Top Posters In This Topic

• Lady Sybil Vimes

• Lucrezia Borgia

• Pink Cherry Blossom

• Ozquoll

Top Posters In This Topic

Lady Sybil Vimes

It's monstrous. This quote:

The campaigner added: “As far back as 2006, UNESCO reported the first cases. This phenomenon is prevalent in many parts of Nigeria and has been previously reported in the states of Abia, Lagos and Ebonyi.

“The ‘baby factories’ are often disguised as orphanages, maternity homes, or religious centres, and involve large networks of operators. There is no doubt that this is a form of sexual exploitation and abuse.

2006! And getting worse since then. This is so distressing.

Pink Cherry Blossom

This is awful.

It horrifies me that there are people in the world who have no qualms about treating other human beings like cattle or items to to be sold for profit.

Lady Sybil Vimes

This Unicef report on Nigeria is sobering: https://www.unicef.org/nigeria/situation-women-and-children-nigeria

Nigeria’s 40 million women of childbearing age (between 15 and 49 years of age) suffer a disproportionally high level of health issues surrounding birth. While the country represents 2.4 per cent of the world’s population, it currently contributes 10 per cent of global deaths for pregnant mothers. Latest figures show a maternal mortality rate of 576 per 100,000 live births, the fourth highest on Earth. Each year approximately 262,000 babies die at birth, the world’s second highest national total. Infant mortality currently stands at 69 per 1,000 live births while for under-fives it rises to 128 per 1,000 live births. More than half of the under-five deaths – 64 per cent – result from malaria, pneumonia or diarrhoea. Investment in this sector has been high in recent years although the proportion of patients able to access appropriate treatment remains low.

I"ve made a donation to Unicef after reading this.

Lucrezia Borgia

just awful. I hope Unicef hasn't fallen victim to the gender fairy though - Amnesty International was posting some questionable stuff recently.

Good to know about unicef. Unfortunately this is world wide to some extent - I was recently reading an article about sex trafficking in Canada and there’s also a horrific case in Brazil.

Gosh, Canada!!

This is terrifying and yet utterly believable. What those women have to go through and then to lose their babies...

This baby farm is not unique and child farming and trafficking I believe is one major reason why Australia allows very few international adoptions.

Good to know about unicef. Unfortunately this is world wide to some extent - I was recently reading an article about sex trafficking in Canada and there’s also a horrific case in Brazil.

Gosh, Canada!!

This is terrifying and yet utterly believable. What those women have to go through and then to lose their babies...

Obviously not on the same scale as in the OP's link, it's a problem here. There have been cases where high school aged girls are luring peers into trafficking rings.

Advertisement