IGNORED

opinions on these nicknames

la di dah

Bethlehem

I just read your post with the full names and you have both my children’s names on there.

I’m still having trouble finding the meaning/ origins of Elliot.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• la di dah

• riotproof

• Ker

• Kiwi Bicycle

Top Posters In This Topic

la di dah

Nerdy me:

I've seen two origins. One is from a Scottish name like Elwold.

The other is mediaeval diminutive of Elias which is itself derived from Elijah. Which is Biblical, from the Hebrew name אֱלִיָּהוּ ('Eliyyahu) meaning "my God is [Jewish spelling of G-d]"

I like Eli, which is it's own name, and Elliot/t. I'm not that keen on Elijah or Eliyyahu. I do like the Hebrew name Elazar but I don't think Aussies would cope with it very well. And the other form of Elazar is Lazarus which has its own baggage.

I like Leo/Leonardo. I also like Leopold, which is the name of a little boy up the road who is a bundle of awesome and probably influencing that!!

Marigold is a cute vintage-but-fun name, although I think you might end up with Mari rather than Goldie?

la di dah

I like both Mari and Goldie. DW's Nan was a Marie and Marigold is a nice nod without being too much so I'm keeping it on the short list.

I'm terrible with names, but just wanted to say congratulations!

We pretty much went with the singular name we could agree on for the oldest child, which pretty much does not have a nickname (but only 2 syllables) and the youngest got my fav boys name growing up, with me having a name blank and not realizing that the diminutive that people tended to use is all the nickname of one of the local pubs. So I had to make sure people realised his nickname is Ro, not Roey.

Hi all. I am a bit up and down and in and out. Today was my eight week ultrasound and it went well so I'm back.

Thanks for bearing with me.

Congratulations!

Advertisement