IGNORED

Middle name for Jack

Sui-yat

I have given birth to a baby boy. We have decided to name him Jack but are struggling with a middle name. My husband's preference is Andrew but our surname starts with a W so this would give him the initials JAW. Other options we are considering are Samuel, Thomas, Lachlan and Henry. I would love your opinions on these names and anything else you think might work well with Jack.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kerilyntaryn21

• Sui-yat

• Gudrun

• Alta Gaudia

Top Posters In This Topic

Kerilyntaryn21

I think all those mn are great, I don't think JAW is a problem. I like Samuel the best from your choices. When I saw the post, I thought Alexander. Others Benjamin, Elliott, Nathaniel, Timothy, Oliver . Are there any family names

Jersey Caramel

I agree that initials don't really matter. We use initials a lot at work (when reviewing documents etc) and basically people use either two initials or three initials depending on what looks better or to avoid any awkward acronyms. I would just go with the name you like best. I think a longer middle name goes better with a short first name, but depends what how many syllables your surname has too.

Thanks so much for your replies. Andrew and Alexander are both family names we could potentially use but both lead to the initials JAW, which I'm not sure is a problem or not! Samuel is probably the front runner from our other options at the moment.

Thanks for the suggestion of Drew, Kiwi Bicycle. I think a 2 or 3 syllable name might sound better though. Our surname has 2 syllables.

I used to think initials weren’t a big deal and then my SIL named our nephew B J Surname. Yikes. JAW wouldn’t overly bother me though, and I like Andrew, otherwise Samuel is lovely.

I would not be bothered by initials, well, maybe if it was POO or WTF and the like, but now JAW! My DD’s initials spell a work and she loves it.

I would consider initials if you are wanting a nickname - or wanting to avoid on. JJ, JD, JP and JK are all nicknames I have heard of.

Guest Alias Grace

I immediately thought Thomas and then Daniel

Daniel and Russell are probably the only middle names I would avoid pairing with Jack :P . I think Andrew is fine and wouldn't worry at all about the initials.

Pigeonpairplusone

I think Jack Alexander flows really well & is nice it’s a family name. Initials don’t matter - my elder daughters initials are CIA & no one has ever noticed, she is now 13.

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all your opinions. It looks like the consensus is the initials JAW is ok. Jack Alexander seems to be popular! I will let you know what we end up deciding.

First of all - congratulations! Secondly, JAW isn’t that bad. From your list I like Jack Samuel or Jack Thomas the best. My favourite combo would be Jack Alexander, so still JAW, but the flow is better than Jack Andrew.

His initials for most purposes will be JW. Also, as per a pp, if he's into sharks (and which kids aren't?) he might be thrilled to be able to claim JAWs. Even BJ with J as the second initial wouldn't bother me, it's the most important names that matter. It struck me the other day that with nearly 20 nieces and nephews, I struggle to remember the second name of more than a couple of them.

TheMagician

Jack Thomas is lovely.

Jack Reuben

Jack Benjamin

Jack Oliver

Jack Elliot

Jack Nicholas

Jack Sebastian

Jack Tobias

Jack Leighton

Something a bit longer goes well.

StillFreddiesMum

Congratulations on the arrival of your little boy ! I adore the name Jack - I never got to name a son but I love Jack Edward.

Advertisement