IGNORED

It's my due date and still no name!

EmmaFY

Today is my due date, hormones are running rampant and we really aren't any closer to picking a name or narrowing it down to a couple.

If you followed along with the 'SIL stole my name' saga on EB (name was Penelope Kate), we went back to the drawing board, decided on a new name (Matilda Kate) and shortly after that decided it didn't fit and we've been undecided ever since.

My favourite names DH doesn't love and his favourites I don't love. We've tried taking them off the table, and in the end decided to keep them in the 'maybe' pile just in case we change our mind once we see her.

Perhaps we are putting too much pressure on a name and maybe it's being 84 months pregnant but none of the names just feel... right.

Depending on first name, we are thinking the middle name will likely remain as Kate but we also like Grace. So that's out of the way. Kinda.

Current contenders:

Florence. My favourite.

Ayla. DH's favourite.

Eloise.

Sophie.

Felicity.

So ladies, hit me with your final suggestions please. At this point we are open to anything.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EmmaFY

• Sancti-claws

• Kerilyntaryn21

• Darryl

Top Posters In This Topic

ReflectiveSky

Well, Sophie-Kate could potentially be crossed out because if you say it in a hurry, it sounds like 'suffocate'. So you could play around with combinations and see if anything else pops up like that. Also think about what nicknames and shortened bits that will inevitably happen to those names in Australia, where we all love the shortest possible way of saying something.

Well, Sophie-Kate could potentially be crossed out because if you say it in a hurry, it sounds like 'suffocate'. So you could play around with combinations and see if anything else pops up like that. Also think about what nicknames and shortened bits that will inevitably happen to those names in Australia, where we all love the shortest possible way of saying something.

Wow! I can't believe I didn't think of that! :| Thank you!

Felicity Kate. That way, it's nobody's "favourite" name and it flows nicely. Otherwise, Florence Kate or Eloise Kate, they're all very pretty names. Good luck and all the best.

So it sounds like you are not really sold on the names you have? If that is the case, just throwing a few new names out there.

Maya

Monet

Daisy

Eleanor

Lucinda

Polly

Raina

Agatha

Avalon

Geneva

Rita

Nina

Kerilyntaryn21

from you list I like Eloise, Sophie and Felicity

others Amy, Phoebe, Miranda, Bethany, Delphine, Genevieve, Gwendolyn, Vanessa, Cassandra, Amelia, Alice, Ruby, Olivia, Lillian, Caroline Elodie Eliza Fiona Imogen Rosalie Abigail, Charlotte Celeste Priscilla Clara Josephine Hazel Juliet Lucy Adeline Lydia Vivienne Natalie Olivia Victoria Evelyn Isabel Tessa Rebekah Zoe Chloe Arabelle Camille Erin Portia Hayley Holly Heidi Heather Stella Chelsea Eliana Meredith Jasmine Yasmin Tegan Taryn

I love the name Matilda so I’m possibly no help, I would go with that (actually I’d have gone with Penelope and how rude is your SIL?!) Could Kate be the first name, or Catherine with Kate as a nickname? Otherwise Florence is lovely and I don’t like Ayla at all, but what about Poppy, Gwendolyn, Phoebe, Daphne, Flora, or something really classic like Elizabeth?

ReflectiveSky

Oh - and I forgot to stress that while it's good to make sure the names work together, in real life we all hardly ever use our middle names at all. In fact, the only time I need to write or say my middle name is for official documents and forms, so the middle name isn't as crucial as how the first name and surname go together. And I gave up my favourite name for our third child because it was chosen by a mum in my friend group, and I shouldn't have worried about it at all really, because we drifted apart naturally as our kids grew up into different stages and interests.

So if you really love the name Penelope, then you can choose it (particularly if your SIL absolutely KNOWS that you mentioned liking it first), because there are hundreds of thousands of extended families with people who have the same name ON PURPOSE because of family naming traditions and so having cousins with the same first name is quite common. And unless the kids are going to be attending the same school together with the same first name/surname, it won't be a major issue at all in the end.

ClaudiaCosette

All your choices are nice. Have you considered using yours and your husband's favourites together as a first and middle? Florence Ayla or Ayla Florence would both be pretty. You could also use Kate or Grace as a second middle if you wanted to include that too - Florence Ayla Grace or Ayla Florence Kate.

Or, would your DH consider a longer name that Ayla could be a nickname for? Michaela comes to mind as a good alternative to Matilda, and could be Ayla for short.

Otherwise I think Felicity is a great alternative to Penelope. Since you like Florence and Felicity, have you considered Freya? I agree that Flora could be a good compromise, or maybe even Fleur.

Firstly - all the best with meeting your new little person soon!!!

From your list, I like Felicity the best - it gives great options depending on how she develops into a person with whole names and nicknames.

I find that the rest are probably too popular right (for my taste - we are obviously not all cut from the same cloth)

YodaTheWrinkledOne

Of the new options you have listed, I would go for Felicity Kate. A lovely name and great nn options for her in the future.

And I wouldn't tell any of your family or friends until after baby is born. Good luck!

(Throwing Elodie Kate into the mix too)

I don’t think you need to have a name picked out, just a list is fine. I had a boys name picked but a reasonably long list of girls names (with none as a front runner). When my daughter was born it took about half a day, but I just started thinking of her as one of the names. It just felt right. So don’t feel like you need the name picked in advance, the right name will come to you.

FeralRebelwClaws

I think Florence (nn Florrie or Fossie) is gorgeous.

You could use Penelope and if they use Penny as a nn you use Pippa?

My sons actual first name only get used when he's in trouble LOL otherwise most of the time its his nickname. Even at swimming, childcare and next year preschool.

Another vote for Felicity Kate.

Ayla Kate kind of makes me think of Alley Cat, but as PP said, we don't often use middle names in real life, so it probably doesn't matter (and it's a bit of a stretch, just what came to mind when I read it).

Hope all goes well with the birth and you get to meet your DD soon.

Advertisement