IGNORED

Differing opinions of baby names

Givingitanothergo

Givingitanothergo

So not really sure of the topic discussion. But thought I’d search my children’s names and see what people had said about them. They are weston and Airlie. Of course I love them.. but of course some very negative opinions also..

Wondering I guess if people take into account someone’s negative feedback when naming a child. Or neutral opinion. I ultimately chose both of their names and my ex husband and current partner both agreed. I don’t think anyone’s opinion of them would’ve swayed me

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Seayork2002

• ClaudiaCosette

• Prancer

• Trampoline

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my kids is jasper, when he was born and we were tossing around possibilities my mum and aunt were both like, no not jasper. But we liked it dooo that's what he got, haven't heard anything negative about it since lol. Of course they didn't have a reason, just not their style

I mentioned to my Mum in passing when pregnant with DS1 that I liked the name Matthew. She told me it sounded like a sneeze.

Never mentioned a name to anyone else after that.

ClaudiaCosette

I don't think we really mentioned the names we had chosen to anyone before our kids were born. I know some family members would have made comments. But once there is a cute baby attached to the name, they couldn't really say anything.

The only thing that impacted out decision (other than did we both like the name etc) was if someone close to us had a baby and used the same name. So a couple of our boy choices were ruled out because a few cousins of mine were pregnant around the same time and used names which were on our short-list.

Seayork2002

Our sons name is fairly standard and basic so no one really has an opinion it, other than dh no one knows our girls name if ds was a girl, it started as a joke thing but has continued so no one will ever know unless ds asks himself one day

We should never tell anyone our impending arrival's names. It is best to choose what you want and keep it quiet until they are born. Once the baby is named after the birth people more often keep the opinions to themselves. #notalways.

We should never tell anyone our impending arrival's names. It is best to choose what you want and keep it quiet until they are born. Once the baby is named after the birth people more often keep the opinions to themselves. #notalways.

My mother and grandmother assured me they liked DDs name once she was born, but not the shortened version. They kept trying to impose a different version (which I thought was horrible). Mad for some interesting discussions.

My daughter doesn't like her name :(.

Pretty sure my four daughters have asked me whether I just looked up the top 10 popular names of the 80s and threw a dart. :cry:

Kiwi Bicycle

That might be " for now" thing or it could be forever. I didn't like my name when I was little, asked my parents if I could be called Primrose or Rosemary!!!! But now I very much like my name ( even though people cannot say or spell it).

However I also know people in which their first names really don't suit them. One was a Muriel who went by her middle name Joyce and another Annmarie, her mother never used her first name and called her by a derivative of her middle name, Susie. That makes me think her mum never really agreed with the first name to start with.

IamtheMumma

I hated mine for decades. Its only been in the last decade that I don't mind it. As a child, I would have loved to have been Sarah or Elisabeth. Something normal.

I hated mine for decades. Its only been in the last decade that I don't mind it. As a child, I would have loved to have been Sarah or Elisabeth. Something normal.

I have one of those names and despaired for many years about how dull and common my name is. It’s grown on me now but my kids have much less common names.

It happens.

I dislike my name, always have. My parents obviously liked it, I try to accept they gave it to me with good intentions.

Luckily I have a nickname, my dad gave me as a baby, that everyone that is close to me uses, so I only hear my real in in a professional setting and for new people. Sometimes I don’t answer to my real name as I don’t hear it often. I think are they talking to me :lol:

Seayork2002

DS has not mentioned his name but I guess the most he can say about it is it is boring but the spelling is what it is, I did not want to give him a name that was pronounced different to it was spelt or spelt different than it normal spelling nor unusual so I am happy to stick to he may think its boring, if he thinks anything about it at all

It happens.

I dislike my name, always have. My parents obviously liked it, I try to accept they gave it to me with good intentions.

Luckily I have a nickname, my dad gave me as a baby, that everyone that is close to me uses, so I only hear my real in in a professional setting and for new people. Sometimes I don’t answer to my real name as I don’t hear it often. I think are they talking to me :lol:

I like your name. It definitely suits you.

Eta I like my name, but I dislike how my mother says it. She kind of stretches the vowels out. She also cannot say the word rissoles properly.

Silverstreak

We were stubborn when it came to DS' name, we wanted a particular old man name for him and that was that! Everyone has an opinion on names and my opinion is, name your kid what you want, somebody is bound to whinge, but if it's not their kid, they don't get a say.

I googled for opinions of all our shortlisted names but I didnt tell anyone IRL what we were considering. Only 1 of 3 of mine was named prior to birth though, and even then DH didn't realise.

I don't think we mentioned what we wanted to name DD.

Or if we did, we gave our 3 choices. So glad we didn't choose "Sarah" because I have 4 friends called Sarah and a friend with a DD by that name too!

Too confusing lol.

DD likes her name luckily.

I mentioned my daughter's name to nobody before she was born. As other PPs said "everyone has an opinion", but usually they are more polite about it after the child is born

Since I'm a single mother it meant the first time I said her name to someone was in the delivery suite after the C section. I said her full name and nickname and the OB asked if we should since happy birthday to the long name or nickname. We did the nickname and that's how she is known. I think my parents breathed a collective sigh of relief because for some random reason they thought she would have a whacky name. Whereas she has a very common name (in Australia and Greece where our heritage is from) with a slightly fashionable nickname.

I also gave her a middle name as I never had one My niece has the same middle name and I thought she would love that her older cousin has the same one (and vice versa my niece loves that her little cousin is named after her). They have a 9 year difference. It would be a bit different if they were closer in age I think

Inkogneatoh

I mentioned to my Mum in passing when pregnant with DS1 that I liked the name Matthew. She told me it sounded like a sneeze.

Never mentioned a name to anyone else after that.

Back when I was working in childcare one of the little boys had "trouble" with his name until he was about 5. Matthew always pronounced his name as Ma-chew, and it was the only word I ever heard him mispronounce. So I can see your mother's point.

My DD likes her name, but when I told her the ridiculous name that now XH wanted to name her, she said "oooh that's a cool name, I wished I was named that!". But, she's a teenager, she also thinks it's cool to pierce her own ears, draw all over herself, collect Squishmallows, and hang out on those ridiculous bed seats at Westfield. Point being, her likes and dislikes will change over time!

I did not tell anyone. I am well aware my taste in names is a bit ‘out there’. You can still sort of tell if people like it or not after the birth but it is more subtle as it seems rude after the baby has been born.

I did a name check on my kids recently and they all tell me they like their names. They are a bit out there and different themselves, so their names go along with that.

DHs grandmother loathes DS2's name. Asked repeatedly if we could change it. She brought it up again at his first bday recently and- I quote 'why didn't you name him something normal, like Gordon or Fred' (Fred was her husband). So yeah, that's been fun.

I think his name is perfect for him :)

I take opinions into account somewhat, and image evoked, and I consider general difficulty, but I don't care if everyone in the world loves it if it ticks my boxes.

My mom has issues with a lot of "normal" names and it's quite easy to horrify her.

She doesn't like most of my girl frontrunners. My boy's list she's better about but she's mortified by the potential of Ike.

She doesn't like my sister's baby name picks either 🤣

I would take serious issues into account but not just "not my style."

Advertisement