger being arrogant?

BTW, i am aware that there are many 'types' of prayer in the evangelical songbook. Which is why I specified what prayer means to me.

I am aware of intercessory prayer and the standing in the place and fighting in the spiritual realms type prayer. I would never give the name of someone to be prayed for by church members unless I had that person's permission - that has never seemed right to me.

I really do mean this in a spirit of inquiry. If I have been arrogant of the highest order in the past I want to know how and where the line is, so I don't hurt others in my attempt to help.

Well [mention]LaFoom[/mention], as an atheist, I see someone saying to me that they will pray for me, as 'I will do something meaningless to you but it will make me feel better and that's what's important'. You have posted

"To me, prayer is primarily about aligning myself with God so that I can go out and do his work, not telling God what is needed. If I speak the words of what is needed, it helps me clarify what I should be doing."

which reinforces to me that the prayers are for the benefit of the pray-er.

Telling someone that you're thinking of them (I'm assuming when they are facing some difficulty/grief ets) is not the same as telling them that you are praying for them.

I'm sorry, but I don't know what '#PrayForParis' is, was or will be. It is not a term I have seen before. And you're being silly by asking if you need the permission of a country to pray for it. Who cares - knock yourself out. We are talking about someone, face to face praying for another person or saying they will pray for that person.

My (and others) freedom from religion is just as important as your freedom to practise your religion. Your freedom to practice your religion does not extend to practising your religion on others without their consent.

Just ask. If they say no - honour that.

Seeing as the current cases(1 security guard and his 2 housemates, plus 1 other traveller in quarantine) in Perth came from someone returning from the US do you think the Federal government is about to start jailing Australian citizens who attempt to come her from the USA?

Bethlehem

This government is so duplicitous. Why announce the potential gaoling of Australian citizens who return form India- specifically India at midnight. And now deny that the power will be used.

LemonMyrtle

This government is so duplicitous. Why announce the potential gaoling of Australian citizens who return form India- specifically India at midnight. And now deny that the power will be used.

Cause they’re idiots. And now they are back tracking.

I believe they panicked because they new state quarantine couldn’t handle the increased case load, so they blocked India. Of course now they’re realising that that move has highlighted 2 things, 1, that state quarantine isn’t good enough and the feds need to step up, and 2, that they’re a bit racist. And also issue 3. That there is a large vocal population of Australians of Indian descent here, and in India, and *gasp* there are white people stuck in India too, and *double gasp* some of them are cricketers. So they’re trying to back track a bit.

• Like 1

I'm trying to get my head around the fact we can't bring people back from India because our hotel quarantine facilities can't handle the load. So it's now illegal for Australian citizens to come back to their country - so much so that if a group of Australians got onto a boat and sailed here they could potentially be put into the very detention centres that the government has deemed 'not fit' for quarantine, and that I'm sure very many of the people stuck in India would be more than happy to go into if they were given the choice.

Lesley225

Because he thought it would be a great announcement and work well in the press.

It also takes attention away from the appalling mess they’ve made of women’s safety in the workplace....

LemonMyrtle

There is also the depressing fact that they have likely still won more votes than lost, cause half of Australia would gladly block flights from

India, and elsewhere, if given half a chance. On an ongoing basis too. It’s the new “stop the boats”.

Purpleblaze

Oh but wait, the cricketers will soon be on charter flights by the IPL to the Maldives or Sri Lanka. How good is it to be a cricketer???

Stuffed Olive

There is also the depressing fact that they have likely still won more votes than lost, cause half of Australia would gladly block flights from

India, and elsewhere, if given half a chance. On an ongoing basis too. It’s the new “stop the boats”.

Yes, at best- due to the Fed govt being totally out of touch and incompetent. At worst - racist dog whistle. It's increasingly hard to give them the benefit of the doubt these days.

I have a neighbour who was livid at "emperor McGowan" and the nanny state that wouldn't let him fly his family to London (and back) in December for a relative's funeral.

He thinks it's fine that anyone "stupid enough to go to India" should be criminalised for trying to return to Australia.

It's people like this who vote for Scomo.

• Like 1

So Adam Brooks will resign before he takes his seat in the Tasmania Parliament.

He should never have been run, the bloke has pending firearms charges going to court and is accused of having fake IDs to use on dating sites.

But Gutewin still ran him to get the votes in the election.... and decides to deal with it after he has the seats he needed!!

This is what the Liberals think is ok behaviour....

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-14/tasmanian-liberal-adam-brooks-braddon-future/100139460?sf245881109=1&fbclid=IwAR3qZAnPa8WP2eSXFIbH_rxePs3opfb7033d1p_g_YXAbBZltsVLbBwaljU

Anne Bonny

He should never have been run, the bloke has pending firearms charges going to court and is accused of having fake IDs to use on dating sites.

But Gutewin still ran him to get the votes in the election.... and decides to deal with it after he has the seats he needed!!

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-14/tasmanian-liberal-adam-brooks-braddon-future/100139460?sf245881109=1&fbclid=IwAR3qZAnPa8WP2eSXFIbH_rxePs3opfb7033d1p_g_YXAbBZltsVLbBwaljU

In order to morally exuse themselves, what line are they trotting out again?

This predatory behaviour that's actually uncommon amongst people living with mental health conditions gets passed off as mental health driven

Once again contributing to convincing the community that people who live with mental health issues are

a) dangerous predators

or b) using it as a cop out

It's never a dull moment with the Libs. Just who will end up under their campaign bus next? I think they'll have to start recycling us soon.

In order to morally exuse themselves, what line are they trotting out again?

This predatory behaviour that's actually uncommon amongst people living with mental health conditions gets passed off as mental health driven

Once again contributing to convincing the community that people who live with mental health issues are

a) dangerous predators

or b) using it as a cop out

It's never a dull moment with the Libs. Just who will end up under their campaign bus next? I think they'll have to start recycling us soon.

Which diagnosis bingo will he use.

• 2 weeks later...

Porter is claiming this as a victory:

"They regret the outcome of that article. That is a humiliating backdown by the ABC, no matter what way they want to spend it and Sally [Neighbour, Four Corners EP]put out a tweet that she had to remove within seconds of it being placed out publicly because it was false and I think that tells you precisely what you need to know about the sort of journalism we have been dealing with here."

If he's so sure, why not proceed to trial? I am sure there are plenty of skeletons he didn't want dragged out into the light. I hope he has to pay the ABC's legal costs 

• Like 10

Fruitmincepies

Well no enquiry as it was going to court, now no court, so I bet the government is hoping it can now all go away without any further probing. 

• Like 4
  • Angry 1

LemonMyrtle
2 hours ago, Beanette said:

Porter is claiming this as a victory:

"They regret the outcome of that article. That is a humiliating backdown by the ABC, no matter what way they want to spend it and Sally [Neighbour, Four Corners EP]put out a tweet that she had to remove within seconds of it being placed out publicly because it was false and I think that tells you precisely what you need to know about the sort of journalism we have been dealing with here."

If he's so sure, why not proceed to trial? I am sure there are plenty of skeletons he didn't want dragged out into the light. I hope he has to pay the ABC's legal costs 

This was so funny. It’s not a victory Porter, everyone can see you backed down when presented with their evidence. 
He was foolish to take it this far. 

• Like 6

Advertisement