IGNORED

Hypothetical name question

la di dah

Hypothetically (I am doing IVF but everything is frozen for now...)

Is CC or Tess plausible for Celeste? I have known Esthers called Tess. Celeste is one of few girls names that tick most boxes for both of us, but we'd like a cute nickname that isn't absurdly unlikely.

We like names that are, ideally, known but not super popular, formal, not too modern, one most popular spelling, and have a nickname.

Some of them are more out there and some have much clearer nicknames.

Does CC need a middle name that starts with C to work? We do not like Cecilia as much as Celeste because we're dorks who like meanings. I do like Celeste Clare or maybe some others, feel free to suggest any.

Does Celestine/Celesta/Celestia somehow work better with the nicknames or it doesn't matter? I don't like Tina, it would still be CC or Tess.

We don't want to use just a nickname name.

Is Esther better? I like both it and Celeste and their meanings are highly compatible/comparable.

Is it worse to have the same initial as a parent (E) or the same sound (C/S) as a sibling? The siblings' names will rarely ever be said together but I like the idea they go together and it sounds like one family.

We have other names on my longer list but yeah anyway what do you think. Yes I am going weird but this helps me cope, I think.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• la di dah

• MsLaurie

• Greenbean

• IamtheMumma

Top Posters In This Topic

Kerilyntaryn21

I like Celeste, Esther and Tessa and yes I don't like Cecilia, Celia, Claudia, etc due to meanings. I don't think the same initial as parent matters, neither does the same sound as siblings. Do like same initial though. I don't like celestia, celestina, Celesta. Celeste Claire is nice, others Charlotte, Chelsea, Chantal, Cara, Catherine. The nn you chose could work, lots of nns don't even relate to a name

Not convinced by those nicknames for Celeste (although I love the name).

CC for Constance could work. (I swoon over Constance and would have used it in a heartbeat if I weren't convinced it would have become "Connie").

Thessaly could work for Tess.

I like Tess as a nickname for Celeste, it’s certainly not out there.

And not only do I have the same first initial as DD, we also share a middle name, courtesy of each having a grandmother with that name....

Celeste is wonderful and I think Tess works beautifully as a nickname. I think CC does too, but particularly if paired with another C name and Celeste Clare is just perfection (I love the meaning of the combined names too, with Clare meaning bright/clear).

Tess/Tessa would be a wonderful nickname for Celeste.

I wouldn't do CC. She's get teased about being a corn chip or called Doritos. Also brings CC Babcock to mind which is not a pleasant image.

I feel like Celeste would be more likely to become “Celly” (pronounced Sellie) than Tess.

Is there a reason you wouldn’t just use Tess or Cece as the actual name?

Yeah I don't want to pay out on nickname names for other people as I know it's perfectly normal and lots of people like it, but my liking a nickname doesn't mean I'd use it 100% of the time and I like the levels of formality. Also I like the meaning of Celeste or Esther (sky/heaven and star respectively)

Being weird, I can love a spunky retro nickname like Tess/Dot/Kit but only as a nickname.

If I was steadfastly "just call them one thing" I'd probably just use Celeste or Esther, they're not that long.

I do know Esthers called Essies or Esti - don't hate it.

We have a loooong list of girls' names but my partner got into the idea of liking astronomy/sky names. Huge range in vibe though and these two are very classic. Others are super trendy or just a *lot* of name, even if I like them.

Oh and Esther has a nice heritage feel to me, without being obscure/difficult in Australia. Some other Jewish star/sky names are hard.

One thing to think about is which initials will you use for your child.

My girl has a nickname that is a different first letter to her full name. I decided early on to use the nickname as the initial rather than the full name initial.

Note in my case, her nickname is a closer derivative of her full name. Sort of like Katrina/Trina

Does it actually matter whether the NN links directly to the chosen full name? All the ones you have suggested are pretty close and it's not like anyone is going to critique the absence of a second C and declare that they simply cannot call her CC.

I also love Celeste, such a pretty name.

ArabellaKagical

Nicknames don't have to have any relation to the name, some children get nick names that grow organically off their name, others based on personality or appearance but if you have already decided the nick name will be Tess, if you use others will pick up on it and use it as well.

IamtheMumma

Nicknames don't need to have a link. Of my 4, 2 don't have a link to their name, 1 has a hidden link that only family know as it was something she said when little that was cute and the other is a middle name.

Kiwi Bicycle

I named my DS with an idea of a nickname imbedded in it ( think, Sam from Samuel)

Guess what? We never use that nickname!

Currently DS nicknames are Cat or Skitty ( he loves that Pokemon). Those will probably change again as he is older.

My advice is forget nicknames, the child will choose their own. A friend has an Alexander. He choose Zander as a nickname, they all were thinking Alex...

ClaudiaCosette

I love both Celeste and Esther and think either would be a beautiful choice. Esther is my favourite out of the two, but Celeste is great too. They are both in that sweet spot of names that are familiar and pretty but not too common.

I also like Tess as a nickname for either. Both have the right letters, t, e, s, and the "es" sound, so for me it's not too much of a stretch. I also just really like Tess!

I like CC (I'd spell it Cece) less for Celeste, but it could definitely work. I don't think you even need to use a C middle name to use it.

And I don't mind matching initials at all.

To get CC I think it would make sense to have a C middle name.

Celeste Claire

Celeste Caroline

Celeste Charlotte

Celeste Catherine

I wouldn't get hung up on initials. Useful if you can't separate two names but otherwise distractionary from the main game.

Celeste and Esther are can't go wrong names for me. Beautiful. I also love Celestia and Celestine. So whatever goes best for your own considerations.

I wouldn't be too hung up on nicknames for either of these because they are crisp as they stand. However since you seek a nickname I really favour Essie for these two.

With Celestia and Celestine the practicalities would favour a nickname and I would choose Tess/Tessie for them.

• 2 weeks later...
Advertisement