Is “modesty” problematic?

YodaTheWrinkledOne
Subscriber

Awards

marple wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:34 am If its anything like it was when I was there, then yes there were a lot of lovely male teachers, but quite a few that accidentally drop things very regularly
Are you serious???
"Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city." - George Burns

"Setting a good example for children takes all the fun out of middle age." - William Feather
Murderino

Awards

LunaFreya wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:20 am Males that can sexualise underage girls should not be working in a school
There was a comment on the Twitter thread I saw that effectively said if the male teachers are thinking about a 14yo that way then they should be out.
You’re in a cult, call your dad.
marple
Banned

Awards

YodaTheWrinkledOne wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:31 pm
marple wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:34 am If its anything like it was when I was there, then yes there were a lot of lovely male teachers, but quite a few that accidentally drop things very regularly
Are you serious???
Yes, absolutely. We laughed at the worst offender.
Seayork2002

Awards

Team Member

Murderino wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:59 pm
LunaFreya wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:20 am Males that can sexualise underage girls should not be working in a school
There was a comment on the Twitter thread I saw that effectively said if the male teachers are thinking about a 14yo that way then they should be out.
I could say about the school near me 'if the teachers think getting personal with a student is ok they should not be in teaching' but that does not mean the teachers actually think this same as a 'a person who works for the local ANZ bank should not rob it' does not mean they were actually planning on robbing it
🇦🇺 🇬🇷 🇮🇪 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
Murderino

Awards

Sorry what?

The principal intimated with her address that the male teachers would be sexually attracted to the girls because she said their jobs would be compromised by the girls.

So she is in fact suggesting there are male teachers there that would have sexual thoughts about their students - in which case they shouldn’t be teaching. This is not a controversial statement I would think?
Seayork2002

Awards

Team Member

Murderino wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:34 pm Sorry what?

The principal intimated with her address that the male teachers would be sexually attracted to the girls because she said their jobs would be compromised by the girls.

So she is in fact suggesting there are male teachers there that would have sexual thoughts about their students - in which case they shouldn’t be teaching. This is not a controversial statement I would think?
My point is she said that, but did the teachers themselves say that to her first or was it just her decision alone to make the decision.

she said 'their jobs might be compromised' but whose idea was it to say it the principal or the teachers?
🇦🇺 🇬🇷 🇮🇪 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
Murderino

Awards

Well that makes more sense - you are right if she said that with no grounds it is wrong.

Someone else on twitter suggested the males teachers might have recourse for the damage to their reputation caused by her insinuation, I have no idea if that would be true.
Bandwagon

Awards

Every school I’ve been to had a pervy teacher, modesty made no difference.
Seayork2002

Awards

Team Member

marple wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:55 pm
Seayork2002 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:27 pm
Murderino wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:59 pm

I could say about the school near me 'if the teachers think getting personal with a student is ok they should not be in teaching' but that does not mean the teachers actually think this same as a 'a person who works for the local ANZ bank should not rob it' does not mean they were actually planning on robbing it
Seayork - this makes no sense and is irrelevant. WTH?
did the principal decide for the teachers themselves or did the teachers themselves make a point of it to the principal then the principal made her comments from that
🇦🇺 🇬🇷 🇮🇪 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
Lady Sybil Vimes

Awards

Seayork2002 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:57 pm
marple wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:55 pm
Seayork2002 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:27 pm

Seayork - this makes no sense and is irrelevant. WTH?
did the principal decide for the teachers themselves or did the teachers themselves make a point of it to the principal then the principal made her comments from that
Do you mean: did the teachers go to the principal and say they didn’t like the girls clothing or did the principal just assume?

If that’s the question then I don’t think anyone has said either way.
“There was truth and there was untruth, and if you clung to the truth even against the whole world, you were not mad.”
― George Orwell, 1984.
Lady Sybil Vimes

Awards

On reflection though, I’d consider it unlikely that the teachers went to the principal and were like, “Please! The teenage girls! My penis cannot cope with the constant arousal! Help me!”
“There was truth and there was untruth, and if you clung to the truth even against the whole world, you were not mad.”
― George Orwell, 1984.
Kadoodle

Awards

Student or teacher?
Plant a flower, feed a bee.
ALittleBitter

Awards

Kadoodle wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:30 pm
Student or teacher?
It’s a girls school.
Bandwagon

Awards

Student or teacher?
The post you quoted says the teachers?

Are you the school principal blaming the students?
Kadoodle

Awards

ALittleBitter wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:50 pm
Student or teacher?
It’s a girls school.
I mean was @marple a student or a teacher there? There was a teacher at my high school who was notorious, and ended up being removed to an administrative position with the department of education after a girl a couple of years older than me slapped him.
Plant a flower, feed a bee.
Mooguru

Awards

I must say I immediately jumped to that they must have at least one teacher there who the principal has her doubts about. Can't believe she said that with her out loud voice.
caitiri

Awards

When I went to school, many years ago the police came to an assembly which included such gems as. Keep your legs together sitting in the train and don’t wear black bras under your school shirt.

Our school was apparently a huge target for weirdos, many incidents of flashing ect in the parks

I really don’t think we have changed as much as we think we have in relation to views like this
Tinsel

Awards

caitiri wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:18 pm When I went to school, many years ago the police came to an assembly which included such gems as. Keep your legs together sitting in the train and don’t wear black bras under your school shirt.

Our school was apparently a huge target for weirdos, many incidents of flashing ect in the parks

I really don’t think we have changed as much as we think we have in relation to views like this
In the mid 70s when I was in senior high school a new science building was being built. Our female principal called all the seniors into an assembly and told us we had to wear white bras under our white blouses as the builders would think we weren't wearing bras at all if we continued to wear the (back then) newly available flesh/beige coloured bras.
LunaFreya

Awards

That principal at the school, apparently one of my friends said her daughter was put down by this woman because she didn’t get high marks in maths

So maybe there are a few issues about her