IGNORED

You think the name is back but some disagree

Gudrun

Examples of this in your experience? Recent thread on Twitter suggested to me that names that were spurned when I was young but I reckon have come back are still spurned by some. Are these (older?) people who just haven't heard the comebacks in action? Or something else?

(PS I was keen to have new Names forum alive :D. Thanks admin for including it)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• YodaTheWrinkledOne

• Gudrun

• Ernegirl

• ReflectiveSky

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ReflectiveSky

Elias, Lincoln and Angus

Hazel, Alice and Florence

are all names that I thought sounded a bit old-fashioned and wouldn't have chosen, but they're in the popular baby name lists

YodaTheWrinkledOne

are all names that I thought sounded a bit old-fashioned and wouldn't have chosen, but they're in the popular baby name lists

agree with this (although I don't mind Alice).

Also Alfred. That one seems to be picking up in popularity again too, not sure why.

ReflectiveSky

I'm wondering if it's because the owners of these names have died before the current batch of parents-to-be were born, so there's no "Oh that's Grandma Hazel's name" or "Grandpa Mortimer's name".

I think it's mostly to do with names losing negative associations over time. Anyone who grew up watching Birds of a Feather (for example) is probably unlikely to name their daughter Sharon but the associations with that name will fade eventually. My mother-in-law was horrified that people were naming babies Ollie (Oliver) because of an association with a character from her own youth. The fact that that was 60 years earlier likely made it pretty irrelevant for people naming their babies today.

Chocolate Addict

How many kids were named Damian after that horror movie was released? lol I think numbers dropped.

Names tend to go through cycles these days, old names are back in fashion. Esme, Olive, Mabel, Fredrick, Alistair etc..

I know a 15yo called Robert, which I find unusual.

I did consider Angus and Oliver for my kids.

I nicknamed my daughter 'Mabel' in utero - it was the name of my Grandmother's sister, whose beautiful photo I have in an amazing frame. (I couldn't stand Bub, junior etc.)

People, even those who'd given their kids 'out there' names, were horrified at the thought we might actually call her that.

I'm old enough to remember when people turned up their noses at William and Harry (especially Harry), and now they're everywhere.

ReflectiveSky

Okay, here's some that I thought might be old-fashioned, but now you never know! I'm starting to feel a bit vintage myself :lol:

Artie

Clifford

Earl

Erwin

Gus

Milton

Orville

Roy

Sherman

Wilbur

Calliope

Doris

Edith

Enid

Harriet

Hattie

Lucille

Lorraine

Minnie

Nora

Octavia

Sadie

Selma

Trudy

Vera

Yes, the 1930s is where the next vintage lies awaiting resurrection. Edwardian /Victorian names will soon be at saturation point, although I do love the flower names for girls. And three flowers I think were sadly overlooked in the rush for Ivy, Rose, Hazel, Violet et al, are Myrtle, Primrose and Tansy.

FeralRebelwClaws

Yes, the 1930s is where the next vintage lies awaiting resurrection. Edwardian /Victorian names will soon be at saturation point, although I do love the flower names for girls. And three flowers I think were sadly overlooked in the rush for Ivy, Rose, Hazel, Violet et al, are Myrtle, Primrose and Tansy.

A friend has a daughter Primrose.

I have a love for old-fashioned names. DS has an old fashioned name, but with a very unusual nickname (both in general and for his name). I had a heap of old fashioned girls named picked too. Henrietta, Harriet, and I would have had Evelyn for a middle name for my grandmother.

I prefer less popular names that but are known well enough that people can smell them.

Elias, Lincoln and Angus

I thought Lincoln got trendy a few years back. Seemed to be around the time Lincoln Park the band were big. And often had ‘trendy’ spelling like Linkin.

A friend has a daughter Primrose.

I have a love for old-fashioned names. DS has an old fashioned name, but with a very unusual nickname (both in general and for his name). I had a heap of old fashioned girls named picked too. Henrietta, Harriet, and I would have had Evelyn for a middle name for my grandmother.

I prefer less popular names that but are known well enough that people can smell them.

:lol:

Ana Beavenhauser

My grandparents names were Elsie Maude, Evelyn Joan, Lynton Thomas, Bernard Edward. My generation really did/do associate them as "old people" names, I would never have thought that Elsie would come back, yet here we are with it's rise in popularity, the same with Evelyn. Edward and Thomas have been staples for a while now. God help us is Maude comes back! :shock: :lol:

Grandparents names are a good test, but depends on the age!! My grandparents were Kathleen, Leslie, Lillian and Cecil. Of those only Lillian is now popular. Can't see Cecil or Leslie coming back in.

However I could be a grandmother and I think my name due for a comeback.

I love old fashioned/old people names. But we live in an area where lots of modern, trendy names are popular so our name choices are often commented on. I think it can definitely depend on your area as to what is considered “back”.

YodaTheWrinkledOne

I love the name Azaria. It is an absolutely beautiful name. But I can't see that taking off or coming back into vogue. Not in Australia anyway.

Okay, here's some that I thought might be old-fashioned, but now you never know! I'm starting to feel a bit vintage myself :lol:

Sadie

My 6-week old niece is a Sadie :) Her big sister goes to school with a kid named Shirley, there's one I didn't think I'd hear in this generation!

Elias, Lincoln and Angus

I thought Lincoln got trendy a few years back. Seemed to be around the time Lincoln Park the band were big. And often had ‘trendy’ spelling like Linkin.

The band is Linkin Park, so those kids are named after the band. I really dislike when people mix up the spelling of traditional names. Makes it hard for the kids.

My husband and bils all have medieval names.

We gave our kids unusual names at the time, but now quite popular. We ensured that they were easy to spell also.

We were going to go with Myfanwy, but just call her Myf (again, don't believe in giving kids the shortened version of a name) but Little Britain put a stop to that.

Advertisement