IGNORED

Articles for DH to read on feminism

HypnicJerk

Last week DH, while correcting the jumping technique of a female teen, described her action as being unladylike. What he meant to say was "keep your knees straight as you jump".

Today DD was telling us that a boy at school was calling her a nerd. DH dived in with "It probably means he likes you". I cut him off, with death stares and he looked at me stupidly say "what'd I do".

I want to send him articles to reeducate him on how not to be that person. I don't know what even words to use I'm still stumped that he could be so backward.

Anyone got some suggestions for me?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HypnicJerk

• Purpleblaze

• Ozgirl

• seemingly

Top Posters In This Topic

On the old EB forums someone suggested responding with "could you please explain what you mean?" when encountering something they considered baffling.

"Her technique is unladylike." - "Could you please explain what you mean?"

"He probably likes you." - "Could you please explain what you mean?"

"Boys will be boys!" - "Could you please explain what you mean?"

"Girls have more patience than boys." - "Could you please explain what you mean?"

Works with anything!

"You know, *her* type." - "Could you please explain what you mean?"

"You know what they say about blondes." - "Could you please explain what you mean?"

On the old EB forums someone suggested responding with "could you please explain what you mean?" when encountering something they considered baffling.

"Her technique is unladylike." - "Could you please explain what you mean?"

"He probably likes you." - "Could you please explain what you mean?"

"Boys will be boys!" - "Could you please explain what you mean?"

"Girls have more patience than boys." - "Could you please explain what you mean?"

Works with anything!

"You know, *her* type." - "Could you please explain what you mean?"

"You know what they say about blondes." - "Could you please explain what you mean?"

I like this, though I wouldn't be game to say it in front of DD in case he comes out with something worse.

Spray bottle? Squirt him every time he says something sexist.

Yup. Do this.

Would your DH actually read the articles OP? Mine wouldn’t. My only hope is constant constant reminders that what he just said is sexist. And his work place’s diversity training helped a lot.

And he is still sexist. It’s so ingrained in him it will never stop. But at least he doesn’t verbalise it as much these days.

I would challenge it each and every time. It'd be great if she didn't hear her dad say sexist stuff, but realistically she'll hear other men and boys (and in fact all people, other women and girls too) say sexist shit in her life so it's better she hears good comebacks, or good discussion.

"What?! Why would that mean he likes her? Wouldn't he be nice to her if he liked her?"

"Well.... you know what I mean.....he's too shy to say so"

"So it's ok to insult her? She's just supposed to guess? Are girls always supposed to hope boys really like them and don't know how to express themselves when they like a girl? Are they always supposed to do all the work of figuring it out?"

"No of course not"

"What about (boy's name), he can express himself ok. Boys aren't too helpless to say what they mean"

"Yeah yeah no of course they're not"

Spray bottle? Squirt him every time he says something sexist.

Yup. Do this.

Would your DH actually read the articles OP? Mine wouldn’t. My only hope is constant constant reminders that what he just said is sexist. And his work place’s diversity training helped a lot.

And he is still sexist. It’s so ingrained in him it will never stop. But at least he doesn’t verbalise it as much these days.

He would actually. We had a conversation the other day about Benevolent sexism. It was in response to the Abby Chatfiled v Dipper exchange.

I need to show my mum something!

She is obsessed with being presentable when leaving the house.

When my niece and newphew came to stay she was always on at my niece to brush her hair every time we left the house.

And today - we went out together, she actually questioned my choice to leave the house with my bra showing!!!

Advertisement