IGNORED

Rafferty

Wolf87

Gday all

Still in limbo waiting for amnio, but as 13 week scan was textbook I thought I’d have a look at boys names - figure if something happens I’ll be devastated regardless, so why not try and enjoy this a tiny bit.

I find boys names so much harder than girls - I had a huge list of potential girls names, but nothing for boys. So far the only name that has really grabbed me up is Rafferty, nn Raff. Couple of questions with this name....

I am Northern Irish born, moved here when 21. I am kind of drawn towards Irish boy names, but nothing too hard to spell. We have a super Greek surname tho. Is it weird to have quite an Irish FN with a Greek SN?

Also although we haven’t really discussed names yet, DH wasn’t sure about Raff as our daughter has a 4 letter 2 syllable name starting with R - and seems to think it would be too matchy. However DD name ends in y, so I don’t think so? And how often do you say names together anyway?

Any thoughts or other ideas would be great - surname starts with K and is 3 syllables, ending in S.

Don’t quote please, will edit for privacy.

Kiwi Bicycle

Raffele? And you do say names together of siblings alot.

I am not a fan of siblings sharing initials. My DH shares initials with his siblings and father. Sorting mail/ credit cards etc was a pain.

But then I heard from a friend who brother and her nephew share initials. The brother got done for some sort of money fraud, but the nephew ended up being caught up with the repercussions as he had the same initals and had to keep proving he wasn't his dad.

Guest BusbyWilkes

I think it’s great, particularly with your Irish connection. Don’t think the combo of Irish/Greek names is a concern.

Was going to suggest Rory (which I love) but may be too similar to your daughter’s name.

Others to consider

Oisin

Rian

Tadhg

Guest BusbyWilkes

Raffele? And you do say names together of siblings alot.

I am not a fan of siblings sharing initials. My DH shares initials with his siblings and father. Sorting mail/ credit cards etc was a pain.

But then I heard from a friend who brother and her nephew share initials. The brother got done for some sort of money fraud, but the nephew ended up being caught up with the repercussions as he had the same initals and had to keep proving he wasn't his dad.

You can use different middle names so that initials are not the same though?

Kiwi Bicycle

Haha DH actually shares two intials with his siblings ( as their middle names are Chineses translations of their first names). Makes it oh so hard!

I hadn’t even thought of initials matching, that really wouldn’t bother me - I am also an R first name, me and two brothers also shared initials.. This is a boy, so I guess all correspondence would be Mr - also, by the time the kids are old enough to get mail, it probably will be completely different - even now I get so little mail, everything is electronic. That fraud thing sounds super annoying!!! You’d think in this day and age it’d be easier to differentiate between the two.

Also the Rafferty ending in Y doesn’t bother me, as the two siblings names sound completely different - I’d be more concerned if the names were Amanda and Cassandra, or Ruby and Judy for example - like actual rhyming ones. DH just seemed concerned they both started in R actually now I come to think of it? Don’t really want to clarify with him yet as it’s still early and a stressful time.

I like Rian too - but same problem I guess. I also love Ryan but that’s my brothers name, so that’s out. Rory I don’t love.

Too matchy you guys reckon 😭 dammit. I love it.

Sorry don’t know how to quote on this, thanks guys!

Edited by Wolf87

ClaudiaCosette

I think your DD's name and Rafferty is fine. Yes, it's matchy, but who cares? The names are distinct enough that you while you might get confused sometimes, it's not like they rhyme. I mix up two of my girls' names ALL the time, and they are completely different (same syllable count, but different initial, different rhythm, nothing that ties them together at all).

In fact I really like your DD's name with Rafferty! I'd say go for it. It's a great name.

Edited to add: one of my kids has a Spanish first name with a Cornish last name. It's fine and no one has ever questioned it.

Really like Rafferty and really like the potential sibset. My kids' name combos are all mixed heritage. To me the combo just has to flow. I don't see a problem on any score you have mentioned. What do I think? Go for it!

Eamon

Finley

Emmett

But nah, here I'd stick with Rafferty

100% team Rafferty. I really like it.

I don't think it's a problem with DD's name as the dominant vowel sound is so different.

I don't think that any of the other concerns would be big enough for me to veto a name I liked.

Ooo thanks for telling me what I want to hear guys! 🤣

Long way to go but I do love this name, I also really like Ruairi but don’t love it with an Aussie accent 🤣 what is it with me and R names!

Thanks guys and I’ll be back if I think of any others

VeritasVinumArte

So DS1 initials match mine (which also match a brand). I didn’t realise until his first bit of mail arrived.

DS2 and DDs initials are also the same.

We have 2 syllable names and 4 syllable names.

Really don’t overthink.

So DS1 initials match mine (which also match a brand). I didn’t realise until his first bit of mail arrived.

DS2 and DDs initials are also the same.

We have 2 syllable names and 4 syllable names.

Really don’t overthink.

Yeah I didn’t really think of the initials thing until it was mentioned - that will be more of an issue for my daughter and I since we will both be Ms i guess! But as stated, we do rarely get mail these days, 70% of bills etc come to me online

• 1 month later...

any updates?

Hey! Amnio came back all clear and 20 week scan yesterday looked great! DH and I are super keen on Rafferty. So unless something comes along to knock it off the perch it’s locked in! ♥️

• Like 1

Advertisement