IGNORED

Scotland - Definition of woman will include trans people to increase equality

Ron Swanson

Ron Swanson

I am surprised no one has started a thread on this to acknowledge this week's court decision in Scotland.

In order to increase female representation on public boards, the definition of the term “woman” is to be broadened to include transgender people in legislation.

https://www.scottishtrans.org/trans-equality-charity-welcome-court-of-session-decision-on-transgender-rights/

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/definition-of-woman-will-include-trans-people-to-increase-equality-h62g50swc?fbclid=IwAR1AQ6VWZbb9BYy67CfItj_WpBz1sFByBN4GZmyQRVLhqCot-nh5r_hxFyc

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bad Cat

• Nighthawk

• acidulous osprey

• Hmmmmm

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not at all surprised nobody has gone there.

But for what it's worth, I think it's not a bad thing.

I hope they redefined man to include trans men as well, but since it wouldn't do anything in terms of equal representation of men and women on boards I doubt they bothered. Equality demands it though. They can't have trans women on boards as women and count trans men as women. That's cheating the numbers.

Sentient Puddle

So people who grow up male with all the benefits of male privilege and male life experiences who then choose to identify as women can represent women's interests! I am sure Scottish women are thrilled!

Kiwi Bicycle

I have been looking into the whole trans women/ men thing, And from what I can find, people who transistion in the teens and early twenties and who have lived as from a child as the opposite sex, present better, have less hormone advantage and are more likely to be accepted.

The problem really is with late transitioners, like in their 30s onwards, where hormones have already given sex characteristics and advantage, the person is less likely to " pass" as their sex and often they have lived for a large portion of their life as their birth sex and had those experiences.

I am continuing my research, but so far this seems to be a large part of the controversy .

Quite. And the obvious answer is to accept that teenagers know who they are and allow them to begin the transition process young. But that's a whole battle that's still being fought. Seems churlish to banish late transitioners from woman's spaces because they couldn't get what they needed when they were young because you wouldn't give it to them.

Quite. And the obvious answer is to accept that teenagers know who they are and allow them to begin the transition process young. But that's a whole battle that's still being fought. Seems churlish to banish late transitioners from woman's spaces because they couldn't get what they needed when they were young because you wouldn't give it to them.

My 13yo DS really hasn’t started puberty yet and if he was trans he’d still have some time on his side to mature before he made medical decisions. But many of his friends are already well into puberty. One of his classmates started high school at 12 already 6 foot 2 and muscular. They’d have to have made those decisions before they were teenagers in order to have an impact. There’s a reason we don’t let 10 or 11 year olds make lifelong medical decisions for themselves. They’re not mature enough.

You’re also making a bold assumption that every single trans person knew they were trans AND wanted to make life changing decisions when they were still a child. Surely everyone treads a different path? I’d wager we could allow for medical transitioning before puberty and you’d still have people transitioning in their 20s, 30s and beyond. We need to address the actual issues now rather than treating all decisions as our penitence for not being “better” in the first place.

I'm making no assumptions at all. People who assume those who don't transition until later are somehow unable to represent women are though.

But I know how these threads go. I'm leaving now before it goes there.

Lucrezia Borgia

i agree Kreme, we don’t let 11 year olds drink alcohol, or get tattoos. I can’t fathom how anyone would think it’s a good idea to allow kids to make life altering medical decisions at the age of 10, 11, when the evidence is not strong that it will resolve their dysphoria, and also many will go through puberty and merely come out as same sex attracted (which we shouldn’t “trans away”), or their dysphoria rectifies (so in this instance differentiating this sort of medical treatment from, say, paediatric oncology).

but back to the OP. i don’t think this is the answer to a diversity and equality problem. for example we wouldn’t be allowing white people on corporate boards to simply “identify” as black or being from a CALD background simply to rectify a cultural diversity issue - no matter how strongly that person may empathise with and identify as being from, that cultural background. The issues facing our current LNP federal government is a case in point - the answer is not be found in queer theory.

I was an idiot as a teenager! Teenagers are still figuring themselves out, they are still forming their identities, figuring out how they fit in and their brains are still maturing. I would hate to think that anybody would have allowed me to make such enormous and permanent decisions at that age. Gawd, sets my anxiety off into overdrive thinking about what I would have done, there were enough near misses as it was 😬

I was an idiot as a teenager! Teenagers are still figuring themselves out, they are still forming their identities, figuring out how they fit in and their brains are still maturing. I would hate to think that anybody would have allowed me to make such enormous and permanent decisions at that age. Gawd, sets my anxiety off into overdrive thinking about what I would have done, there were enough near misses as it was 😬

I went through similar, I was pretty messed up due to some childhood stuff and this was something I dwelled on for a while internally. Externally, I put myself in a lot of danger trying to cope. In the end having my son probably saved me. I’m glad there was no internet for me in those days.

acidulous osprey

Oh god this crap again? Period fetishes? "Continuing research". The trans community thanks you for your weird interests in their workings.

Let alone the nonsense that people were 'pretty messed up' so might have transitioned as a teen. None of this works like that. The process to transition is long and arduous and even more so as a teen

Advertisement