IGNORED

Name associations

Ernegirl

Do any names have an instant association for you?

I was thinking about this after a friend named her DD Elsa, but is distancing herself from Frozen. I told her I still associate Elsa with the lion in Born Free 😂

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gudrun

• Ernegirl

• banyan

• EmmaFY

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't think of one offhand but I'm Elsa and I was born before the lion. I used to joke that the lion must have been named after me as it could not have been the other way. I was named after my grandmother. Nowadays young kids stare incredulously at the wizened old lady who claims her name is Elsa.

VeritasVinumArte

Linus. I desperately wanted to use this name for DS2 (one weekend after rewatching Oceans - Matt Damon’s character is Linus), BUT I am a huge Peanuts fan (Snoopy) so also have associations of a boy attached to his blanket.

DH totally vetoed. DS2 was lovely though and used Linus as his Confirmation name (Pope Linus was the first Pope after Peter and Paul).

I had a colleague Nicholas. I called him Nick, but anytime someone called him Nicholas, inside my head would say "cause I'm not fucking laughing Nichol-ARSE", which is what Rory Breaker says to Nick the Greek in Lock Stock.

ClaudiaCosette

Linus. I desperately wanted to use this name for DS2 (one weekend after rewatching Oceans - Matt Damon’s character is Linus), BUT I am a huge Peanuts fan (Snoopy) so also have associations of a boy attached to his blanket.

DH totally vetoed. DS2 was lovely though and used Linus as his Confirmation name (Pope Linus was the first Pope after Peter and Paul).

I also love Linus. If we'd had another boy that would have been his name. The Peanuts association is a plus for us! One of our kids has a Peanuts name as a middle name.

ArabellaKagical

Sadie the cleaning lady!

I have always had this association but I have a friend Sadie and I never associated cleaning lady with her.

I think we all have name associtations in the abstract but can overcome them for the people we know.

Advertisement