• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• blue86

• Cherubs

• IamtheMumma

• FloFlo

Top Posters In This Topic

Great topic OP!

American culture openly conflates sexuality with morality — as Jessica Valenti writes in her book, The Cult of Virginity, we are into “idolizing virginity as a stand-in for women’s morality.” Whether or not we have sex and who we have sex with are all that’s valued in regard to women and girls.

https://medium.com/the-establishment/a-quick-and-dirty-history-of-virginity-9ceb24b7e08a

I can not believe I haven’t made this connection, I knew it was ridiculous but this nails it, I can’t wait for my daughter to get home from school, so we can discuss this angle.

LemonMyrtle

we should all "lose our virginity" to ourselves. Self love people, make that special first time be with the most important person in your life, you.

Of course it's a myth just like being a slut is a myth. Never hear about men being called sluts and putting it about do you? People should be allowed to sleep with as little as many people as they like and not be judged for it. Of course I don't mean those who are in committed relationships who choose to have one partner only - unless they want to.

IamtheMumma

Of course it's a myth just like being a slut is a myth. Never hear about men being called sluts and putting it about do you? People should be allowed to sleep with as little as many people as they like and not be judged for it. Of course I don't mean those who are in committed relationships who choose to have one partner only - unless they want to.

Come on, you know that's sowing their wild oats. Its totes different :face_vomiting: I always want to know who they are sowing those oats in...other men? Nope, sluts! So sluts have a purpose but don't bring one home to meet the parents.

VeritasVinumArte

I rewatched 4 Weddings and a Funeral last night. It was refreshing watching Andie McDowell’s character recounting the 30+ People she had slept with.

Come on, you know that's sowing their wild oats. Its totes different :face_vomiting: I always want to know who they are sowing those oats in...other men? Nope, sluts! So sluts have a purpose but don't bring one home to meet the parents.

Women are more often than not labelled as sluts when they've had more than one partner. Doesn't happen with men. If it does, they certainly aren't shamed as often as women are.

IamtheMumma

It’s just so completely illogical that women get slut shamed while men get virgin shamed. Be consistent, shamers.

But that's how religious logic works. Remember witch tests. If she drowned, she was innocent. If she survived, she was a witch and then promptly burnt at the stake.

Of course virginity is a myth. I mean honestly, what other activity gets its own special word for someone who hasn't done it?

Do we have a special word for someone who's never driven a car? Someone who hasn't eaten sushi? Someone who's never swum in the ocean? Of course we don't. It would be utterly ridiculous. As is virginity.

magic_marker

54-A6-E4-F8-68-F8-47-A2-8-BEB-0-B1-CE5-B89-AA8.png

That's hilarious.

Is it just coincidence that your post is number 69 for you? :P

That Eve just ruined it for everyone though, didn't she.

Oh yeah, that book was written by men.

54-A6-E4-F8-68-F8-47-A2-8-BEB-0-B1-CE5-B89-AA8.png

That's hilarious.

Is it just coincidence that your post is number 69 for you? :P

That Eve just ruined it for everyone though, didn't she.

Oh yeah, that book was written by men.

Damn, now I wish I’d made better use of my post 😂

Advertisement